Graphics card for price range 150 -250

rnl1987

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
hello. ive been searching for a month now and cannot decide on what card i want to get.
Im running a
phenom ii 955 at 3.9 ghz
4 gig ripjaws at 1600 mhz
and gigabyte 870a-ud3 board
and currently have a 9600 gt card

with my res at 1280 buy 1024 i can almost run crysis maxed out no aa,with decent gameplay but not quite im pretty sure the cpu is carrying the video card extreamly, i plan on getting a new card and a new 1080p hd moniter and i wannna be able to play all games at a decent framerate with no lag at max settings dont care about aa and af much just max settings. so my question is what card should i go with at the 150 -250 price range willing to overclock as well. been looking for a month or so just cannot make up my mind. PLEASE HELP

also if there are new card coming out soon worth waiting for i can wait if not i want one as soon as possible

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I'd definitely go with the GTX 560 Ti. Yes, the 6950 theoretically could be unlocked, but you get what you pay for, people. There's a reason those cards are $100 cheaper than the 6970, and what happens when AMD releases an update that kills support for firmware-modified cards? Just my opinion on unlocking GPU's. I always buy what I need for my setup - not something that I hope will unlock to it in order to save myself the money.

Oh, and since it's designed to run as a 6950, it will probably run hot and loud if you try to make it into a better card with everything made for something that should run cooler.
/Off-topic

Great choice. MSI is probably my favorite brand alongside EVGA and G.Skill.
I'd say to go with either that MSI model, or an EVGA if you want it to exhaust out the back of your case. It pretty much depends on how you want your airflow to work. That MSI should definitely keep a lot cooler, though. :D Probably what I'd go with of the two.

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
kinda hard to compare the two considering the 460 is roughly 100 dollars cheaper. if you want to save some cash get a 460 It will play almost all games at 1920x1080 let alone your res. If you want power get the 560Ti

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

From the OPs very first post

i plan on getting a new card and a new 1080p hd moniter and i wannna be able to play all games .. with no lag at max settings dont care about aa and af much just max settings.

A GTX 560 will for the most part do that, but even that will fall short on certain games, so why you would suggest a GTX 460 to be able to "run every game on the market at max details easily" is beyond me.

Almost everything you said is false. The HD6970 and HD6950 share the same processor, pcb and cooling. This is why using an HD6970 BIOS on an HD6950 works. AMD's pricing of the two cards is based on market research and competition, like every other video card. The failure rate of unlocking is extremely low and the process is safe, easy and reversible because the cards are designed with a backup BIOS activated with a physical switch. AMD would need to stop supporting the HD6970 entirely to stop supporting unlocked HD6950s. Do some research and/or think a little rather than passing off ignorance in lieu of advice. Here is a fairly comprehensive article on the subject;
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159