HDMI Audio Problem

PandaBearz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I'm hoping to have this answered quickly, but I went to AMD's website and noticed that 11.2 was out, and I was still running 10.12 so I decided to upgrade. With the upgrade, I'm starting to have audio problems (I had these problems earlier with 10.12 but forgot how I fixed them), anyways: I have HDMI hooked up through my Diamond 5870, and have onboard video / sound disabled. So, basically my problem is this: the TV shuts the audio down unless audio is being streamed, so when you use your computer to browse and you have no audio then it's fine, but when a message pops up with a sound it usually gets cut out because my TV "refreshes" the HDMI signal, so to speak (the HDMI #1 output comes up at the top), and stays on for about 10 seconds then turns off again, so when I'm playing games and there's a dead silent part (like AFKing in WoW), then the audio will turn off until audio is being streamed again. What should I do? I've tried disabling all audio devices besides HDMI, enhancers, new HDMI cable, etc.

PandaBearz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Quick update: Loading SC2, then going to desktop and the sound works without a flaw. Checking the device, Windows says "Starcraft 2 is taking control of your sound devices." How do I permanently get this effect? ATI support is closed until Monday, I called 12 minutes after they closed.. can someone help? :/

EDIT: 32 views with no recommendations?!

PandaBearz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Seeing a decrease in performance between 10.12 and 11.2, I rolled back to 10.12 with 11.2's CCC. I still haven't figured out my sound problem.. does anyone know why it's shutting off when I'm on my desktop?

PandaBearz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Bump.. I need this fixed. I rolled back to 11.2 due to a problem with Starcraft 2. Whenever sound turns on the "HDMI #1" come up as if it refreshed the entire signal, but it's annoying.. so how do I make it constantly stream audio?

AbsoluteJoe

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
The loss of HDMI audio after switching or refreshing the signal seems to be related to the ATI driver defaulting back to DVI-D mode.
It seems to be present in the 10.x through 11.x drivers. You may also get a popup incorrectly indicating that the ATI card is connected to a DVI-D monitor.

It seems that the ATI drivers now assume DVI-D by default. So if you switch the monitor after boot time BIOS initialization, the HDMI connection does not EDID handshake properly and default the output back to no audio DVI-D mode.

I wish that ATI would put a monitor EDID display and refresh buttons into CCC to make troubleshooting a bit easier.