Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I recently got a new motherboard and after i put things together it wont boot

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 8, 2012 1:28:53 PM

Hello,
As the title says. I took parts from my old computer that is broken and put it together. The led on the motherboard is on that means it's getting power but it will not turn on. I dont know if this is a PSU problem or not i am not that good at computer. This is my first time putting together a computer by the way.

Specs that i know
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
RAM: Kingston DDR3 2GB x 2
CPU: Cant remember brand but 2.8 Ghz Dual core
Graphic Card: Nvidia Geforce GT315
HDD: 160 Gb (Primary) 1 Tb (Secondary)
PSU: Not really sure, it's from Acer Aspire x3400

Thank you for any help

Oops, sorry if i posted in a wrong section
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 4:24:56 PM

You should provide a complete list of components. What model was the old motherboard? Is the AMD CPU compatible with the new motherboard? The ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 includes a GPU; have you tried removing the graphics card and connect your monitor to the onboard GPU?
April 8, 2012 5:11:11 PM

GhislainG said:
You should provide a complete list of components. What model was the old motherboard? Is the AMD CPU compatible with the new motherboard? The ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 includes a GPU; have you tried removing the graphics card and connect your monitor to the onboard GPU?

My old computer was Acer Aspire x3400. I have no idea what my old mother board is. I will try hooking it to the GPU now and i will come back and tell you what happen
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 5:52:09 PM

Is this your old motherbaord? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACER-ASPIRE-X3400-DESKTOP-MOTHE... How are you trying to power up the new motherboard? By shorting out the power pins on the front panel connector? If using the X3400 case, was the FP wiring standard or specific to Acer?
April 8, 2012 8:35:26 PM

GhislainG said:
Is this your old motherbaord? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACER-ASPIRE-X3400-DESKTOP-MOTHE... How are you trying to power up the new motherboard? By shorting out the power pins on the front panel connector? If using the X3400 case, was the FP wiring standard or specific to Acer?

Yes that is it. I am not using the case, it wont fit the back slot, im using a bigger case from my older Pc. But im only trying it on the cardboard to see if it works or not and it does not work. Im trying the power supply from the x3400 and this old one. I am using the 24 pin and a little 4 pin, i do not know what it is called and i dont even know if im answering your question right. I am new at this so please be patient with me, thank you. :D 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 9:12:29 PM

You installed the 24 pin and the 4 pin CPU ATX connectors. Therefore you now have power to the motherboard. How are you starting it? At a minimum you need to short the power pins (PWR SW) using a jumper or a paper clip.
April 8, 2012 9:44:11 PM

GhislainG said:
You installed the 24 pin and the 4 pin CPU ATX connectors. Therefore you now have power to the motherboard. How are you starting it? At a minimum you need to short the power pins (PWR SW) using a jumper or a paper clip.

I am using my old pc's power button to boot it

here's the pic
Spoiler





The second picture might not be clear
it's
■ □ □ □ □
□ □ □ □ □
where the black square is not a hole
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 9:51:52 PM

Unless you are absolutely sure that the pins are the same on the old and the new motherbaord, you should simply short the PWR SW pins on the motherboard. Refer to the manual if you don't know which pins to short.
April 8, 2012 10:04:35 PM

GhislainG said:
Unless you are absolutely sure that the pins are the same on the old and the new motherbaord, you should simply short the PWR SW pins on the motherboard. Refer to the manual if you don't know which pins to short.

Is it okay if we talk on skype or something ?

I have absolutely no idea what shorting pins is

I think it would be a lot easier because then you can explain to me easily

I do not have any basics learning, i've only took my old computer apart and put it back in. I thought it would be easy.

Anyway my skype is grbroter
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 10:37:41 PM

I don't use Skype. http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/M5A78L-M-USB3/Manual/26... Page 1-25 identifies the power switch pins. Temporarily short them using a dime, a paper clip or whatever else allows you to short the 2 pins. Don't worry as you can't damage anything if you short the wrong pins.
April 8, 2012 11:58:31 PM

GhislainG said:
I don't use Skype. http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/M5A78L-M-USB3/Manual/26... Page 1-25 identifies the power switch pins. Temporarily short them using a dime, a paper clip or whatever else allows you to short the 2 pins. Don't worry as you can't damage anything if you short the wrong pins.

Oh my god!!

I Got it working now, Thank you man you're the best.


The problem for me was the power button. Now i turn it on with a screwdriver! It's great!!!

Thank you so much GhislainG, My problem is solved
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 2:28:44 AM

Will you buy a new case or rewire the front panel connector of your Aspire case?
!