P8Z77-V Pro vs Z77 Sabertooth

alegomaster

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hi, I am planning to get a Z77-V Pro or a Z77 Sabertooth, but I can't decide. Can someone give me the differences between these two motherboards and opinions so that I can decide.

alegomaster

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

It seems like the sabertooth would be better for overclocking then the other board. Is it? Also, does the sabertooth have the gpu overclocking like the other board.

andrewcarr

Distinguished

GPU overclocking isn't board specific. The board only affects the CPU overclocking.

The P8Z77-V should actually be better for overclocking. This board and the pro just lack the expensive heat-sink across the entire surface. The added WiFi should also be a nice feature.

Don't see any reason to get the Pro version over the regular. I actually can't find a difference. Most of the special features are just gimmicks to make certain models look better than others.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Found three difference this feature isn't on the regular model.
- ASUS Q-Shield
This is just a labeled I/O back port versus the typical metal one.

ASUS Q-Shield
Easy and Comfortable Installations
The specially designed ASUS Q-Shield does without the usual "fingers" - making it convenient and easy to install. With better electric conductivity, it ideally protects your motherboard against static electricity and shields it against Electronic Magnetic Interference (EMI).
http://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/P48rppKk4jrc9pNd/Q-Shield.jpg

Second is that the Pro has 2 onboard USB 3.0 connectors (4 total ports) and the regular model only has one (2 total) which only matter for front panel connection.

Last is the Pro has four system fan headers and the regular one has three stystem fan headers. The pro doesn't have a TPM connector though which the regular version has.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
It will still be fine. They are designed good that the heat-sink is adequate, as long as the case has reasonable airflow you are fine. I personally believe it would do better than the Sabertooth motherboard that giant metal cover is rather useless.

alegomaster

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Ok, I am planning to go with the P8Z77-V unless someone can convince me otherwise right now. Also, do you think the heatsink in the P8Z77-V Pro will decrease the vrm temps by a good amount compared to the P8Z77-V heatsink.