TheGhostToast

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hi, first time posting :]. This is the first time I'm building myself a computer and I will be using it mostly for gaming. I'd like some help and feedback on what I've chosen so far. Please.

I want a build that will last me a good amount of years and so I'm hoping to have a build that will be good for upgrades in the future (maybe SLI, etc. )

I'm just trying to consider the fundamental parts for now (excluding the hard drive. I think I can pick one out easy enough... Although if I'm wrong there, feel free to let me know)
I may or may not have chosen a bit of an unbalanced build so I pray that your willing to point me in the right direction :).

With the budget... Like I said I want parts that will last technology wise so I've aimed higher with parts that would be harder to upgrade (Mainly CPU). I mean I don't really want to pay much more than what I'm paying for each part at the moment but I'm open to suggestions.

And finally the list (so far):

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 1155
Motherboard - MSI P67A-GD65
PSU - Corsair GS 700W
RAM - Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 3 x 2GB DDR3 SDRAM
GPU - MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC 1 GB GDDR5
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
Case - Corsair Graphite 600T Case (The case has 2x 200mm fans but I don't know a lot about cooling so will I need much more in a system like this? A few extra 120mm fans maybe?)

Again, any suggestions for saving money, better combo's, etc are welcome. I appreciate your time and comments. Thanks.

dan4patriots

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I would suggest changing the motherboard to an Asus P8P67 Pro which is only $10 more expensive but their UEFI is much nicer than MSI, the psu to XFX P1-650X-CAH9 which costs $88.99 (before $30 rebate) also the ram to 8GB as P67 is dual channel which means in multiples of 2 like 2GB, 4GB, 8GB not triple,

TheGhostToast

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
First of all, Sorry I've taken time to reply to my own thread. Thanks
Ive looked into the motherboards and I agree that the Asus P8P67 Pro is the better option and I've picked out a 8GB set of the same Ram in the form of 2 cards of 4GB aswell.
I've also been looking further into the cases and decided to opt for the CoolerMaster Haf X.
The PSU I've been looking into but not quite decided on one. Is there a reason you suggested the XFX P1-650X-CAH9? I l've looked around a bit for that particular model but I'm not sure if its in the UK. How much higher would I need to go if I aimed for a higher level graphics card? For example, on the level of a 590GTX.