Fixing Incorrect Date Stamp On Digital Photos

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 20, 2005 5:36:49 PM

I have several photos from 2004 taken with my 35mm camera that when I got
developed were converted to digital. However, my camera's date stamp was set
incorrectly so that all of these photos have '03 on them instead of '04. I
am looking for some program that would enable to fix this and insert "04" in
a similar font and color over the incorrect "03". I have Microsoft PictureIt
7.0 which came with some photo CD. I tried this, and I can insert the 04
over the 03, but the font and color aren't exactly right. Anybody know of a
better way? Is there a font out there on the web that looks like the digital
font used in a Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces letters)?

Thx.

-Rich
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:36:50 PM

Rich Belthoff wrote:
> I have several photos from 2004 taken with my 35mm camera that when I got
> developed were converted to digital. However, my camera's date stamp was set
> incorrectly so that all of these photos have '03 on them instead of '04. I
> am looking for some program that would enable to fix this and insert "04" in
> a similar font and color over the incorrect "03". I have Microsoft PictureIt
> 7.0 which came with some photo CD. I tried this, and I can insert the 04
> over the 03, but the font and color aren't exactly right. Anybody know of a
> better way? Is there a font out there on the web that looks like the digital
> font used in a Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces letters)?

Others I have talked with liked results better when they cloned over the
date stamp instead of replacing it with correct info. Both are easy
enough with Photoshop and a bit of experience.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Rich Belthoff wrote:
> I have several photos from 2004 taken with my 35mm camera that when I got
> developed were converted to digital. However, my camera's date stamp was set
> incorrectly so that all of these photos have '03 on them instead of '04. I
> am looking for some program that would enable to fix this and insert "04" in
> a similar font and color over the incorrect "03". I have Microsoft PictureIt
> 7.0 which came with some photo CD. I tried this, and I can insert the 04
> over the 03, but the font and color aren't exactly right. Anybody know of a
> better way? Is there a font out there on the web that looks like the digital
> font used in a Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces letters)?
>
> Thx.
>
> -Rich

Are you telling my you have the date ON the image? Sigh. If so, you
deserve what you got.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Related resources

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:36:49 GMT, "Rich Belthoff"
<rbelthoff@no.spam.carolina.rr.com> wrote:

>I have several photos from 2004 taken with my 35mm camera that when I got
>developed were converted to digital. However, my camera's date stamp was set
>incorrectly so that all of these photos have '03 on them instead of '04. I
>am looking for some program that would enable to fix this and insert "04" in
>a similar font and color over the incorrect "03". I have Microsoft PictureIt
>7.0 which came with some photo CD. I tried this, and I can insert the 04
>over the 03, but the font and color aren't exactly right. Anybody know of a
>better way? Is there a font out there on the web that looks like the digital
>font used in a Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces letters)?
>
>Thx.
>
>-Rich
search for EXIFOR
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 9:30:18 PM

Rich Belthoff wrote:

> Is there a font out there on the web that looks like the digital font
> used in a Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces
> letters)?

Since you just need to replace 3 with 4, why not find an image which
has the number 4 and copy those pixels?
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:25:17 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Rich Belthoff wrote:
>
>> I have several photos from 2004 taken with my 35mm camera that when I
>> got developed were converted to digital. However, my camera's date
>> stamp was set incorrectly so that all of these photos have '03 on them
>> instead of '04. I am looking for some program that would enable to fix
>> this and insert "04" in a similar font and color over the incorrect
>> "03". I have Microsoft PictureIt 7.0 which came with some photo CD. I
>> tried this, and I can insert the 04 over the 03, but the font and
>> color aren't exactly right. Anybody know of a better way? Is there a
>> font out there on the web that looks like the digital font used in a
>> Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces letters)?
>>
>> Thx.
>>
>> -Rich
>>
> Are you telling my you have the date ON the image? Sigh. If so, you
> deserve what you got.

Since this photos started as film images, and I got .JPGs when I got the
negtaives developed, there is NO OTHER PLACE to put the date stamp but
on the image.

In any event, thanks for your so helpful advice.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:29:09 PM

John McWilliams wrote:

> Rich Belthoff wrote:
>
>> I have several photos from 2004 taken with my 35mm camera that when I
>> got developed were converted to digital. However, my camera's date
>> stamp was set incorrectly so that all of these photos have '03 on them
>> instead of '04. I am looking for some program that would enable to fix
>> this and insert "04" in a similar font and color over the incorrect
>> "03". I have Microsoft PictureIt 7.0 which came with some photo CD. I
>> tried this, and I can insert the 04 over the 03, but the font and
>> color aren't exactly right. Anybody know of a better way? Is there a
>> font out there on the web that looks like the digital font used in a
>> Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces letters)?
>>
> Others I have talked with liked results better when they cloned over the
> date stamp instead of replacing it with correct info. Both are easy
> enough with Photoshop and a bit of experience.

The problem is I don't have Photoshop. Are you saying they sort of
washed out the date stamp instead of trying to fix the 04? I have
Microsoft Photodraw 2000, which is fairly sophisticated, although maybe
not as good as the current version or Photoshop. Can you give me some
hint as to what tool I might use??

thx.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:29:40 PM

norm wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:36:49 GMT, "Rich Belthoff"
> <rbelthoff@no.spam.carolina.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>I have several photos from 2004 taken with my 35mm camera that when I got
>>developed were converted to digital. However, my camera's date stamp was set
>>incorrectly so that all of these photos have '03 on them instead of '04. I
>>am looking for some program that would enable to fix this and insert "04" in
>>a similar font and color over the incorrect "03". I have Microsoft PictureIt
>>7.0 which came with some photo CD. I tried this, and I can insert the 04
>>over the 03, but the font and color aren't exactly right. Anybody know of a
>>better way? Is there a font out there on the web that looks like the digital
>>font used in a Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces letters)?
>>
>>Thx.
>>
>>-Rich
>
> search for EXIFOR

Is this a program or what? I did a search on google and came up with
hardly anything??

Thx.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:30:43 PM

Toke Eskildsen wrote:

> Rich Belthoff wrote:
>

>>Is there a font out there on the web that looks like the digital font
>>used in a Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces
>>letters)?
>

> Since you just need to replace 3 with 4, why not find an image which
> has the number 4 and copy those pixels?
Hmm, now that's an idea. Not sure I can lift the pixels off one photo
that has a different background, but I'll see what I can do. I do have
some with the correct date.

Thx.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:47:06 AM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:29:40 GMT, Richard Belthoff
<rbelthoff@no.spam.carolina.rr.com> wrote:

>norm wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:36:49 GMT, "Rich Belthoff"
>> <rbelthoff@no.spam.carolina.rr.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I have several photos from 2004 taken with my 35mm camera that when I got
>>>developed were converted to digital. However, my camera's date stamp was set
>>>incorrectly so that all of these photos have '03 on them instead of '04. I
>>>am looking for some program that would enable to fix this and insert "04" in
>>>a similar font and color over the incorrect "03". I have Microsoft PictureIt
>>>7.0 which came with some photo CD. I tried this, and I can insert the 04
>>>over the 03, but the font and color aren't exactly right. Anybody know of a
>>>better way? Is there a font out there on the web that looks like the digital
>>>font used in a Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces letters)?
>>>
>>>Thx.
>>>
>>>-Rich
>>
>> search for EXIFOR

>Is this a program or what? I did a search on google and came up with
>hardly anything??

Say norm, if you're going to recommend searching on something, at least
spell it correctly.

Richard: I'm pretty sure he means Exifer. As in
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

--
Stephen Poley
Anonymous

Sorry, pressed send before adding the last sentence ...

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:47:06 +0100, Stephen Poley
<sbpoleySpicedHamTrap@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:29:40 GMT, Richard Belthoff
><rbelthoff@no.spam.carolina.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>norm wrote:

>>> search for EXIFOR
>
>>Is this a program or what? I did a search on google and came up with
>>hardly anything??
>
>Say norm, if you're going to recommend searching on something, at least
>spell it correctly.
>
>Richard: I'm pretty sure he means Exifer. As in
>http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

And I meant to say: but this is for solving a different problem to what
you have. Exifer fixes the EXIF information attached to the image, not
the image itself.

--
Stephen Poley
Anonymous

Richard Belthoff wrote:

> Toke Eskildsen wrote:
>> Since you just need to replace 3 with 4, why not find an image
>> which has the number 4 and copy those pixels?
> Hmm, now that's an idea. Not sure I can lift the pixels off one
> photo that has a different background, but I'll see what I can do.

Getting '4' isn't the main problem. '4' doesn't cover '3' completely,
so either you'll have to do some pixel-fiddling with each and every
image or you'll have to accept that the result won't be ideal.

Another idea: Forget about changing the letters. Cover the existing
timestamp with a black box and write a new timestamp on top of that.
--
Toke Eskildsen - http://ekot.dk/
Anonymous

Richard Belthoff wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> Rich Belthoff wrote:
>>
>>> I have several photos from 2004 taken with my 35mm camera that when I
>>> got developed were converted to digital. However, my camera's date
>>> stamp was set incorrectly so that all of these photos have '03 on
>>> them instead of '04. I am looking for some program that would enable
>>> to fix this and insert "04" in a similar font and color over the
>>> incorrect "03". I have Microsoft PictureIt 7.0 which came with some
>>> photo CD. I tried this, and I can insert the 04 over the 03, but the
>>> font and color aren't exactly right. Anybody know of a better way? Is
>>> there a font out there on the web that looks like the digital font
>>> used in a Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces letters)?
>>>
>>> Thx.
>>>
>>> -Rich
>>>
>> Are you telling my you have the date ON the image? Sigh. If so, you
>> deserve what you got.
>>

> Since this photos started as film images, and I got .JPGs when I got the
> negtaives developed, there is NO OTHER PLACE to put the date stamp but
> on the image.
>
> In any event, thanks for your so helpful advice.

Frankly, anyone who is so disrespectful of his images as to have a date
plastered across the image doesn't rate high on my scale. Dates belong
on the BACK of an image on paper, and in the EXIF information on a
camera image. FILES get a date. Printing one on the image itself is an
abomination.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:41:31 AM

Toke Eskildsen wrote:
> Richard Belthoff wrote:
>

>>Toke Eskildsen wrote:
>>
>>>Since you just need to replace 3 with 4, why not find an image
>>>which has the number 4 and copy those pixels?
>>
>>Hmm, now that's an idea. Not sure I can lift the pixels off one
>>photo that has a different background, but I'll see what I can do.
>

> Getting '4' isn't the main problem. '4' doesn't cover '3' completely,
> so either you'll have to do some pixel-fiddling with each and every
> image or you'll have to accept that the result won't be ideal.
>
> Another idea: Forget about changing the letters. Cover the existing
> timestamp with a black box and write a new timestamp on top of that.
I thought it might be a little difficult to fiddle with pixels on every
image. So, I opted for something a little less ideal: I put 04 over the
03. It's not perfect, but this is mainly for archival purposes anyway.
The prints are already in photo albums with notes that they are really
04 instead of 03. I just didn't want to pull one up on the computer and
get confused. It doesn't look all that bad. From now on, though, I'll
make sure the date is correct, especially after the batteries die! <grin>
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:50:57 AM

Stephen Poley wrote:

> Sorry, pressed send before adding the last sentence ...
>
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:47:06 +0100, Stephen Poley
> <sbpoleySpicedHamTrap@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:29:40 GMT, Richard Belthoff
>><rbelthoff@no.spam.carolina.rr.com> wrote:

>>>Is this a program or what? I did a search on google and came up with
>>>hardly anything??
>>
>>Say norm, if you're going to recommend searching on something, at least
>>spell it correctly.
>>
>>Richard: I'm pretty sure he means Exifer. As in
>>http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
>

> And I meant to say: but this is for solving a different problem to what
> you have. Exifer fixes the EXIF information attached to the image, not
> the image itself.

I thought it might have something to do with the EXIF info, which is not
what I need, but thanks anyway.

-Rich
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:30:28 AM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:36:49 GMT, "Rich Belthoff"
<rbelthoff@no.spam.carolina.rr.com> wrote:

>I have several photos from 2004 taken with my 35mm camera that when I got
>developed were converted to digital. However, my camera's date stamp was set
>incorrectly so that all of these photos have '03 on them instead of '04. I
>am looking for some program that would enable to fix this and insert "04" in
>a similar font and color over the incorrect "03". I have Microsoft PictureIt
>7.0 which came with some photo CD. I tried this, and I can insert the 04
>over the 03, but the font and color aren't exactly right. Anybody know of a
>better way? Is there a font out there on the web that looks like the digital
>font used in a Pentax *ist 35mm camera (sort of the broken pieces letters)?

I would simply overwrite the area with a new date on a black
background. Just make the black and text large enough to mask the
original date stamp. This would be easy to do in most image editors.
I used PSP 9 for the attached example:
!