Best graphics card for pci express 1.0 x16 Feb 2011

insomniac-3011

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Hey everyone, here's the issue, my friend just bought an hp... I told him not to i swear, anywho now he wants to upgrade his graphics card, and of course hp decided, even in 2011, it still wants to STILL build computers with only pci express x16 version 1 (not 2.0 or 2.1 like almost every computer and graphics card has!!) and still sell em for $750!
is there any graphics cards better than a Ati Radeon 5450 here in 2011, that will work in a pci express 1.0 x16 slot, remember, this is not a 2.0 or 2.1 slot so please don't post those cards, thanks a bunch!!

rockyjohn

Distinguished
What wribbs said above. You might also want to read a little more about PCIe cards and upgrading video cards at:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/pcie.html

Note that even PCIe 1.0 slots can support a capable graphics card - even a 2.0 card. The standard and popular P45 motherboard chipset that came out soon after PCIe 2.0 provided the option of using 1 slot of x16 or 2 slots that were physically x16 - using x16 cards - but the bandwidth was shared so each was like PCIe 2.0 x8 - or the equivalent of PCIe 1.0 x16. In other words, PCIe 2.0 provided enough bandwidth that they could split it in half and only the very top end cards would hit its limit - the mainstream gamer using two cards would see no difference than if he had two slots of PCIe 1.0 x16.

Typically the bigger issue in upgrading a store bought system is the limit of the PSU. What size does yours have? How many PCIe connectors? 6 pin or 8 pin?

Before you go out and buy the best graphics card out there--make sure your PSU is good enough to handle it (considering it's an OEM, it's probably not good enough). Also, check if your case has enough space and enough cooling for a good card. You probably want an externally exhausting card.

Pay attention to what CPU you have before you buy a graphics card. If you're running some sort of Pentium Dual-Core (actually a Core 2 Duo line), it might not do so hot with a top of the line graphics card.