I7 2600k or wait for 2011 lga

The answer might depend on intended uses of said system, and of course, the cost/performance ratios of the SB-E models with newest as of yet unreleased mainboards might place it out of the running....

One thing is for certain...2500k/2600k models are fast, and they are fast 'today'.

christop

Distinguished
When socket 2011 comes out I will guess it will be way more than 1155 with a little increase in performance. I think you would be very happy with a sandy chip.

You're probably better off with LGA 1155. The only real reason to wait for LGA 2011 would be if you really needed extra memory bandwidth from quad channel RAM. LGA 2011 will also have more PCI-Express lanes than 1155, but that really isn't an issue unless you plan on running 3 video cards.

What do you plan to do? Gaming? Just get 1155. CAD/Workstation/Video? 2011 might be worth the wait. Need the absolute best? Wait.

Don't get me wrong, SB-E will be a beast, but not in ways that will give it much edge in gaming over SB. So tell us what you want to do with the computer and we'll try to help.

xxfmsxx

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
thanks all
what i want to do is play few games and upscale movies
i have 2100 i3 thinking of upgrade it to 2600k and 4gb more
later im may replace mobo and do 560 sli
so should i upgrade now or wait as im doing sli
and will 2011 have huge increase in preformance

oh does any one know if 2011 will change ram to ddr4 or something else

SNB-E will be far more expensive than 2600K -- somewhere around $1000, $600, and $450 for the three introductory models. The mainboards will also be more expensive than the average 1155 board. RAM will be quad-channel DDR3.

Will performance be worth the cost? Maybe in a few professional-level applications where getting things done faster saves the company money. For games? No way.

xxfmsxx

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009

i didnt thought it will be real expensive so i think i will stay with 1155 for long
(any thoughts how long will it last untill it become old and slow for gaming)