Wired printer becoming wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

general_tell

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hello,

I have a wired laser printer. Is it possible to transform the printer in a wifi one ?

For instance, is it possible to add a standard wireless adapter (that you would use to link PCs via wireless) in order for my printer to become wireless ? Do you need a special wireless adapter for these devices ? If so, are they expensive ?

Solution

You can't modify your printer (unless you have some of those huge commercial printer, which I doubt). If you really want to make your printer "wireless" somehow, you'll need to buy some equipment that can connect to your present wireless network, to plug your printer to and then be shared.

As saga lout said, one way is to get a PC.

Another way would be to get a wireless router instead of that PC. You'll need to make that router an access point, and make it connect to your actual network/router via wireless. Do note though that your printer would still need to have the RJ45 plugged in...

general_tell

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Note that I already have a wireless router.

Can't be done, I'm afraid. Putting a wireless dongle into the printer's USB port wouldn't have the effect of giving it a wireless facility. You could put a small fairly old computer next to permanently connected to it and make that computer wireless with a dongle to make it a printer server if that's any help.[/#000ff]

seacliff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

A woreless router setup as an access point could work too, if you're printer has an RJ45 port on it.

general_tell

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Yes, it has a RJ45. What do I need to buy exactly ? Is it the same adapter I would buy to connect a laptop, or a computer through the RJ45 ?

seacliff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

You can't modify your printer (unless you have some of those huge commercial printer, which I doubt). If you really want to make your printer "wireless" somehow, you'll need to buy some equipment that can connect to your present wireless network, to plug your printer to and then be shared.

As saga lout said, one way is to get a PC.

Another way would be to get a wireless router instead of that PC. You'll need to make that router an access point, and make it connect to your actual network/router via wireless. Do note though that your printer would still need to have the RJ45 plugged in that router.

Solution

seacliff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Yea, an "adapter" as you call it, would work too. Just for your information, the real name of that equipment is a bridge.

seacliff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Just to make sure you understood, you physically plug your printer to the bridge, and then connect the bridge, via wireless, to your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.