2500k System - First time builder

PsychoStar

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Please critique my new build,

Approximate Purchase Date: This Summer

Budget Range: 1400-1600 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming "Mainly for the upcoming SWTOR, I know its still far out"

Parts Not Required: None

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Mainly Newegg.com, but open to other reputable sites, also have a Microcenter somewhat close

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Intel Sandy Bridge CPU

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe Later

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments:

I am a first time builder and have been doing research on this build for awhile. Was planning on waiting to put this up for a couple more months now, but saw a deal on my mobo+memory at newegg.com today so figured I would see what you'll think before I make my move. I mainly want this system to play SWTOR when it comes out later this year. Seeing how I originally planned to build this system in a couple months, is there anything on the horizon that I should wait for? Also I know the Z68 boards come out May 8th, do you think that the cost of the P8P67 Pro or any p67 board will drop? If you were me would you buy now or wait?

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Mother Board: ASUS P8P67 PRO

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) CL8

GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II/OC - I was also considering the Radeon HD 6870, I went with the 560 Ti because it has more OC potential, or at least I have read.

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB - May not purchase right away

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Disk Drive: ASUS DVD Burner

Power: CORSAIR TX750 V2

Case: COOLER MASTER CM 690 II Advanced nVidia Edition

Monitor: ASUS VH238H 23" HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor

Current deal on my MoBo+Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.633314 - plus a coupon code for 25% off the memory which is another 30$

Thanks in advance,
PsychoStar

Solution
Well, first off thats a great combo deal and the extra 25% off is awesome. I would doubt if we see P67 boards drop in price anytime soon. Z68 doesn't exactly replace them and I think will be priced at a small premium over P67. It's good ram with good voltage and timings (less important now than in days past). Your build looks good. If you were considering a Radeon card, look at the 1GB version of the HD6950. It's priced similar to the 560 Ti yet performs slightly better and uses less power (runs cooler, although that Twin Frozr II cools well). Since you want to overclock, you will need an aftermarket cooler. Look at the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or the Scythe Mugen. They are both plenty of air unless you want to go for some records. The...

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Well, first off thats a great combo deal and the extra 25% off is awesome. I would doubt if we see P67 boards drop in price anytime soon. Z68 doesn't exactly replace them and I think will be priced at a small premium over P67. It's good ram with good voltage and timings (less important now than in days past). Your build looks good. If you were considering a Radeon card, look at the 1GB version of the HD6950. It's priced similar to the 560 Ti yet performs slightly better and uses less power (runs cooler, although that Twin Frozr II cools well). Since you want to overclock, you will need an aftermarket cooler. Look at the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or the Scythe Mugen. They are both plenty of air unless you want to go for some records. The Hyper 212+ keeps my 2500k around 39*C @ 4429Mhz under load.

Solution

PsychoStar

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

Lol, Yeah I am just sick of all the blue out there. I love the case itself, great reviews and features. The colors are subjective, but they still offer the regular black +blue LEDs. The original is here: COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced .

As for the HDD, The WD Caviar Black 1TB is a SATAIII drive with 64MB cache, will I notice a difference If I went with a 32MB SATAII drive?

Wow great thoughts on the Z68 board, feel like I will take advantange of that offer. As for the GPU, they are priced very similar, now I have something else to debate. LOL Guess I am back to researching, reading a ton of articles.

Yeah I noticed I forgot to include the heatsink. I did decide to go with a Hyper 212+, and I am going to add the second fan for the push/pull. Those temps are great! Do you use fan controls or anything?

You will not notice a difference in hdds, especially if you get a ssd.

An AMD card in a nvidia case, makes me lol, but sometimes looks is a deal maker for cases. A lot of people get the 2gb 6950 to unlock to a 6970. The 560 is still a good choice. SWTOR requirements are said to most likely being low. I wouldn't be surprised if a 460 could max it.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

I had a typo on the temp...53*C under load. Oops, still good, I think. Single fan in push, just controlled off the motherboard. 2GB 6950 sitting underneath, not unlocked, but OCed to 840/1325 through MSI Afterburner.

PsychoStar

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

You're right about TOR not requiring the best of the best, but I am thinking about the future, I want this thing to run it at max even when new expansions are released.

I know an AMD in an nVidia case is funny, it makes me laugh as well. As far as a GPU is considered, I have no idea what direction to take. I don't think I am going to go with a 2GB 6950, but don't know which to choose between the 1GB 6950 and the 560 ti. The 6950 overall does perform a bit better, but prefer the size and looks of the 560 Ti. The case I choose can hold an 11inch 6950 video card but with little room to spare. The 560 Ti is only 9.5 inches. Having that extra room will be better for air circulation. What do you guys think?

Yeah those are still really good temps. From what I read the max for the 2500k is about 72 degrees C, although I have read conflicting things. Still don't know about the video card see above.

PsychoStar

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Well I bought the Motherboard and memory last night, and good thing to, because the 25% off was no longer valid today, and to top that off the memory was an additional 5 dollars off last night.

I have choosen to go with an ASUS GTX 56 Ti just looking at everything (temp, FPS for the games I will be playing, and noise) I think it is the right fit for me.

I want to thank you all for helping me.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

Good luck with your build. Let us know how it goes.