Upgrade dell poweredge 2850 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I can buy 2 dual core 64big Xeon processors at 2.8Ghz each. For $60 for both.
http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=65927

At the moment my Power edge 2850 has two single core Xeon CPU running at 3.4Ghz.

Would I see a improvement at all in performance?

I am running Vmware ESXi with 4 guest OS .
It is mainly a file server, but I do use it for converting video, running game servers, web sights, FTP server.

Solution
This is confusing. If you are running ESXi, replacing the CPUs shouldn't change anything to the VMs as they are somewhat isolated from the hardware. If you have legit copies and they need to be registered again, then just call Microsoft and explain the situation.

You'll see a performance improvement only if the processors are busy enough. Only you can tell how busy they are, but $60 isn't that expensive for the performance improvement. Hopefully you disk subsystem isn't too much of a bottleneck.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
O and 2 of those guess OS are M$ servers 2008 and 2003. I only have a 1 time activation, on those and have activated them. I am guessing I will loosed those, if I upgrade the CPUs. Is that correct?

nigelren

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

Hi
I used http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php to try and get and idea of relative performance of CPU's, it isn't always going to match exactly, but it gives some ideas.

This is confusing. If you are running ESXi, replacing the CPUs shouldn't change anything to the VMs as they are somewhat isolated from the hardware. If you have legit copies and they need to be registered again, then just call Microsoft and explain the situation.

You'll see a performance improvement only if the processors are busy enough. Only you can tell how busy they are, but $60 isn't that expensive for the performance improvement. Hopefully you disk subsystem isn't too much of a bottleneck.

Solution

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Thanks for you help , But sadly with a little bit more digging, I found out that my server is on the the first version of the 8850 and the motherboard doesn't support the dual core processors only single cores :(
I am just glad I found it out before I went and bough the CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.