Which ASUS Z77 motherboard?

gkendall

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
So which ASUS motherboard do you plan to buy? Newegg has them listed. Looking for good price/performance.

Thanks.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I recommend getting ASUS Sabertooth Z77 like sharkbyte5150 said... Here's a review and the product to buy it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeumbWp-A0s&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw&index=2&feature=plcp
(the buy link is under the description, if your in US, click on the US one, the CA is Canada...)

OR you can buy a cheaper board for $160 from MSI which is good but SaberTooth is better in every way...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGfQGnvnwnQ&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw&index=1&feature=plcp
(buy link is below description)

Gymna

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
When they were first announced the P8Z77-V Pro seemed to be one of the top of the line boards without breaking the bank. Sells for around $229

I've recently discovered that the P8Z77-V seems to be very similar with just a few less usb ports/features. Sell for around $209

I'm kind of hoping to see more responses in this thread. I personally really like ASUS boards but can't figure out for the life of me which is the one I'll need for my upcoming build. Sure the pro will handle anything I could possibly throw at it, but ASUS has other lower end boards all the way down to $149 with the P8Z77-V LX

Also here's the SABERTOOTH Z77 which is around $239 at the moment

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Yes, just like with Z68, the non only difference between the Pro and non-Pro version of the P8Z77 is a couple less SATA 6Gb/s ports. The non-Pro has an extra PCI-e 3.0x16 compared to the P8Z77-V LE, and then the LX has a few less overall features from there. With your own graphics, if you you plan to run Crossfire on PCIe 3 you'll need either the V or V Pro because the LE and LX have only one port.

The Sabertooth doesn't really provide much beyond the Z77-V, but the V is only single PCIe3 @ 16, while Sabertooth is dual, and Sabertooth seem to be geared more for overclocking.

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Ordered the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro LGA1155 Z77. I will need the ports. Was going to go Sabertooth but my concern was overall size as the MID Tower i'm getting isn't THAT wide and is known to be hard to get aftermarket CPU heatsinks into.

gkendall

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
OK, I decided to go with the Pro:

P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard

I compared all the ASUS choices on the ASUS website and first eliminated the LE and LX because they didn't have the slots to do SLI. I then compared the Deluxe, the P8Z77-V and the Pro. The Deluxe has a few extra features such as eSATA and ASUS SSD caching, but neither of those were important to me so I eliminated the Deluxe due to the cost.

So that left me comparing the -V and the -V Pro. They are almost identical from the ASUS website comparison. The main difference that mattered to me was that the Pro has 4 chassis fan connectors and the -V has 3. They both have 1 optional fan connector, but I wasn't sure what that was. The case I ordered ( COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper ) has 4 fans, so I figured it would be best to get the Pro since it has 4 connectors. I know the Pro version of previous generations of ASUS motherboards has been good, so it seemed safest to spend the extra $20 and get the Pro.

satanicdoggy

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
i really just wanna get this updated board itl be my first time buying a motherr board and puting 1 in my new case n stuff everything first ..never buaght a board before i was gonna get the z68 gen 3 pro intell i seen z77 was newer n better and i really just wanna get the reguler p8z77-v and not the pro version for 209 is good nuff for me ..if it has the UEFI BIOS and virtu im good ?

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Me, I have scoped them all out and will get the Deluxe (TIMES 3!). I think the wireless port has a lot of potential as my family starts getting into tablets so that is the PRO or the Deluxe. $50 more for the deluxe but I plan on buying 3 Ivy Bridge chips and o/c the hell out of them so the Deluxe just has a more stable power supply and on board diagnostics that has saved me on more than one occasion.
Mind you, the difference between the low end and the high end is a LOT of cash, BWTH.
Good question about UEFI on all the boards, I just checked the ASUS site and all Z77 boards seem to have UEFI.

satanicdoggy

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
thank you ! i aslo looked at asus site too ..they all have uefi bios and the virtu .. orderd n getting my asus z77 - v non pro ...board ups tomrrow wit my new case ...those 2 things .and strip down my new gateway i got last month like all the drives and ram from it and everyhtings going into my new z77 board.. and the new case ....and throwing my small gateway case and mother board ..in my closet ...the gateway pc is that dx 4860 ub33p from best buy ..kinda new but acs weird boots up slow at 3.00 ghzs? and the intel hd graphics 2000 ...lags and freezes on any video with winamp...i dont no what it can be...but thats y i decided to buy a z77 board and and bigger case so i can just learn how to put together a custom pc any ways lol :L) :kaola: for my first time

xionas

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
The V-Pro doesnt have any extra SATA 6gb/s or 3gb/s. I just checked it.

The V-Pro has 2 more ASMedia USB 3.0 at mid-board

The non-V-Pro doesnt come with the ugly Q-shield.

In conclussion, I would go with the non-V-Pro.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

You're right, that only applied to Z68.
On Z77, Pro has 2 extra onboard USB3.0 headers, better power phase design for OC'ing, and extra chassis fan connector.

spyfish

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Well, that kind of depends what you want. The MSI one got a couple of advantages over the Asus one

- Z77A-GD65 comes with a much better Audio Chip, ALC898. While the Asus one got ALC892. Bot of them got intel nics, which is good.
- Z77A-GD65 have lower power consumption than the Asus one
- Z77A-GD65 lower pricing

But
- Saber tooth got 5 year warranty
- That fancy Armor thingy
- Better Fan control
- more usb3 ports

Myself im trying to choose between the P8Z77-V PRO (or non-pro) and Z77A-GD65. The number of ports are not that important to me, but sound is.

The ALC898 audio chip have had allot better test-results than ALC892, not sure if i would notice the difference on my stereo though. But the combination of better Audio and Power consumption makes me lean towards the MSI Z77A-GD65

Both board seem to have similar performance and OC capabilities.

This is the best review of Z77 boards i found so far. It in dutch, but easily understandable if translated with google.
http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2652/20-intel-z77-moederborden-vergelijkingstest

They are testing 20 different Z77 boards, quite extensive testing but no OC.

flashpop

Honorable
May 30, 2012

What do you think of the Asus P8Z77-V Premium? Especially against the new Maximum V Extreme? I considered both, but the P8Z77-Premium has more USB ports, eSata ports, I believe more sata ports. The Maximum would require a full size case for it's extended self. I just don't know. Any opinion is welcome!