/ Sign-up
Your question

Upgrading Computer - Advice Welcome Please!!!

  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 25, 2011 11:09:48 PM

Hi Guys, been here before and you were a great help.

My system is now a bit dated and I've been looking for a New setup what I mainly do is 3D Work / Maya / UDK / 3Ds Max as well as quite a big gamer.
I mainly just want to replace the core of my system / Mboard/CPU/Ram - I think my PSU can handle new stuff and I've also got another HDD. I wanna spend around £500 but don't mind pushing it a bit more, although I'm not sure whether to buy now or wait a lil longer for some new stuff...
I also think my current graphics card should be fine as well as I not long ago bought it as recommended from someone on the forum :) 

One of the deals I was looking at was the following:

I have basic knowledge and can build computers etc but am unsure on what is the best for money at the moment and what is the best combination of hardware.
Many many thanks in advance.

Graphics Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort HDCP PCI-E Graphics Card
CPU - Arctic Power 700W PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-Express 124927
RAM - OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Platinum Performance CL5 (5-4-4-18)
MBOARD - Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775 PCI-E Onboard Audio ATX Motherboard
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor
Hardrive - Samsung HD753LJ 750GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM
Antec 900 Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU

Samsung SM223BW 21.6" TFT Monitor Widescreen 1680x1050 3000:1 300 cd/m2 5ms VGA/DVI-D Glossy black
Microsoft Optical Desktop with Integrated Fingerprint Reader & Wireless Mouse 1
Hardrive - Samsung HD753LJ 750GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM

More about : upgrading computer advice

April 26, 2011 10:48:16 AM

Thanks Very much mate, Would you recommend anything better in terms of Mboard/Cpu/Ram for couple hundred more? like the Intel core i7?

As im assuming i7 is better than the i5 ? xD
Related resources
April 26, 2011 11:18:00 AM

For gaming the i7 isn't better, the i-5 is a great CPU.


If you overclock:

Arctic Cooling MX-2
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

SLI/Crossfire mobos (if you need that)
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Asus P8P67 Pro R3

Philips E-line 234EL2SB Full HD WLED LCD 23"

XFX HD 6950 XXX Dual Fan

I think you can get all that in your budget (£700?).

April 26, 2011 11:36:49 AM

Ah cool thanks mate.
Yeah im not to worried about anything other than Mboard /Ram / CPU as i'll probably just keep my radeon HD untill I need to upgrade it as I think it's quite capable of playing games on full just the rest of my setup that is letting me down.

was also looking at

The Asus P8P67 Pro R3 seems a lot better compared to the gigabyte? from looking at reviews.

Overall would you say it's better to get these now or wait a lil longer see if there is anything new coming out that is better for the money.

being a bit fussy :p  Just wanna make sure its a few years future proof xD
April 26, 2011 11:50:07 AM

Cool Thanks so much for your help mate. So overall you'd recommend just going ahead and getting :-

Intel Core i5 2500K

Asus P8P67 Pro R3

Ram [...] =MY-062-GS

and probably get the other 2 for over clocking.

Arctic Cooling MX-2
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

But yeah thanks for the help and knowledge about the latency.

April 26, 2011 12:20:49 PM

You have a good CPU, you can get just the cooler and thermal paste and overclock it to 3GHz or more and wait for the new sockets from AMD and Intel. Your video card is not very strong so it won't be held back by the CPU. By moving to Sandy Bridge you won't notice a big difference, for gaming the video card matters much more than the CPU.
April 26, 2011 1:43:43 PM

Hmm, so basically you'd recommend just waiting a few months. I agree my system is fine atm for what I do, fried one stick of ram with lifetime warranty but they're making it a massive hassle to get a new stick so I could just buy another 4gb for current setup and just wait 3/4 months for new hardware release =/

This is the new chip you mean ? :)

Once again thanks for your time.
April 26, 2011 2:41:01 PM

Cool cheers, might as well wait till then. Will bumb the price of the other's as well I guess... Thanks a lot for your help mate!