Sign in with
Your question

CPU is overheating, but isn't hot to the touch.

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2011 8:15:01 PM

MB: Intel BOXDH57DD
CPU: Intel BX8061613540

Hey there forum,

My CPU has suddenly begun overheating probably once or twice a day over the course of the past week or so. I had not made any changes to the software or hardware anytime near when it started to occur. I first thought to myself, "Well maybe it's dusty, I haven't cleaned it in a while." After vacuuming the fans and any area which might interrupt air flow, I found that it did not help. I then realized that I did not have a frontal fan, so I quickly installed one to the bottom front where there is a vent in the case for cold air. The air flow through my system brings cold air through the front at the bottom, runs across the MB, then is spat back out the back near the top. The Processor is held in it's own container in the very back top corner. It's fan isn't very powerful, and as far as I know, it only brings hot air out, not cold air in. Now I will stick my hand in front of both back fans when I turn it on immediately after it "overheats" and I feel nothing but nice cool air.

A few days later, I updated my BIOS and downloaded Intel Desktop Utilities. The new BIOS basically was built for "acoustic efficiency" by not having the fans on full blast at all times, but rather leaving them off or on low until the internal temperature grew, then they would supposedly turn on full blast. Problem now is, even when I'm getting warnings about the internal temperature, the fans STILL don't come on as high as they used to. Utilities will tell me on their meters that my processor will reach temps of about 200 degrees F, which I'm not sure is true or not, but I don't know why I'd have a hardware malfunction that bad.

I used to play World of Warcraft which was slightly demanding, but even then, my computer was fine with it for the longest time. Now that I've quit, I don't ask much of my computer, maybe 8 tabs up at once on a high efficiency browser, a few of them being video. It's not my power supply, it's not the position of the fans, I'm basically wondering right now if there's any other way to cool down my computer (specifically my CPU) or whether there have been software malfunctions concerning internal temperature before.

Thanks!

More about : cpu overheating hot touch

a b à CPUs
July 24, 2011 8:18:03 PM

Vacuum?
You vacuum your pc?
It might build up static electricity.

And how do you know it overheats?
How do you record the temps?Does a beeping sound alert you during overheating?
m
l
July 24, 2011 8:28:58 PM

Believe me, I'm very careful, haha. I never touch anything to metal, and if I even ever make contact in the first place (I don't usually have to), it's a light touching motion to the plastic.

The PC shuts down automatically. When I start it back up, a error code comes onto the monitor telling me the computer shut down to overheating, which I must press enter to get past and enable the OS startup.

I haven't recorded temperatures, but Intel Desktop Utilities has meters for the CPU and MB which I can check any time I want. It also has meters for every installed fan telling me how fast they're running. It actually does not make noise, but error messages coming from my lower bar near the clock will pop up telling my when it starts getting to dangerous temperatures, and what the current temperature is.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2011 8:32:55 PM

I think you might have not applied the thermal paster properly enough.

And could you give us your bios reading and your Realtemps reading?
Bios reading i am sure you know where it is as for Realtemps here is the link:
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
m
l
July 24, 2011 10:48:13 PM

Are you asking for a screenshot of the Realtemps screen while it's running?
As for the BIOS reading, I'm sorry, I'm not sure what that is.

Sorry, I've never heard of either of these before.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2011 11:00:08 PM

Download real temps and see what your cpu temp is running.
m
l
July 25, 2011 2:47:20 AM

Currently running at around 80-85 degrees C, computer has been running for about 20 minutes.
m
l
July 25, 2011 5:37:41 AM

^more then likely the culprit, clean your heatsink and cpu then make sure you reapply your thermal compound correctly. For cleaning most people recommend isopropyl alcohol, personally i just bought the arctic clean kit from a pc shop, i think its essentially the same stuff. I use arctic silver 5 as my thermal paste but there's plenty of good ones, just need a small drop in the middle of your cpu, like the size of a pea. Then when you put your heatsink back on it'll spread it out evenly and your good to go.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2011 1:30:45 PM

cherubidude said:
Believe me, I'm very careful, haha. I never touch anything to metal, and if I even ever make contact in the first place (I don't usually have to), it's a light touching motion to the plastic.

If you're going to vacuum your PC, please please please get a hand-held vacuum designed for it...just have a Google, you'll find one easily. A vacuum cleaner is powerful enough to take components off of the motherboard if you're not careful (I'm talking capacitors etc, not the HDD or graphics card). It's just not a good idea! Failing a vacuum cleaner, get a can of compressed air. :) 
m
l
July 25, 2011 7:38:02 PM

benikens said:

^more then likely the culprit, clean your heatsink and cpu then make sure you reapply your thermal compound correctly. For cleaning most people recommend isopropyl alcohol, personally i just bought the arctic clean kit from a pc shop, i think its essentially the same stuff. I use arctic silver 5 as my thermal paste but there's plenty of good ones, just need a small drop in the middle of your cpu, like the size of a pea. Then when you put your heatsink back on it'll spread it out evenly and your good to go.

Sounds good, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
m
l
July 25, 2011 7:39:36 PM

diellur said:
If you're going to vacuum your PC, please please please get a hand-held vacuum designed for it...just have a Google, you'll find one easily. A vacuum cleaner is powerful enough to take components off of the motherboard if you're not careful (I'm talking capacitors etc, not the HDD or graphics card). It's just not a good idea! Failing a vacuum cleaner, get a can of compressed air. :) 

Haha, don't worry, I've had experience vacuuming PCs for a good while, thanks for the advice though :) 
m
l
July 25, 2011 8:07:26 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I think you might have not applied the thermal paster properly enough.

I agree, or else he accidently loosened the heat sink when he was vacuuming.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2011 8:24:21 PM

cherubidude said:
Haha, don't worry, I've had experience vacuuming PCs for a good while, thanks for the advice though :) 

Naeworries mate...just don't come crying to the forum is you hear something rattling up the hosepipe at any point. ;) 
m
l
!