Sign in with
Your question

Pc dead, is it the motherboard or Cpu?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 8, 2012 4:32:18 AM

Hello, as of about 2 nights ago my computer shut off on me and has not turned on since. I left it to render a video and when I returned nothing would work. The only response I get from the PC seems to be an attempt to power on where the case lighting flickers but then powers off the very same second, and then this will not happen again unless I wait about 5 minutes. It is not the psu because I have tried my spare and the same thing still occurs. I have tried disconnecting parts and still no success. The only other info I can provide is that when I first opened to check it out right after it happened, the processor was very hot, but granted I had recently been gaming for a few hours and then went to render a 720p video, abuse that it will normally take. From what I can tell there are no popped capacitors on the main board. The rig is about a year and a half old.

Main board: Msi H55-p33
CPU: i5 760 OC set to 3.8GHz

I will try to provide more info if asked, just need a confirmation before I spend 70 bucks on a quick replacement mobo

PS: sorry about spelling and grammar doing this from my tablet

More about : dead motherboard cpu

a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 4:56:05 AM

Thats a tough call, sometimes if you overheat a cpu, you can see a brown, burned, or discolored spot on it that may indicate its fried
m
l
April 8, 2012 5:05:51 AM

Blu42 said:
Hello, as of about 2 nights ago my computer shut off on me and has not turned on since. I left it to render a video and when I returned nothing would work. The only response I get from the PC seems to be an attempt to power on where the case lighting flickers but then powers off the very same second, and then this will not happen again unless I wait about 5 minutes. It is not the psu because I have tried my spare and the same thing still occurs. I have tried disconnecting parts and still no success. The only other info I can provide is that when I first opened to check it out right after it happened, the processor was very hot, but granted I had recently been gaming for a few hours and then went to render a 720p video, abuse that it will normally take. From what I can tell there are no popped capacitors on the main board. The rig is about a year and a half old.

Main board: Msi H55-p33
CPU: i5 760 OC set to 3.8GHz

I will try to provide more info if asked, just need a confirmation before I spend 70 bucks on a quick replacement mobo

PS: sorry about spelling and grammar doing this from my tablet

Pretty hard to say.....But, i don't think the cpu would cause the system to shut down like that, if it was fried. Seems like the computer would start to boot, then just stop, but it wouldn't shut down. Cpu will however, cause the system to shut down on over temp, unless you had it turned off in the bios? You may have to try de-constructing, until you figure it out. It will be difficult.....especially since it could be hdd, mbod, etc, etc. Wish i could be more help. good luck.
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2012 5:19:13 AM

GI_JONES said:
Thats a tough call, sometimes if you overheat a cpu, you can see a brown, burned, or discolored spot on it that may indicate its fried

Forgot to mention this, I checked out the CPU, and as far as I could see ( didn't wipe the the thermal paste off) it looked perfectly fine. Should I have it looked at by someone just to be safe, d prefer not to spend money on services when good communities like thus exist. I could post pictures as well in the morning. Thanks for your response btw
m
l
April 8, 2012 5:30:45 AM

Was just looking at some stuff, could a dead CMOS battery be causing this
m
l
April 8, 2012 4:11:22 PM

Going to test the cmos battery now
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 4:59:47 PM

If CMOS isn't the problem, try removing and reapplying thermal paste and reattaching heatsink (what cooler are you using?), but first inspect both top and bottom of CPU and CPU socket on board. Sounds like you don't have any temp monitoring if your CPU could get noticeably hot without any kind of indicator.

I'd have to go with a heat issue on this one, but if you've had it for over a year and gaming and 3D rendering is normal activity it is somewhat mysterious that suddenly heat would be an issue.
m
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 6:41:04 PM

a good check of the cpu and mb is to force it to make a cmos beep code. it will do this or should if you remove the video card. if it a ram stick that an issue removing the ram to force a beep code too will work.
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:47:24 PM

sharkbyte5150 said:
If CMOS isn't the problem, try removing and reapplying thermal paste and reattaching heatsink (what cooler are you using?), but first inspect both top and bottom of CPU and CPU socket on board. Sounds like you don't have any temp monitoring if your CPU could get noticeably hot without any kind of indicator.

I'd have to go with a heat issue on this one, but if you've had it for over a year and gaming and 3D rendering is normal activity it is somewhat mysterious that suddenly heat would be an issue.

The cooler is a base water cooler I got from ibuypower when I bought the PC
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:50:55 PM

smorizio said:
a good check of the cpu and mb is to force it to make a cmos beep code. it will do this or should if you remove the video card. if it a ram stick that an issue removing the ram to force a beep code too will work.

Tried this, but the computer won't even get this far. Like I said the only response I seem to be getting is the light For a millisecond and then I get no response from the PC. No sounds, lights, or anything it just becomes a box of parts with a power button ( to coin a phrase)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 2:56:00 AM

Did you re-apply thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink?
What about trying a different power supply?
m
l
!