Rayeth

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I have been having overheating problems. My video output would turn off at random times, and I would have to shut the whole system down for an hour. This was going on for about 2 weeks, then my CPU fan failed. I got the message on my screen that the system would not boot because a fan was not functioning. I bought a CPU fan, installed, and turned on, but no video out put now. I made sure there was the right amount of thermal lubricant between the pads, none got on the mother board, and there was none leaking over the sides. The fan powers up when the computer turns on. I get a single beep from the computer, but no video. here is what I did to Trouble shoot:
`unplugged video card and put in a different computer to test vid card. Card worked.
`bought a new video card just to test in my computer, no video.
`unplugged everything but the monitor and power supply. no video.
`put different power supply in comp, no video.
`checked all connections for proper fit. no video.

I was told by a computer engineer that because my computer is always on, and has been overheating, that it is probably the capacitors on the motherboard burned out, and that I should replace my mother board, and get a better cooled tower. One meant for gaming.

I was a little hesitant to try your steps, because I didn't build my computer. I can do basic computer assembly, (replacing RAM, replacing video card, adding/replacing hard drives, replacing power supply, replacing CPU fan)

Here is my computer and set up:

HP p6320y AMD Athlon II X4 820 / 2.8 GHz Quad-Core 64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce 9100 integrated, NVIDIA Verto GT240 HD installed
ZALMAN ZM600-HP 600W powe supply
Thermaltake - Spin-Q Universal CPU Cooler
Samsung 42in HDTV main monitor, 21 in second monitor.

the mobo I am buying: ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

So my question I guess is, is the mother board the problem? and if it is, is the mother board and easy replace? or is it going to suck? my basic plan is to remove all components from the OEM case, switch all hardware from old mobo to new mobo one piece at a time to ensure I don't mess up/loose any connections, then put all the gear into a tower with a much improved cooling set up. What software will I have to install? It is still my hard drive and everything so it should still have all of my stuff....but what about the OS? I'm sorry if this all sounds kinda amateur, but our computer engineer friend recommended this site to ask my questions. He said you guys answer questions patiently and with the most information as possible. So, thank you for your time.

it does sound like it might be the motherboard, and replacement is a good idea.

the 785 is fine if your existing ram is DDR2 rather than DDR3, if you have DDR3, then go for an ASRock 880GM instead.

the Thermaltake SpinQ is a decent CPU cooler.

Because you are swapping your motherboard, you'll need to re-register Windows XP/Vista/7, if you have an OEM version, just call MS's voice services and tell a tech your old motherboard died, and they'll manually reregister for you, safely. In any case, you'll need to install the drivers for the onboard components (the motherboard itself (North- and South-Bridge), the sound, video, and network drivers.

I would set it up initially as a 'breadboard': place the motherboard on the cardboard box it came in, attach just 1 stick of ram, hard drive, and hook one monitor up to the on-board video, and see it you at least boot up.

if that works, go ahead & mount it in your (new) case. and work from there, adding components one at a time.