Radeon hd 3650

dek48

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
fitted new graphics board to pac bell with p5s800-vmmotherboard i disabled the internal graphics,i have 2 ram slots with 512 cards,the problem is on start up the screen comes up with no video output, press on and of a few times and it comes on,then sometimes windows crashes the little blue dots stop,can anyone help please

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Need a lot more information.
Did you update the video driver?
What is the model number of the computer?
What is the size of your power supply - total wattage and number of amps on the 12 volt leg?
What exactly happens when you start it up? What do you see (the indicator lights on PC) and hear (fans, etc)?
Are you saying you do nothing more than press on and "off" a couple of times and it starts working fine for awhile?
What do you mean "the little blue dots stop"?
Did you try reseating the card?
Did you alter anything else?
Was it a new video card?
What was in the system before?

dek48

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
not yet just used the disc suplied
pac bell imedia 5070
power supply dont know
lights come on also fan and fan on gaphics card
off and on and it starts working tried this morning working fine(afraid to shut down
windows picture on screen little blue dots travelling from left to right
i did install new ram from 2x512 to 2x1gb but took back out when problem started
new card
onboard graphics

dek48

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

not yet just used the disc supplied
pac bell imedia 5070
power supply dont know( intel pentium 4 3.06ghz
lights come on also fan and fan on gaphics card
off and on and it starts working tried this morning working fine(afraid to shut down
windows picture whilststart up , on screen little blue dots travelling from left to right
i did install new ram from 2x512 to 2x1gb but took back out when problem started
new card
onboard graphics

dek48

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
sorry used a reg cleaner thought it would be best before installing sestored to previous date seems to be working ok now

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I would have thought cleaning the registry would help too. Apparently there is a problem with the cleaner on your system. Which one did you use?

After you did the restore, did you reinstall the drivers for the new card, or just go with the old, resored ones? If the old, this might indicate an issue with the new driver.

dek48

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

the reg cleaner is xp repair pro 2007
i reinstored the drivers
ive put my computer back to onboard graphics for the moment,and every thing is now running ok so i dont think there is anything wrong
with my computer (i had disabled it ,went into bios and enabled it) then went to a previous restore point
i think i saw somewhere about blowing the pocket clean where the card fits as the cards are tempremental ,i think i might try it next

rockyjohn

Distinguished
OK - blowing socket clean with canned air is a good idea.
Sorry, I thought you meant tha t after doing the restore the new card worked in the system.
You might try adding the memory back while still using onboard video.
What type of video card slots does the mobo have (PCI, AGP, PCIe)?
Please check the size of the power supply. The 3650 does not use a lot of power but older computers often had very small power supplies.

If you are not sure what kind of slots you have or just need more information about the video slots, how to find the PSU size. or other topics you might refer to these pages:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/pcie.html
http://www.upgradevideocards.com/criteria.html

dek48

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
video card slot is agp the first one
just looked at my power supply max power 250w (i think is the prob)
had money back of pc world (luckily)
mother board is p5s800-vm
does this mean new power supply motherboard and graphics card

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I am not sure where the problem is. Here is a review showing the HD 3650 pulling on 183w at load. Still with an older smaller pSU there may be an issue with power on the 12v circuit. Note that it is for a PCIe card but the AGP should not pull much more, if any, power.

What is the brand and model number of the PSU?

Do you or any over your friends have another video card with low power requirements to test with?

dek48

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

The psu is fsp group
mod no :- fsp 250-60pn a-e (pf)
ac input:- 220v - 230v - 4a 50-60hz
dc output+3.3v 17.0a(org) +5v 18.0a (red)+5vbs 2.0a (purp) +12v 1dc 8.0a +12v 2dc 14.0a -12v 0.4a
+12 8.0a (dc jack) pg signal (gray) ground (black)
(+3.3v&+5v-115max
fuse rating 5.0a 250v

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Looks like I did not put in the link above for the article I was looking at showing HD 3650 power consumption, Here is a new one I just looked up showing total system power requiirements of 125w at idle and 157w at full load:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_3650/21.html

FSP (Fortron) is a decent mainstream brand.

The problem could be with the card, PSU or mobo. I don't know what else to recommend other than trying to borrow another card and/or PSU to see if they work in the system to try to ID the source of the problem.