Asus bios help

jakerobson

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Have recently added a ASUS P8P67-M Pro motherboard, intel i5 processor, and 2x4gb corsair vengeance red RAM to my computer.

its an HP pavilion with a IPIBL-LB (Benicia) motherboard with an intel core 2 duo e2220 processor and 4gb RAM PC2-6400 MB/sec. i put a geforce 9600 gt graphics card in ages ago (which i put on the new motherboard)

The problem i have is it wont start up anymore and i cant seem to make any difference on the BIOS setup.

can anybody offer any assistance?

jakerobson

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
As best i could but i wasnt sure what to do with the internal usbs as they are different on each motherboard, also i wasnt sure which SATA ports to use for the hard drive and disk drive

jakerobson

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012

As best i could but i wasnt sure what to do with the internal usbs as they are different on each motherboard, also i wasnt sure which SATA ports to use for the hard drive and disk drive

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

So you basicly built a new computer in your old case, and used your old hard drive and graphics card. Have you reinstalled your operating system, or you use the one that you used with your previous motherboard?

You write "anymore". This means that it worked OK for a while, without problems, right?

You can go into BIOS. Do you see your hard drive's name/identification in BIOS? Maybe in the list of harddrives, maybe in boot settings? Do you see the correct amount of memory?

You write "it won't start up". So what exactly does it do? After the initial splash screen disappears, what happens? Is there any message on the display? Is the hard drive activity led blinking?

jakerobson

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012

When i try to boot from BIOS with my windows 7 disk i get a message saying 'cannot boot from disk - code error 5'. it hasn't worked since putting in the new bits, sorry for not being clear. All the system information on the BIOS screen is correct.

As for the hard drive light it isnt blinking

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Ahh, you are not alone, it seems to be a motherboard specific problem.
Look what I found after googling P8P67-M "code 5":
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/286125-12-asus-p8p67-boot-windows
Unfortunately no real solution there (one guy got it working with an ASUS DVD drive, really?).

All other google results for only the error message are from 2009, and they say that it's because the motherboard is old, and can't handle Windows 7's boot image, so the cure is to install a Windows XP, then boot on it, and start the a Windows 7 install (not the upgrade, but the custom one) from there. You'll end up with a "Windows.old" folder, but you can safely delete that afterwards.

If you don't want to install Windows XP just for this, there are suggestions for using a boot manager CD, and start Windows 7 from there.

But this motherboard is not from 2009... strange. What is the exact type of that motherboard? Does it say somewhere, what REVision it is? What version is the BIOS, does it have any newer BIOS on its support site?

Sorry for the questions, I'm not trying to be offensive, it's just a way of sharing my ideas. We're making progress on this, that's the main thing.

You are upgrading from a G31 chipset board to a P67 chipset motherboard. Windows will not boot.
Your OEM copy of windows is tied to your old motherboard.You need to purchase another copy of windows. According to Microsoft.

Edit: What you want to do can be done ,but it is against the Toms rules and illegal for me to tell you how.

jakerobson

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012

the mother board is on this link http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/50719/Asus-motherboard-P8P67-M-PRO-Rev-3-0-Intel

I hope this gives you enough information.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

I didn't know OEM Windows come with install CD. I mean, it is my understanding that he doesn't want to use the previously installed OS with the new motherboard. He wants to install a new copy of windows, with formatting the system partition.

This won't be of much help, rather just a commentary on the Code 5 Error. I ran into this problem ages ago when trying to install Windows 7 on an older machine (even then, it was OLD). It was an Athlon XP 3000+ on an ASRock K7S41GX motherboard, if that tells you anything, lol. Anyway, at the time, I just gave up trying to install it on that machine, because I absolutely couldn't figure it out. Much later, I read about the "fixes" that have been mentioned here, but at that point, it didn't matter. It turned out that, as szaboaz alluded to, some ASRock (and MSI, I believe) motherboards of that era had a BIOS/chipset limitation that wouldn't allow you to boot from the Windows 7 install disc.

With all that said, this should absolutely not be a problem with a current era motherboard, so I don't have any idea what's going on. If all else fails, I suppose you have two options: Try one of the workarounds for the Code 5 Error, or get a different/replacement mobo (which shouldn't be needed anyway, but it's worth a try).

And Rick is right about an OEM copy being tied to the machine that it was originally installed on, but I'm almost positive that that wouldn't cause Code 5 Error. That should only matter when trying to validate it once installed. Of course, if you're using a normal retail copy of Win 7, none of that matters anyway.

jakerobson

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
I have finally got it running, I put my old parts in then rebooted the HD with windows 7 then put my new bits in and set the SATA controller to RAID.

Thanks to all you guys for your assistance, it is much appreciated.

All older machines came with install cds.
You can order the install cd from most OEMs and the last couple I set up prompted you to burn a set up cd during initial set up.
I still have OEM cds from win95 through xp. You never know when you will get asked to fix an ancient computer. Repaired an old Compaq P3 celeron system a few weeks ago. She only uses it for internet ,email and a few office applications. So it still does what she needs it for.