Sign in with
Your question

Monitor Doesn't Respond (Ram Stick Problem)

Last response: in Motherboards
April 8, 2012 2:30:27 PM

Hey guys,

After Memory Diagnostic told me that there was an error in my memory I wanted to test my two ram sticks to see which one was faulty. The computer started perfectly once I took the first one I realized the other Ram Stick had the problem. After removing that and replacing the first one I took out my computer monitor wouldn't respond even though the tower was running. I tried resetting the CMOS using the Jumper and Battery Removal Method and the problem is still happening. I drained the PSU and waited 15 minutes before replacing the CMOS Battery. Any suggestions guys? I'm really stumped.

More about : monitor respond ram stick problem

a c 81 } Memory
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 4:14:35 PM

Was the PSU powered off when you swapped the modules? I presume that the known good module doesn't work either? Have you removed and reinserted the video card (unless you use an onboard GPU)?
m
l
April 9, 2012 12:54:07 AM

GhislainG said:
Was the PSU powered off when you swapped the modules? I presume that the known good module doesn't work either? Have you removed and reinserted the video card (unless you use an onboard GPU)?

Uhh no, I haven't tried to remove the video card yet. I'm not sure if I can pull it out without having to unscrew it and my experience with hardware is limited. I have an ATI HD 5700 GPU, its not inbuilt into the motherboard. When you say 'modules' I assume you mean the Ram Sticks? Yes, I unpowered the tower before removing the ram sticks and I didn't break or bend them either.

-edit- The Keyboard and Mouse won't power up either, so its not just the monitor. I just cleaned out my GPU which was very dusty and put it back in, it didn't have any effect when I started the computer again.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 1:04:32 AM

It's really easy to remove and reinsert a video card (very similar to RAM). If you do have to unscrew anything the screw is just there to secure the card and is not critical to the operation of your computer (unless you drop the screw inside somewhere and it shorts the motherboard).
m
l
April 9, 2012 1:13:27 AM

jsrudd said:
It's really easy to remove and reinsert a video card (very similar to RAM). If you do have to unscrew anything the screw is just there to secure the card and is not critical to the operation of your computer (unless you drop the screw inside somewhere and it shorts the motherboard).

Yeah I figured it out, the GPU was very dirty but it didn't make any difference after detaching it and plugging back in. Is there a certain amount of time I should leave my video card out or should I try something else?
m
l
April 9, 2012 10:33:29 AM

My Tower is still out of action. Anyone else have any other suggestions??
m
l
a c 81 } Memory
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 12:32:21 PM

Make sure that you didn't dislodge any connector while working in the system.
m
l
April 9, 2012 1:40:21 PM

GhislainG said:
Make sure that you didn't dislodge any connector while working in the system.

I checked all the power connectors. Everything is connected properly.
m
l
a c 81 } Memory
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 2:00:18 PM

Does the system power up or not? If not, then also check the front panel connector.
m
l
April 9, 2012 2:30:20 PM

The tower powers up, all the fans run for the GPU and Processor. Although nothing nothing else but the tower will power up.
m
l
a c 81 } Memory
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 2:36:44 PM

Since the PSU powers up, have you checked voltages with a DVM? What happens if you disconnect everything (leave the keyboard connected) and remove the video card? Does the keyboard (PS2 or USB?) get power?
m
l
April 9, 2012 2:45:24 PM

I disconnected the hard drive and GPU, the fan spins alot faster but the keyboard still doesn't power up. I reckon it must be an issue with the Ram Sticks. I just don't understand why they won't work though. I know there was a memory issue with one of the Ram sticks but the Ram sticks should still work.

-Edit- And yes mouse and keyboard are plugged in through USB
m
l
a c 81 } Memory
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 2:56:45 PM

Unfortunately the bad memory module might have damaged the motherboard. Does it beep if no memory is installed (presuming that a case speaker or an onboard piezo is installed)?
m
l
April 9, 2012 3:00:49 PM

Ahh no it doesn't, It does however show an "E8" Error code on a small glowing lcd on the MB. However it shows that even with the Ram sticks plugged in.
m
l
a c 81 } Memory
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 3:08:01 PM

What does that error mean? I can't look for it as you never provided a list of components in your system.
m
l
April 9, 2012 3:21:25 PM

I think it means that the Ram is not inserted or something. But I didn't put the ram back in properly. I found in the manual it says "8E" - Program the peripheral parametres Enable/Disable NMI as Selected.
m
l
a c 81 } Memory
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 3:38:44 PM

Did you reinstall the RAM properly? What motherboard do you have?
m
l
April 10, 2012 12:59:01 AM

Yeah, I did. It was firmly pressed in with the tabs locked in (white slots for DDR3). I have an Asrock P55 Pro/USB3 Motherboard
m
l
a c 81 } Memory
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 2:44:29 AM

If a good module is installed in slot DDR3_B1 and it doesn't work, then the motherboard might have been damaged. I'd definitely test it outside of the case or have it tested by a competent shop. The issue could be something else like the video card, etc.
m
l
April 10, 2012 5:37:17 AM

Alright, thanks. Will do.
m
l
!