Video card fails after shutdown

cadrilo

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Hello

I need some help with a failure in my pc.

I have just built a system with the next components:

Motherboard: Asus p8p67 LE
Processor: Intel i5 2500k
RAM: 2x4GB GSkill Ripjaws x 1600 CL9
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5830 Xtreme 1GB GDDR5
Power supply: Tagan BZ 700W

I have a rare problem with this configuration. The monitor not receive video signal when I try to start the PC immediately after shutdown. In this case, the BIOS emits 1 long beep and 3 short. However, the card fan turns. The other components are working properly.

After the failure it´s necessary to wait at least 15 minutes to return to normal. The error only occurs after shutdown, whether I make it through the on/off button as if I do it from the operating system.

Once I get to boot the computer video card seems to perform well.

I wonder if this problem is because the video card or can be a problem with the motherboard or power supply. I would like to know which component is wrong.

Thanks (Sorry, my English is very bad)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I suspect either the GPU (video card) or PSU (power supply). Do you have access to either another GPU or PSU that you could swap into the system for troubleshooting? I am leaning toward the the PSU as the problem. Please clarify.

cadrilo

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

I´m sorry. I have and old PSU and an old video card, but both of them are incompatible with my new system. I´m asking in forums like this, looking for people with the same trouble.

You are right. I will ask for a PSU and a GPU given to my friends.

Thank you

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You are welcome. The power supply swap is where I would start. Not a big fan of Tagan as a brand. I am a HUGE fan of Seasonic PSUs. They cost more, but with PSUs you get what you pay for (that is a good thing).

BTW, you English is just fine. Good luck!

cadrilo

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

Uff.., the problem is that the PSU is an used component (about 2 years old) and the warranty period is over. I do not want to buy another. I wolud like to have a Seasonic PSU but it´s very expensive for me.

I didn´t know that Tagan were a bad brand. I had read some reviews before buy it, and I was convinced it was a good PSU. It was not too cheap (120€).

Another question... Do you think that the problem is not in motherboard or in a BIOS configuration?

Thank you

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is not likely a motherboard or BIOS issue. As you described this issue, it really does seem like the GPU or PSU is the likely culprit. PSUs do wear out and yours is 2+ years old. A swap will confirm one way or the other.

Sorry. Good luck!

cadrilo

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Another thing that I have just noticed.

After the trouble occurs, If I follow the following sequence:

1 Shutdown
2 I remove the video card from the slot
3 I boot the system (obviusly the system fails without a GPU)
4 Shutdown
5 I mount the video card again in the pci-e slot
6 Now, the system boots correctly

I mean, if I follow that sequence, it´s no necessary to wait a lot of minutes to boot the system correctly.

I don´t know if that behavior may give some idea of the problem

Thank you

COLGeek

Cybernaut
OK, try this. Download, install, and run DriverSweeper (just google it). Completely remove your ATI drivers. Restart the system and then reinstall the most current drivers from ATI.com. Don't rely on Windows Update to provide the best drivers.

cadrilo

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

I followed your advice but the problem persists. I´ll try swapping the suspect components.

Thank´s

cadrilo

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

The problem has already occurred before the Windows was installed. In fact, if I disconnect all devices except RAM and GPU the problem persists and I can not even access to the BIOS.

cadrilo

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

Finally you were right, the problem was the PSU. I´ve tested my system in another PSU ( a 450w CoolerMaster) without any problem.

So I´ve bought a new PSU, a Corsair HX650W. I Think that´s a good PSU. I have already mount my PC, and all it´s ok.

Thank you very much.