Sign in with
Your question

Which motherboard should I get?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 7, 2012 10:05:14 AM

I am getting ready to upgrade my computer, but need help deciding between two motherboards.
The choices are: Asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 or Gigabyte GA-Z78XP-UD3 rev 1.3 I will be using an Intel I5-2500K processor and a CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler. I have the following memory: Kingston HyperX blu 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600). I will be putting all of this in an Antec 300 case with a PC Power and Cooling 620 watt (80 plus) power supply. I will be booting from a WD 300 GB Caviar Black hard drive running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I will be picking up an additional data drive and trading out the 300 GB drive for a SSD in the future. I may OC in the future, but mostly for the fun of it. I do some light gaming, but will mostly use the PC for Internet, Email, watching videos and M/S Office applications. I know that the CPU is probably over kill, but I'm getting a sweet bundle deal from MicroCenter. (CPU for $179 and $50 off the Motherboard when purchased together). Please recommend which MotherBoard to get and suggestions on a SSD would be appreciated.

More about : motherboard

a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2012 10:15:10 AM

asus over gigabyte, heard too many problems with the z68 gigabyte boards
i prefer asrock myself
April 8, 2012 4:13:15 AM

I am familiar with the boot loop problems in the early revision Gigabyte Z68 boards, but the board I'm looking at is revision 1.3. Thanks for your input.
Related resources
April 9, 2012 5:00:50 AM

I've decided to add another option for my Motherboard selection. Please consider from the following: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, Asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 or Gigabyte GA-Z78XP-UD3 rev 1.3 I'm looking to make my purchase in the next couple of days. Please respond with your suggestion.
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 5:47:37 AM

from my understanding the asrock boards overclock the best
mine is rock stable too
any particular reason you want the extreme 4 over the extreme 3?

i dont know if this is a factor for you but, the asrock boards all come with the mounts for heatsinks from other chipsets. i reused the cpu cooler off my socket 775 system, works great!
!