Sign in with
Your question

P8Z77-V Pro vs Z77 Sabertooth

Last response: in Motherboards
April 8, 2012 5:09:09 PM

Hi, I am planning to get a Z77-V Pro or a Z77 Sabertooth, but I can't decide. Can someone give me the differences between these two motherboards and opinions so that I can decide.
April 8, 2012 5:23:00 PM

Z77-V Pro... just sold out on newegg?
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2012 5:30:36 PM

andrewcarr said:
They both have the same features for the most part so if I were buying them it would come down to whichever one is cheaper. Looks also will play a part though too.

I'd get this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It seems like the sabertooth would be better for overclocking then the other board. Is it? Also, does the sabertooth have the gpu overclocking like the other board.
m
l
April 8, 2012 5:50:14 PM

I can't find the P8Z77-V PRO anywhere. Does anyone know the pricing on it?
m
l
April 8, 2012 5:51:49 PM

licktheenvelope said:
I can't find the P8Z77-V PRO anywhere. Does anyone know the pricing on it?

About 225 to 235$
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 6:50:21 PM

alegomaster said:
It seems like the sabertooth would be better for overclocking then the other board. Is it? Also, does the sabertooth have the gpu overclocking like the other board.

GPU overclocking isn't board specific. The board only affects the CPU overclocking.

The P8Z77-V should actually be better for overclocking. This board and the pro just lack the expensive heat-sink across the entire surface. The added WiFi should also be a nice feature.

Don't see any reason to get the Pro version over the regular. I actually can't find a difference. Most of the special features are just gimmicks to make certain models look better than others.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 7:06:11 PM

Found three difference this feature isn't on the regular model.
- ASUS Q-Shield
This is just a labeled I/O back port versus the typical metal one.

ASUS Q-Shield
Easy and Comfortable Installations
The specially designed ASUS Q-Shield does without the usual "fingers" - making it convenient and easy to install. With better electric conductivity, it ideally protects your motherboard against static electricity and shields it against Electronic Magnetic Interference (EMI).
http://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/P48rppKk4j...

Second is that the Pro has 2 onboard USB 3.0 connectors (4 total ports) and the regular model only has one (2 total) which only matter for front panel connection.

Last is the Pro has four system fan headers and the regular one has three stystem fan headers. The pro doesn't have a TPM connector though which the regular version has.
m
l
April 8, 2012 7:54:06 PM

I am wondering if the P8Z77 is good for overclocking to about 4.5ghz with a h60, because I am not sure if the vrm will then receive enough airflow if I use the h60.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 8:01:10 PM

It will still be fine. They are designed good that the heat-sink is adequate, as long as the case has reasonable airflow you are fine. I personally believe it would do better than the Sabertooth motherboard that giant metal cover is rather useless.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 8:26:56 PM

I remember getting one of the Asus deluex boards P5W DH Deluxe - had more stuff on that board that I never used. Think about what you will need/use and base your decision on that.
-Bruce
m
l
April 8, 2012 11:17:12 PM

Ok, I am planning to go with the P8Z77-V unless someone can convince me otherwise right now. Also, do you think the heatsink in the P8Z77-V Pro will decrease the vrm temps by a good amount compared to the P8Z77-V heatsink.
m
l
April 9, 2012 12:35:53 AM

Quote:
Pro, go with the Pro...

I just actually realized that, I need at least 3 sata3 ports.
m
l
April 9, 2012 12:37:17 PM

Best answer selected by alegomaster.
m
l
!