Sick of My LG1366 Setup! New Build.

CaseyJ70_62

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
So I'm about fed up with my Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and all its accompanying issues (whine, shitty sata 3.0 support, terrible bios) and am gonna do a little bit of an upgrade. Right now I have an i7 930 oc'ed to 3.8, 6GB of ram, a corsair HW850, and two GTX460s running in SLI. I plan on keeping the 460s for now.

I do a lot of gaming, some video editing, and general surfing. I'm wondering whether I should go with the 2500 or spend a little more and get the 2600k? I plan on doing a little overclocking.

Also, what board would everyone recommend? I'm never buying anything Gigabyte again. I have had good luck with Asus. Is their P67 Pro a solid board? How is the bios? Any other recommendations?

Is my PS gonna be sufficient for the new setup?

Finally, I finally plan on moving up to the world of SSD. I already have a 1TB WDD Black. What would everyone recommend for a SSD for OS/Programs? I was thinking of a Vertex 3 120GB. Any other recommendations? Also, there should be no issues with running either on the Intel SATA controller right? The Marvel one on my Gigabyte board is absolute garbage.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Well, if he's sick of his current mobo and wants to replace it anyway then its not such a bad idea to move on to sandy bridge. Understand, the performance upgrade will not be that amazing but if you have the money to burn and just hate your current components, then go for it!

CaseyJ70_62

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I realize that I will be virtually getting nothing in terms of benefits. However, my current motherboard is a total piece of garbage - especially in regards to its SATA support. I feel like I can sell my current stuff and make the upgrade for about $300. Or should I just deal with it until the fall?

dan4patriots

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
those "issues" you listed are not major and i would understand if it was causing you to BSOD constantly but "shitty sata 3"- do you even have a sata 3 device?, "terrible bios"?- how often do you have to mess around in there?, what "whine"?

just deal with it

About the whine - My Asus P7P55D Pro has what I think is a similar issue. When I got it I noticed it right away so I did some searching and it seems to be fairly common with my board. Basically at idle you hear a high pitch whine type sound. It's not particularily loud, but due to the high frequency, definitely noticeable.

The solution that totally fixed it for me was to just change my C States from C6 to C3.