New Win 64 Build, 24gb Installed, 2.99 Usable (21gb Hardware Reserved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimzn

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Big Bang XPower X58
i7-960 1366
24gb 1600mhz Corsair Dominator
1050w Corsair PSU
evga GTX 580
120gb Corsair SSD

Yes I'm using Windows 64-Bit.
Yes the motherboard literature states it supports up to 24gb of ram.
No there is not an option in the bios for memory remapping.
Yes I've ensured the max memory setting is unchecked in msconfig > boot > advanced.
No I have not attempted any overclocking or bios manipulation yet.
Yes the bios and cpuz see all 24gb, detected in triple channel as it should.
I've double checked the socket, no bent pins, processor is properly seated, and H100 water cooling head is only finger tight.
Lastly, yes I know I can only use up to 16gb in Home Edition, but ram is cheap, so I got it anyways.

I'm at a complete loss as to the cause of this. Help please

Solution
Hmm...so you have (3) Dual Channel kits, first do NOT use XMP.

* Use BIOS 1.6, I noted "Improved memory compatibility" in 1.5, so there's no point in upgrading from 1.4-> 1.5 so 1.4->1.6 use M-Flash -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Quv86FmgtY

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v

/Note I don't post too many MSI, but I know what needs to be set/

BIOS:
DRAM Timing Mode -> Manual;
Advance DRAM Configuration /Enter and select (CH1-3) sets them all the same:
CH1-3 1T/2T Memory Timing -> 2
CH1-3 CAS Latency (CL) -> 9
CH1-3 tRCD -> 9
CH1-3 tRP -> 9
CH1-3 tRAS -> 24
/
QPI Voltage (V) -> 1.25v~1.30v ; I would start at 1.30v and try lower voltages (not lower than 1.20v)
DRAM Voltage (V) -> 1.50v~1.55v ; I would start at 1.55v...
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Geez what's wrong 5 of your 6 DIMM slots not working?! Obviously a huge issue. Yeah, I was going to ask you which specific Windows x64...I can see you figured-out that limit of 16GB.

I haven't look at you manual (yet) but if there's something like 'Memory Protect' try it both ways; only older ASUS you needed to Enable as I recall. Once you answer the following I'll dig into your manual. It might behoove you to Clear CMOS and do it correctly, unplug to PSU for 4 minutes then follow the directions in the video (Jumper or Clr CMOS button); see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Q - What EXACT kit or Kits of Corsair? ; please provide a link.
Q - What BIOS revision?

Crimzn

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Thanks for the welcome!

I didn't notice anything within BIOS such as Protection, or anything to manipulate memory aside from memory overclocking. I recently tried both enabling and disabling the extreme memory profile which correctly auto detects my ram, setting the timings and voltage to their capacity, yet this left the problem at hand unaffected. I'll get back to you on the CMOS clearing.

In the meantime:
Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345
BIOS: Rev 1.4

Hmm...so you have (3) Dual Channel kits, first do NOT use XMP.

* Use BIOS 1.6, I noted "Improved memory compatibility" in 1.5, so there's no point in upgrading from 1.4-> 1.5 so 1.4->1.6 use M-Flash -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Quv86FmgtY

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v

/Note I don't post too many MSI, but I know what needs to be set/

BIOS:
CH1-3 tRCD -> 9
CH1-3 tRP -> 9
CH1-3 tRAS -> 24
/
QPI Voltage (V) -> 1.25v~1.30v ; I would start at 1.30v and try lower voltages (not lower than 1.20v)
DRAM Voltage (V) -> 1.50v~1.55v ; I would start at 1.55v and try lower voltages (not lower than 1.50v)

Save & Exit = Yes

Solution

Crimzn

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I flashed to 1.6 and set your manual settings jaquith, and viola, I have 16gb. I bow down to you lol.

My previous googling had turned up a lack of results from bios flashing as a solution to this problem, so I looked over it.

Cpuz is seeing my dram frequency as 532 however, so I guess I'll have to go back and take that off auto and set a manual ratio as well.

Crimzn

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Highest mem ratio it allows is 8, but I set it to 6 as it produced the 1600mhz we were looking for. Guess with mem you work with all values x2 to get the final speed right?

Anyways, after 5 failed boots I jumped backed to BIOS and set it back to auto. Kind of surprised me that it wouldn't work considering we're already giving it more voltage that its spec's require for that speed.

Try, the following. 8!? How does that math workout, there is a read-only Adjusted DRAM Frequency (MHz) which would indicate the Frequency. Keep in mind you have three sets of Dual Channel memory so all of the 'Rated' stuff goes out the window, you're running Tri Channel plus with the burden of two sticks per channel.

BIOS:
Memory Ratio -> 8
CH1-3 tRCD -> 9
CH1-3 tRP -> 9
CH1-3 tRAS -> 24
/
QPI Voltage (V) -> 1.35v ; 1.35v is about the highest IMC voltage that is safe.
DRAM Voltage (V) -> 1.60v ; up to +0.20v is still safe.

Crimzn

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Tried all those setting, even going up as far as 1.65 with the DRAM volts, but not a single successful boot yet.

Unfortunately googling this issue turns up a majority opinion that overclocking with 24gb 6x4 requires too much voltage for the processor and is generally unsuccessful. Maybe I should just kick 3 sticks and try running with 12gb?

Crimzn

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Well, I'm not trying to break any benchmarks, just get the snappiest action from my games and Adobe suite. You think I'd fair better for that purpose with 12gb overclock to their advertised timings, or my 24gb at stock?

I'm more into 'stability' than pushing (anything) aka gambling on stability for +0~2FPS...does that answer the question? ;)

/edit
Imagine gaming for a couple hours and you're ... just about there and ... poof BSOD! Or rendering for 4 hours on a 4:30 hour render and ... poof BSOD!

zelie

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

I have a Asus p6tse board 24gb installed and reckognised in bios but only 16gb usable.
Inorder to get this to work 1 stick in bank a2 and a1 and one stick in b1 and c1 which starting from the cpu is a2 and a1 nex to it the 4th sot is b1 slot 6 is c1.This from whot I have red is a windows 7 premium isue as windows 7 premium 64 will only work on max 16gb.Just as a footnote duel chanell ram and try chanell is the same you motherboard detirmins its usage .Try chanell ram is sold in packages of 3 only so you are guarsnteed of geting 3 sticks the same but buying 3 8gb kits still works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.