Nvidia 9800 GT Overheating problems

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2011 11:04:32 PM

Hello,

I have been having some problems lately and I have tried researching this up before I came and started a new topic. but what my problem is, is that when I ever get into games like Flight Simulator X and Call of Duty after a while my monitors go black and I can still hear people if i'm talking like over skype, and I can still talk but after a while they can't hear me and the only way to fix it is to hold the power button down to restart my PC. What I have found in my research is that it could be my graphics card over heating so what I have tried to do is take both sides of my case off. But this hasn't helped at all, now my computer is under my desk in a semi enclosed space but it's not too bad. Also I have 2 monitors hooked up to my graphics card which may be another problem. So I was wandering if anyone knows for sure what is going on and how to fix it or any suggestions. I hope this helps.

My PC specs:

BFG
Nvidia 9800 GT
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
2x Monitors
Foxconn G4MI-S
4 GB DDr2 RAM x2 sticks of 2 GB
Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition

-Thanks, Clay

P.S. If you guys need anymore info just ask.

More about : nvidia 9800 overheating problems

a c 173 U Graphics card
February 20, 2011 6:36:33 PM

Inspect the card for any damage such as failed caps, burn marks, missing parts. Inspect the cooler as well to check if the fan is working and the cooler isn't gull of dust.
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2011 7:02:11 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Would suggest that you determine what the temps are. Download OCCT, it will both test and monitor temps for you.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

Have you "blown out" the PC and the GFX card using compressed air to get rid of dust ?

Yes, I have and whats weird is I just did it a week or 2 ago...but I will do what both of you guys suggested.

Thanks, Clay
m
l
February 20, 2011 7:06:27 PM

Also what temp should the GFX Card be at?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 20, 2011 7:22:33 PM

Less than 70c under load. Sure the card will work well above that but it won't last for a long time though. It is best to keep it as cool as reasonable as possible like in the 60s.
m
l
February 20, 2011 7:56:02 PM

nforce4max said:
Less than 70c under load. Sure the card will work well above that but it won't last for a long time though. It is best to keep it as cool as reasonable as possible like in the 60s.

Well at idle it was running around 95! :o  but I Think I found out one of the problems, The fan on the top of my case ( the biggest one) wasn't on. And I fixed it by pluging the cable into another one...lol don't know what happened ther but now my GPU is running at 85-88 is that more reasonable and is there any other way to cool it down?

Thanks, Clay
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 20, 2011 9:34:54 PM

A new cooler big time before the card fails. A G92 can take up to some very high temps but they degrade over time to ware they are more or less unstable at increasingly lower temps or just throw artifacts ect. Mine survived a cooling failure at 112c and didn't have in game issues but found the problem when the led fan wasn't lit and the card was scolding hot. Lucky for me the vram isn't cooled by the same cooler as the core but has it's own nickle plated copper plate. :) 
m
l
February 20, 2011 9:49:38 PM

Okay I am also looking to maybe buy a new GFX Card like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I don't know if you know much about Flight Sim X but does this card give some good graphics and would it be pretty cool (as in temp :)  ) because I bought the 9800 a year or 2 ago for the same price....also what coolers would you suggest?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 20, 2011 10:15:04 PM

zalman vf900
m
l
April 24, 2011 12:07:30 AM

Ok, I have decided to buy a aftermarket cooler for my GC. And I had a question if the ZALMAN VF1000 2 Ball VGA Cooler would be better than the 900?

-Thanks, Clay
m
l
!