Lots of problems in New built system - Please Help

arunloveshacking

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hello dear friends..

I built a new system ( a week older ). The specs are :
1. Asus P8P67 Pro ---- Intel Core i7 2600K ---- HD 6950 2GB ----- Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Cooler --- Tuniq TX-3 Thermal Paste ---- Corsair TX750W PSU ---- GSkill 4 x 2 GB Sandy Bridge RAM @ Dimm 2 and 4 (9-9-9-24) @ 1600MHz ---- Win 7 Ultimate Original 64 bit

My problems are :

1. At idle, CPU temp is around 35-41 Celsius. But at load it goes up to 56-60 celsius @ 3.4GHz ( factory speed ). Is this normal?
2.I use ASUS's Software which came with MOBO called Auto tune. So i used it to overclock ( just a press of button ). The problems are :

I:
a. Speed @ 4.3GHz ---- When restarting or booting normally, the system starts for 3-4 seconds, shuts down immediately and again restarts again. This happens even with a overclock through bios feature ( EFI Bios - When using Performance mode - ASUS owners know this probably). Is this normal?
b. Speed @ 4.3GHz ---- The temperature is around 45Celsius idle and 65 Celsius at load. Is this normal?

II:
a. Speed @ 4.7GHz --- Same restarting problem occurs but both the cases, the boot after this problem is smooth and doesnot have any effect.
b.Speed @ 4.7Ghz ---- Temperature @ Idle : 50Celsius Temparature @ load: 97Celsius ( In prime95 , two cores actually reached 98C, but did not shutdown. It ranged from 89C to 98C for nearly 45 min, then eventually I stopped).. Is this temperature ok?

I have applied TX-3 Thermalpaste ( First time user of CPU, hence I am not sure i applied well, but I believe i did ok in that job) and Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Cooler with one fan.
CASE : Thermaltake Element G with 5 Fans

So, to sum up my doubts :
1. Is this booting sequence normal or something is wrong that I should not overclock?
2. The temperature seems to a bit out of control for the paste and fan I use. Should I do anything or this temperaturess are normal at the speed?
3. Automatically, in Bios, the RAM speed is set to 1333Mhz but mine is rated at 1600MHz, so should I change it manually?

The most frustrating of all is :
It has four USB 3.0 Ports, two is given by a bracket and two built in motherboard. When Connecting my WD Passport HDD through the USB 3.0 ports(built in), every few seconds it disconnects and reconnects. Even after clean install of Windows, this happens. But connecting through the USB 3.0 brackets provided by ASUS connects without a problem. It has anything to do with the motherboard or everyone experiencing such problems?

Note : a. I have updated the bios to latest 1502 version
b. My windows 7 is upto date with SP1 ( The USB problem occurs even without Updates )

Guys, please help me out as this is my priced possession and I love these too much that I have slept sparsely since I built this system.

Regards,

Arun.S

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
98 degree temp is not good, avoid doing anything that causes that cpu temp. honestly it sounds to me like nothing is seriously wrong, you just shouldnt be overclocking that high. i would take this question to the overclocking section of the forums.

have you installed all of the motherboard drivers (generally included on a cd), including the ones for the usb 3.0 ports?

arunloveshacking

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

Hi genghiskron,

Yup, I installed All the drivers from the Motherboard DVD. The problem is , Without overclocking, the system is fine. But Overclocking makes this wierd problem. Also While booting, I have all sorts of LED's in motherboard light up for a second or so and goes off ( RAM LED, CPU LED, Graphics card LED , but I do not get any sound or beep, except the one which you get while booting ( a single small beep to let you know that system has started) ).

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
In regards to your temps, they do seem to be high.

I have a 2500k with the hyper212+ and at 4326MHz (42x multi, 103.0 BCLK) under load I am seeing 53*C on two cores and 49*C on the other two.

I have the power savings stuff enabled so it idles at around 1648MHz (16x multiplier, 103.0 BCLK) at 19*C across all four cores.

My case is a HAF 912 with 3 fans. I have a 2GB 6950 that isn't unlocked but is OCed to 840/1325 (I think).

Since overclocking (about 10 days ago), I have the same issue (ASUS P8P67 LE) when turning the computer on. It power cycles once and then goes, no problem. I'm still trying to figure that out. I just haven't had a lot of time to really dig into that issue, though I think it may be memory related. I undid (is that a word? lol) my overclock, but that didn't fix this.

You can enable XMP profile in the EFI (BIOS) to get your memory to 1600MHz. It's as hard as two clicks of the mouse.

Sorry, can't help with the USB 3 problem as I don't have any peripherals that use it. Good luck, let me know how it goes and I will do likewise.

arunloveshacking

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

Hi Hunter.

1. How to enable XMP profile( Directions pls )
2. Regarding that power cycle, When you click Load optimized defaults in Bios, Everything gets normal( you have to do it twice, first time when u boot into bios, click , save and exit. It restarts and again do it so it gets applied.. Bit weird though)

I will try enabling the xmp and post here tomorrow as I am not with the system right now. Any other suggestions for USB 3( I think ASUS replaced NEC USB 3.0 with their own called ASMedia , i doubt it is due to this problem, but I may be wrong).

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Hmm...I will try your suggestion and give you instructions when I get home from work this afternoon. I don't remember exactly what the tab is called. It might just be "memory" and then you go to about the 5th option called something like "profile" and click it and select "XMP Profile." I'll double check this later. You can also change the timings (if needed) and frequency manually by selecting manual instead of XMP profile.