Sign in with
Your question

Hp pavillion overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2011 1:01:39 AM

Hello i Have hp pavillion dv2315nr i have temperature between 85 to 100 degrees celcuis in normal web brownsing and when im playing games it goes 90 to 115 degrees is it normal i have installed windows 7 ultimate now but before i have vista home premium i got 80 to 90 degrees in normal web browsing when i play game i got 85 to 120 degrees is it normal for nvdia geforce go 6150?

More about : pavillion overheating

a b Î Nvidia
February 21, 2011 5:57:49 PM

i don't think it was normal. in fact such temperature will easily fried your board. are sure the temperature are that high? what software did you use to monitor the temperature?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b α HP
February 21, 2011 11:51:45 PM

Those temps would have to be in Fahrenheit and, if so, that range is fine. If Celsius, your system is having a meltdown. Double check the scale being used. BTW, I assume the system is working fine otherwise. Good luck
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2011 8:51:01 AM

I mean GPU(Graphic Processing Unit) not CPU or MAINBOARD(Wistron 30B5)

Here is my Notebook Specs:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 32-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-52
Trinidad 90nm Technology (1.8 GHZ Per core)

RAM
1.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 321MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard
Wistron 30B5 (U1)

Graphics
Nvidia Defaul (1280x800@60Hz)
64MB GeForce Go 6150 (HP)

Hard Drives
156GB Western Digital WDC WD16 00BEVS-60RST SCSI Disk Device (ATA)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N ATA Device

Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Then i have this temperature readings:

Mainboard: Value Min Max

TZS0 - 61°C(138°F) 57°C(134°F) 70°C(157°F)
TZS1 - 64°C(143°F) 60°C(139°F) 73°C(163°F)

CPU: Value Min Max

Core#0 - 59°C(136°F) 55°C(130°F) 69°C(156°F)
Core#1 - 50°C(121°F) 48°C(118°F) 64°C(147°F)

GPU(Nvidia geforce go 6150):

Min : 85°C
Max: 100°C

thats all

By the way i use HWMONITOR to determine temperatures
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b α HP
February 23, 2011 10:00:11 AM

Understood. Your notebook's GPU is running VERY hot. First, get a can of compressed air and blow out the intake and exhaust vents for your system. Doing so should clear any dust that has accumulated on the heatsink/fan assemblies.

Second, listen carefully, after cleaning out, to determine if the fans are actually working.

Last, looks like you system MAY be included by a NVidia Class Action lawsuit. Cruise over to:

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

See what your options are for replacement/repair. Often, when notebook GPUs run as hot as yours, it is a sign of impending failure (I had it happen to a Dell M65).

Good luck!
m
l
February 24, 2011 8:41:29 AM

we bought it on year 2006 in US it goes into the service center here in the Philippines 2x because of this defective mainboard or GPU we got it repaired for free because of HP Extended service Warranty i've been using it for over 1 since last repair. I check the FAN it is Working Fine at speed of 100% i always check its hardware, everytime i turn it on i check the fan if its working. yeah its fine. i tried to clean it with leaf blower to clean the heatsink i got bunch of lint its all clean now it blows warm air fine. im using it with lots of care (Temperature monitor, cooling pad) but i got the same level of temperature. my only problem is the GPU But the mainboard and CPU its fine it has normal temperature which they say AMD CPU is much hotter than Intel, Im running it for more than one year but its fine it works fine. Thank you For your help..
m
l
June 10, 2011 9:01:32 PM

We have a dv2415nr, which also had the motherboard replaced by HP because it got damaged from overheating, according to what I read.
The hardware it has is almost exactly the same as yours, except the processor - AMD Turion TL-56 (1.8 GHz), which must be very similar to yours anyway.
The idle (no load) temp. readings I get are:
TZS0 49 ºC
TZS1 49 ºC

Core#0 39 ºC
Core#1 44 ºC

GPU Core 75 ºC

This is for room temperature of about 28 oC - if your room temperature is higher, your readings would also tend to be higher by about the same amount as that of the room T.
It was beacuse of your previous post that I found out that this laptop had the temperature sensors, many thanks.

IMPORTANT: when our dv2415nr started to malfunction because of the motherboard problem, I remember reading that the BIOS should be updated to version F39, which modified the control algorithm for the fans. At that time we had the previous version, F38.
I remember that after updating the BIOS the temperatures on the bottom of the case diminished significantly; even though the motherboard ended up failing anyway - guess the damage was already done.
We also bought a laptop cooler, after the repair by HP, that has a big fan (about 14 cm diameter) in the middle, and a good sized grill for air to flow towards the laptop. I have not checked how much of a difference this might make.
When playing a DVD the GPU core temp. goes up to about 82 ºC, it might go a bit higher also. This is without using the laptop cooler.
We don´t play video games, which are a lot more demanding on the GPU, so I can´t give you any info on that.
Hope this helps.

m
l
!