HD5570 vs GT220 more suggestions

Cavorka

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
First of all I have read a few discussions here in the "Graphics & Display" section, and noticed that among you are some decent and smart people. So I decided to post my question here hoping I would get some wise advices.
Let's get started with the problem at hand.
I got me an AMD x2 250 CPU (we talked about this on another thread I posted earlier)slowly trying to get all the pieces for a new computer, and I don't know what kind of video card should I get. My decision for a very long time was the Sapphire Radeon HD5570. Tempting since AMD goes hand in hand with Ati,and not to mention the Pixel Shader v5.0 and Directx11. But I read a couple of reviews and even what you guys are saying here on the forum, this graphics card can't use the full benefits of the directx 11 it's just not powerfull enough etc.
The HD6xxx are much more expensive (in my country and for my budget) so I was looking at the Gigabyte GeForce GT220 ho has worser specs at least on paper.
The GeForce GT220 has pixel shader v4.0 and only directx 10 ,but it seams to be a bit better than the HD5570, at least this is what some "experts" say, and very important for me in the same price range.
My first question is, does a AMD cpu have any problem with the GeForce graphics cards ? (at the moment I have amd with ati installed on my desktop )
Second question, does a GT220 can use the full features of the directx 10 ?
The Third question, just how much the version of the pixel shader makes the difference ? Beside the fact that in the nearby future games will require v4.0 for minimum system requirements, since now the case is v3.0
If you guys have any other suggestions regarding other graphics cards in the same price range, feel free to say your opinion.
I would also like to add that I have an 17 inch monitor and I play most of my games in 1024 - 768 resolution.

I would like to go a little bit of topic here,so I can be more explicit and you guys hope to understand where I'm coming from.
I have now in my computer an Ati Sapphire x1550 AGP 512mb 128 bit. shader pixel v3.0 (don't be surprised that its an agp card and it has that shader version) with an AMD Athlon 3000+ and 1GB RAM DDR. Yes its and old computer :ange: but keep in mind this. I played : Medal of Honour Modern Warfare high settings; MW2 low settings; Call of Duty World at Wor low settings; The Witcher medium and high settings; Mass Effect medium ; ME 2 low; Necro Vision medium; Clive berkers jericho high (man that game sucked). The point is I like to play games and I dont have money to buy a top of the line computer. As long as the game runs and I don't have lag its cool with me :wahoo:
So I hope I didn't bore you to death will all this talking. Leave some interesting and helpful comments. Try to help me out here guys.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I understand you to be saying you are requesting recommendations on a card for a new system that will use a PCIe card and that the AGP card you metioned is your soon to be old system.

The HD 5570 is actually a little better card than the GT 220, particularly for gaming, with good but not great performance at 1024 x 768 resolution.

You might want to read the non-gaming card review at upgradevideocards.com which coincidentally recommends both cards at their respective budget levels, with the 5570 at the higher level, particularly for gaming. The GT 220 is really not a gaming card, and the 5570 only at the lower resolution that matches your requirement. The site has a chart tht provides some summary comparisons of performance for both cards and further down on the page recommends specific cards.

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/nongaming.html

Cavorka

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
iceclock you are wright about one thing that AGP card is faster, but I am loocking for a PCIe card.
I have changed my motherboard it has AMD3 socket with DDR3 ram support and PCIe 2.0 slot ,SATA 2. :bounce:
My powersupply is a "no name" ,I payed exactly 12 bucks for it, got it from a friend. And its 550W (If I am not mistaking), at least it what it says on the plastic. Well you get the picture , lets face it that power supply will never run at its full potential, since it doesn't have any to begin with :pt1cable:

Cavorka

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Well yes my life constantly wraps around a certain budget LOL!
Not more then 100 euros for a video card. At the moment I am strongly considering the HD 5670 from HIS. It's around the price of 92 euros I think.
http://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-video/his/radeon-hd5670-iceq-1gb-ddr5-128-bit/
But the manufacturer kinda worries me. I had in the past an HIS AGP Radeon with shader v3.0 ,the thing was my CPU was almoust constantly at 80% 100%, EVEN in idle mode when I wasn't using the computer. Never figured out why that was happening.....now I have basically the same card but from Sapphire, everything runs smooth.

mrjericho1991

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Are you kidding?you can run crysis with high settings with that card?lol.my 9800gt cant run it at enthusiast:D.

infernox_01

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010

yes it can. running at dx9 if it makes any difference as i do have windows xp, also 3gb ram and the 5570 is slightly overclocked but still runs fine on the 250w power supply ive been using for close to 4 years. i actually uploaded an album when i played it because i was shocked that my computer could produce visuals like it.

http://infernox.imgur.com/crysis

my dads computer im currently on has a 5570ddr3 version, and it plays games pretty well, i was quite surprised. he doesnt play any current games, the most recent one being ARMA. But that runs smoothly at med details on a 1680x1050 res monitor, and its the slower ddr3 5570, there is a faster ddr5 version that can match a 5670 when overclocked. I think they are a great little card for the price. I think if you want to run anything directx 11, it would be useless as it will run too slow, leave it in dx9 mode. either way it will be better than a gt220. I also believe, coming from using nvidia cards, that the ati 5570 seems to have better image quality, although i haven't used any real recent nvidia cards to compare.

Abid11

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hey guys I have a Gateway Slimline Sx2800-01

Intel Core 2 Quad processor
6GbDDr3
640Gb hdd
Nvidia geforce Gt220 1Gb
Windows 7 64bit

My problem is The annoying fan on this Model its Loud it speeds up like crazy after a Hour or 2 of General use. Im thinking its because of my Card Geforce gt220 im using a 42 Inch 720p Samsung plasma Hdtv as my moniter Via hdmi I just wanna know If i swap out my gt220 For the HD5570 Well i see an improvement? if i watch a 1080p Movie for more than 30 mins the fans start blazing and its almost impossible to play counter-strike source even tho it runs fine the fans max out right when i get into a game