CPU Overheating, Kindly Help

manub

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I have an ASUS P5GZ-MX motherboard, intel dual core 2.5ghz processor, recently upgraded to 2gb ram(1gb hynix-new one) old 1gb ram was zion, 1tb hdd,psu local one. So my problem is my cpu is getting overheated to 67 degrees and shuts down abruptly. I changed the os, applied new thermal paste(cooler master), installed 2 new 80mm fans(cabinet), but still it\'s getting overheated and shuts down abruptly.I'm using windows 7 os(32bit). Kindly please help me out with this.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

seriously, it sounds like your heatsink is choked with dust. Have you tried using a can of compressed air to clean out the heat sink? Are you sure the heatsink is seated on the processor correctly? Have you apllied the thermal paste correctly? Most people apply way too much.

manub

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Yes i have applied the paste evenly using a bank card provided with the paste (cooler master) and only used a grain of rice sized blob . Yes the old paste was properly removed. I haven't changed the heatsink yet, but i have changed the case fan and added 1 more to it. Also few months back my computer would run even when the cpu temperature was around 75 degrees, but now it shuts down at 65 degrees. I have cleaned the heatsink properly and i have made sure that it's properly placed on the cpu. But still cant identify the source of the heat :(. Thanks for your reply :).

Hmm...yeah sure a clogged HSF will increase the heat and so will improperly applied TIM. RAM itself shouldn't be an issue unless in the process you bumped or inadvertently damaged something on the MOBO -- i.e. manhandled it while removing/replacing RAM to the DIMM(s).

Boot to the BIOS and Load Optimized Defaults, typically (F5) and if the SATA was set to AHCI then make that change. Also, you can 'try' CPU Q-Fan Control -> Enabled.

I looked at your manual and there are a boat load of jumper 'pins', make sure they are installed correctly and in their default positions; see manual - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5GZ-MX/e2800_p5gz-mx.pdf

Make sure the 4-pin HSF is indeed in the CPU_FAN header.

Look in the Task Manager 'Performance' tab for excessive CPU usage and if there is do the following:
* Windows, run MSCONFIG and select Diagnostic mode. If there's any rogue Apps i.e. CPU stressing/OC Apps this will disable them.
TM_NIS2010.jpg

Rainey

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Make sure that the new memory voltage is not higher then the CPU max bus voltage.
I have seen the CPU temperatures skyrocket if the memory voltage gets to high for the CPU you have.

You can try and remove the new memory stick and if the overheating problem is corrected then it is the new memory.

manub

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Well i have tried everything, i even got a new heatsink but the problem isn't solved. May be the problem is due to 90nm CPU? Anyways for time being i have reduced the CPU speed to 2.3 Ghz so that my computer won't shut down. Now the temperature is around 45o.