Sign in with
Your question

Internet randomly dies, with a twist.

Last response: in Networking
August 7, 2010 8:49:04 PM

My internet disconnects 5+ times a day. I don't think it has anything to do with throttling or torrents. I've checked out connection settings, called my ISP, and the problem has persisted when I upgraded from XP to windows 7.

I can always fix it by unplugging the modem and internet cable (coax cable with screw connector), plugging the modem back in, waiting a few secs for the first two lights (POWER, DS), plugging the cable back in, then waiting for all the lights to turn green.

I've looked into this for a while now, and it's one of those problems I've come to accept as being on "their end", or maybe hardware-related. The twist is... my speed recently bumped up from a 5-7 Mb connection to a 20 Mb, without a price increase. Upload went from about 2 Mb 5 Mb also. I guess I don't want to jinx that by having anyone from my ISP look at the connectivity issue. Not that they've ever volunteered to send anyone out.

If I can't fix it, I was wondering if anyone had advice for getting it back up a little faster. Right now it's very tedious undoing that screw cap on the cable. I was hoping for a fix that would allow me keep that in and not have to reboot the PC. I've tried stuff like disabling and enabling the connection, release/renew IP... nothing seems to help. It seems like I MUST unscrew that cable, and if I try to plug it in right after powering up the modem, I stay disconnected.
August 8, 2010 4:28:41 AM

CreeDorofl said:
My internet disconnects 5+ times a day. I don't think it has anything to do with throttling or torrents. I've checked out connection settings, called my ISP, and the problem has persisted when I upgraded from XP to windows 7.

I can always fix it by unplugging the modem and internet cable (coax cable with screw connector), plugging the modem back in, waiting a few secs for the first two lights (POWER, DS), plugging the cable back in, then waiting for all the lights to turn green.

I've looked into this for a while now, and it's one of those problems I've come to accept as being on "their end", or maybe hardware-related. The twist is... my speed recently bumped up from a 5-7 Mb connection to a 20 Mb, without a price increase. Upload went from about 2 Mb 5 Mb also. I guess I don't want to jinx that by having anyone from my ISP look at the connectivity issue. Not that they've ever volunteered to send anyone out.

If I can't fix it, I was wondering if anyone had advice for getting it back up a little faster. Right now it's very tedious undoing that screw cap on the cable. I was hoping for a fix that would allow me keep that in and not have to reboot the PC. I've tried stuff like disabling and enabling the connection, release/renew IP... nothing seems to help. It seems like I MUST unscrew that cable, and if I try to plug it in right after powering up the modem, I stay disconnected.

[#0005ff]If the fault is between your house and the telephone exchange, only your ISP can deal with the matter but that seems unlikely if you can fix it by disconnecting and reconnecting the MODEM connection. Have you tried powering the MODEM off and back on instead of weakening that screw in connection by twisting it one way then the other?

If you are downloading using a torrent, are you breaching download limits or coming close to it? Are there specific times of day wen this happens - peak times when other users in your neighbourhood get come home and connect, perhaps?
[/#000ff]
m
l
August 8, 2010 2:48:49 PM

Yeah, the modem must be powered off and on in addition to disconnecting the screw connection. That's why it's kind of tiresome, gotta do full power down, turn it back on, wait, screw it back together, wait. Sometimes it doesn't "take" and I gotta do it a second time.

The whole process probably only takes a minute but it's just aggravating.

What I don't get is why the modem cares whether the internet cable is connected to it or not. But it does... if I just power it off and back on, then I never get a new valid IP address. The cable's gotta come off and back on.

The reason I don't think it's torrents is it happens all the time when there's no torrent app running. Or anything running for that matter.
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2010 7:57:32 PM

It somewhat happened to me earlier this year.
I am paying for a 5MB DSL connection, but only get 3 because I am too far away.

My ISP is a small one doing business with a bigger one.
What happened is, that bigger one reseted the port I am on, and was getting connection lost because of that.

It might be worth a look if you're having your issue since your ISP bumped the speed.
m
l
August 10, 2010 5:05:01 AM

I hate to call them but I guess I'll go ahead. But not before trying a different modem, I've heard that might also be the issue. But then I have to call them to have them update the mac address :/  lame.
m
l
August 14, 2010 4:29:12 PM

Edit again - while my modem was a problem (old docsis rating) it was not THE problem. A service tech came out and found that I had 10 year old cabling from when it was first installed. That's been replaced and hopefully that's the end of it. So if anyone else has similar problems, don't buy the new modem right away without convincing the ISP to have a look at your wiring.
m
l
!