Sign in with
Your question

Can i go from A nvidia gefore card to a ati card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2011 5:20:51 PM

I read somewhere that if you switch from a nvidia geforce card to an ati card you will not be able to gain all the features of the ati card. or something along those lines.
Is that true?
Cuz my motherboard already had multiple Nvidia cards running in it, (the gts 450, 9500gs, and the gtx 460)
Now i am back to the 9500 gs and i ned to replace it asap.
Are there any new cards coming out soon?
Cuz i was thinking about getting the 6850 but dont know if i should.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 19, 2011 5:22:21 PM

Whoever said that is spewing nonsense. Just uninstall the nVidia drivers, run Driver Sweeper (google it) in Safe Mode, and install the ATI drivers. It's easy, and you will get ALL promised features.
Related resources
February 19, 2011 6:06:02 PM

any recomendations!?
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
February 19, 2011 6:30:15 PM

ptwick said:
any recomendations!?

Yes, that is a good card.

And even if you weren't to do a drive sweep, most the time there is no issues just installing the new card. The drive sweeper is more of an issue with paste drivers, but it can't hurt to do it.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2011 6:42:44 PM

Also you need to find out what type and brand of Powersupply you have now -- so that you ensure the new GPU is going to be able to have enough stable power to run ! (would hate to get a new video card and not be able to use it because the Power supply did not have enough power !

You might need to budget for a replacement Powersupply in the upgrade also which might change the decision you make !
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 19, 2011 6:46:07 PM

If it handled a GTX460 it'll run an HD6850.

Also, your Q8200 has a low clock. See if you can bring it up to at LEAST 2.8ghz.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2011 6:50:05 PM

shadow187 said:
If it handled a GTX460 it'll run an HD6850.

Also, your Q8200 has a low clock. See if you can bring it up to at LEAST 2.8ghz.

Perhaps but he never said why he is back to the 9500 instead of the 460 !! Possibly because the system was not stable with it in there ??
February 19, 2011 6:59:51 PM

i got a 700w coolermaster for 50 bucks i think im all set for power!
and i cant oc my q8200, locked bios.. lol its sucks.. im never buying brand name computers ever agaiN!
February 19, 2011 7:00:13 PM

Yes, switching brands has no effect on card performance or available features. I have done this myself with no problems.
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 19, 2011 7:03:27 PM

I think what you heard is that you will lose Nvidia perks like Phsyx that ATI cards do not have, and you just got confused on how it was worded.
February 19, 2011 7:06:03 PM

lol alot of people got the card since i did my test lol! i used to be in the top few!
February 19, 2011 7:07:18 PM

What card do you recommend then? should i get the 6850 or should i go a little lower?
February 19, 2011 7:14:12 PM

Not much of a fan of the ATI/AMD anymore, so if you're going that route, I couldn't be of any help. Good luck to you.
February 19, 2011 7:37:24 PM

it could be either one
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 19, 2011 7:42:31 PM

I'd just grab the 6850 and be done with it. What you will need sooner than later, however, is a new motherboard. This'll allow you to OC your processor.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2011 7:49:20 PM

A 6850 is fine.
Go for it!
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2011 8:57:09 PM

joshua07 said:
Not much of a fan of the ATI/AMD anymore, so if you're going that route, I couldn't be of any help. Good luck to you.

You don't need to be a fan to recommend him a card, that's pretty illogical and draconian.
February 19, 2011 9:20:18 PM

sabot00 said:
You don't need to be a fan to recommend him a card, that's pretty illogical and draconian.

Not a fan = don't know much about ATI cards = cant help.

Dont be an ass on someone else's thread.

Thank you. Have a nice day. :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2011 9:25:38 PM

joshua07 said:
Not a fan = don't know much about ATI cards = cant help.

Dont be an ass on someone else's thread.

Thank you. Have a nice day. :) 

You don't need to be a fan to know much about ATI's cards.

Say you didn't like AMD, does that automatically mean you will never read reviews of their CPU's and GPU's?
Liking (being a fan) is completely separate from knowing.

Just because I know something does not mean I like it, just because I like or dislike something does not mean I know or do not know something.
February 19, 2011 9:34:35 PM

sabot00 said:
You don't need to be a fan to know much about ATI's cards.

Say you didn't like AMD, does that automatically mean you will never read reviews of their CPU's and GPU's?
Liking (being a fan) is completely separate from knowing.

Just because I know something does not mean I like it, just because I like or dislike something does not mean I know or do not know something.

Ok, seriously? I'm not going to argue with you on this guy's thread about something stupid. Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about ATI cards, I stick with Nvidia. That's just my preference. Sorry you don't like that but if you don't have anything to help ptwick, please keep your comments off here.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 19, 2011 10:26:53 PM

joshua07 said:
Ok, seriously? I'm not going to argue with you on this guy's thread about something stupid. Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about ATI cards, I stick with Nvidia. That's just my preference. Sorry you don't like that but if you don't have anything to help ptwick, please keep your comments off here.

The only problem is that, say your presented with a scenario. The guy that requires help, let's call him Mark, has a $200 budget. ATI has a card that offers performance X, and nVidia has a card that offers performance .7(X). Both are $200.

You will recommend, against any sort of logic, the nVidian card simply because that's all you know. While right from your perspective, ignorance isn't bliss.

This thread can be pretty much locked as the OP's questions are answered. You can change between nVidia and ATI. I myself used to that; switching between an HD4650 and a 7600GT every other weekend.
!