Monitor Doesn't Respond (Ram Stick Problem)

fuzzles128

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hey guys,

After Memory Diagnostic told me that there was an error in my memory I wanted to test my two ram sticks to see which one was faulty. The computer started perfectly once I took the first one I realized the other Ram Stick had the problem. After removing that and replacing the first one I took out my computer monitor wouldn't respond even though the tower was running. I tried resetting the CMOS using the Jumper and Battery Removal Method and the problem is still happening. I drained the PSU and waited 15 minutes before replacing the CMOS Battery. Any suggestions guys? I'm really stumped.

fuzzles128

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Uhh no, I haven't tried to remove the video card yet. I'm not sure if I can pull it out without having to unscrew it and my experience with hardware is limited. I have an ATI HD 5700 GPU, its not inbuilt into the motherboard. When you say 'modules' I assume you mean the Ram Sticks? Yes, I unpowered the tower before removing the ram sticks and I didn't break or bend them either.

-edit- The Keyboard and Mouse won't power up either, so its not just the monitor. I just cleaned out my GPU which was very dusty and put it back in, it didn't have any effect when I started the computer again.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
It's really easy to remove and reinsert a video card (very similar to RAM). If you do have to unscrew anything the screw is just there to secure the card and is not critical to the operation of your computer (unless you drop the screw inside somewhere and it shorts the motherboard).

fuzzles128

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Yeah I figured it out, the GPU was very dirty but it didn't make any difference after detaching it and plugging back in. Is there a certain amount of time I should leave my video card out or should I try something else?

fuzzles128

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I disconnected the hard drive and GPU, the fan spins alot faster but the keyboard still doesn't power up. I reckon it must be an issue with the Ram Sticks. I just don't understand why they won't work though. I know there was a memory issue with one of the Ram sticks but the Ram sticks should still work.

-Edit- And yes mouse and keyboard are plugged in through USB

fuzzles128

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I think it means that the Ram is not inserted or something. But I didn't put the ram back in properly. I found in the manual it says "8E" - Program the peripheral parametres Enable/Disable NMI as Selected.