Feb 19, 2011
I have
oem hp m8010y
2.4ghz quad core asus pb5w-la basswood oem board
intel p965
1 or 2gb or ram (not sure)
nvidia geforce 8500gt
windows home premium 32bit os integrated into the hard disk as a partition
had an oem 350w psu and just upgraded to ocz 600w (problems occured before and after) not a psu issue

Os fails system reboots, i have restored to an earlier point, checked all of my hardware devices in device manager and it says everything is working properly. System works fine for a couple of days and then the screen freezes up, sometimes it gets artifacts, goes black and trys to reboot. I have checked the memory, hard disk, they seem ok. I have formated the hard drive and restarted from scratch. Today it has happened all over again saying the display driver has stopped responding. Is this a gpu problem or is it possible that my os system is faulty? If the gpu has failed would it prevent windows from booting up?

kalaz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Yep, GPU was slowly going. Swapped out with a Radeon HD 5830, what a difference in graphics that made. My Q6600 quad core is a bit outdated along with the memory, someday I'll have to upgrade. I was reaching temps of 98 degrees C with the old 8500gt the Radeon is running about 86 maxed out. I need to add another 140mm fan to the case I currently only have two 120mm mounted on the case. Regarding the mobo the core temps are at about 70 degrees C under heavy load is that pretty normal? It's all oem I haven't O.C. anything.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I take it you mean the CPU core temps go to ~70° C? It is a bit on the high side, but not out of the norm with a stock cooler and heavy load.

If the CPU is a B3 stepping (the old model) it is actually very normal, as it does run a bit hotter than the newer G0 model. You can use CPU-Z to check what model you have.

Increased case air flow may help you temps a bit.