1gb GTX460 SE vs 768 GTX460 SC

JonBeam

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Actually, after rebate the SC is $129 and the SE is $139 at compusa. I just didn't mention or link that because I wanted to limit the conversation to performance only.

As for the msi card, it's for my girlfriend. So I'd rather go with evga. I know, have used and trust their cards. I've heard a lot of good things about msi, but I haven't used one in one of my own machines yet, so I'm not sticking them in a machine built for someone else until I have personal experience with them.

id go for the 1gb se, then you can overclock it yourself to beat the full gtx460 1gb. 768mb is just not quite enough memory for the future imo. for example, my 8800gts 640mb was considered to have too much memory and was unneccessary when i bought it. if i had gone with the 320mb version i would be regretting it as it would struggle with most games now. here is an example pulled from toms vga charts http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/compare,1812.html?prod%5B3640%5D=on&prod%5B3642%5D=on most of the time the 2 cards are on par, but in some circumstances the card with the lower 320mb memory loses serious FPS, you dont want a card that does that do you????

JonBeam

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Well the problem with these two comparisons is that they don't account for the 1gb being the SE version.

Not saying the conclusion is wrong...it's what I'm leaning towards so far...but the supporting evidence isn't what it could be.

Some are hovering for less than $100 on eBay o_O but however I still stand by getting a 1GB or better card regardless of ones preferences. As for the newtboxes they are not gaming at 1920x1080 or higher with aa and af models with large textures along with possible tessellation.

JonBeam

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
The price isn't highly negotiable. The build isn't one of desire but necessity. Girlfriends laptop died from hp pavilion GPU bug. I can only take a blowtorch to it so many times ><.

So costs have to be kept down as we're both unprepared and having to rush. However, I've been using benchmark divided by $ as a determinant for other parts. Which brought about the topic. The EVGA GTX 460's hadn't been competitive at the time of post, and still from what I had seen only seemed to be around a 10-16% performance increase for a 26% price increase.

I hadn't mentioned this before now because it didn't matter, but around half way through this thread I had to make a decision. I went with the GTX 460 SE. I kept the thread going because I was interested in the answer and other people seemed to be too. Anyway, upon installation the card was toast. So thread's utility was renewed. And this is now relevant because along with above price logic I am now limited to exchanges to compusa brick and mortar stores. Ebay's out.

That said, the computer that necessity built is now built, and needs a video card to run. I'll be making my decision within the next few hours. Technical curiosity is keeping me interested in the answer to the question as nothing 100% absolutely definitive has come along, but the 1gb SE seems to be edging forward and I will most likely go with that again. Compusa changes their discounts every damn day, though, so it'll be an on the spot judgement call.

I'll probably check this thread one last time on my phone before I buy. I doubt much will change though :). Feel free to continue the discussion or post more info if anyone else is as technically curious as I am. The answer won't serve much other purpose than that at this point, though. Or to frustrate me if the 1gb turns out the loser. :p

JonBeam

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I got frustrated with the lack of knowing for certain which one was the winner so I shelled out money for the 460. I stand by my belief that at 130-140 these cards are competitive with the more expensive version with regard to performance per dollar, but not knowing was driving me mad to the point where i just shelled out the money to be certain. :p

Unfortunately I'm still curious about the answer, but I don't think anything definitive is going to come out. Which also makes picking a best answer rather difficult. I guess I'll mark it solved anyway so it's easier to tag and bag.