Laptop making a sound while recharging the battery

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
May 5, 2005 10:44:24 PM

Hello,

Maybe I am over sensitive, but while my laptop is on the AC mode and the
battery is recharging it makes constant rather silent but audible
squeaky sound. Is it normal?

Excuse me for a stupid question, but I spent a lot of money on it and
want it to be ~perfect :)

best wishes

lmr
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 10:44:25 PM

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 18:44:24 +0100

Hello,

Maybe I am over sensitive, but while my laptop is on the AC
mode and the battery is recharging it makes constant rather
silent but audible squeaky sound. Is it normal?

Excuse me for a stupid question, but I spent a lot of money on
it and want it to be ~perfect :)

Hi lmr... Where is the sound coming from? The laptop or the battery?
If the battery, it could explode into flames if it is a Li-Ion
battery type (most today are). And I wouldn't use that battery at
all. Not charging anyway. As that could be very dangerous if
something is wrong with the safety circuits which is supposed to
prevent this from happening.

If from the laptop, it sounds like it might be from parts getting
warmer and are expanding. But that shouldn't really be audible.
Although maybe you just have some very good hearing? Is that true?

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 10:44:25 PM

What you are hearing is a transistor regulating the voltage, don't know if
its normal or not but they can make a high pitched sound.

"lmr" <m@m.pl> wrote in message news:D 5dih4$fgi$1@news.onet.pl...
> Hello,
>
> Maybe I am over sensitive, but while my laptop is on the AC mode and the
> battery is recharging it makes constant rather silent but audible squeaky
> sound. Is it normal?
>
> Excuse me for a stupid question, but I spent a lot of money on it and want
> it to be ~perfect :)
>
> best wishes
>
> lmr
Related resources
May 6, 2005 12:11:58 AM

BillW50 napisał(a):

> If from the laptop, it sounds like it might be from parts getting
> warmer and are expanding. But that shouldn't really be audible.
> Although maybe you just have some very good hearing? Is that true?

It's comming form the part of a laptop in which I put the plug. The
sound is similar to the one which you hear after making a photo which
flash lamp. My friend told me that the coils <?> make that kind of sound
when they are charging. But I just thought to ask people who know
different things about laptops.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2005 12:11:59 AM

lmr wrote:
> BillW50 napisał(a):
>
>> If from the laptop, it sounds like it might be from parts getting
>> warmer and are expanding. But that shouldn't really be audible.
>> Although maybe you just have some very good hearing? Is that true?
>

> It's comming form the part of a laptop in which I put the plug. The
> sound is similar to the one which you hear after making a photo which
> flash lamp. My friend told me that the coils <?> make that kind of sound
> when they are charging. But I just thought to ask people who know
> different things about laptops.
From your description of the noise, I would not worry about it, your
comparison with a flash reloading is telling. Still, this is fairly
unusual for a modern laptop and it would be interesting to know which
one have. Someone might have the same and be able to tell you better if
you need to worry.

--
John Doue
Anonymous

"lmr" <m@m.pl> wrote in message news:D 5dih4$fgi$1@news.onet.pl...
> Hello,
>
> Maybe I am over sensitive, but while my laptop is on the AC mode and the
> battery is recharging it makes constant rather silent but audible
> squeaky sound. Is it normal?
>
> Excuse me for a stupid question, but I spent a lot of money on it and
> want it to be ~perfect :)

The power supply in the laptop uses an oscillator as part of its operation.
Normally these operate at frequencies that are inaudible. However,
occasionally, one is encountered that generates frequencies that are audible
if it operates under extra load (as when charging the battery). These can
be heard in the coil(s) in the power circuit as either a constant tone or a
sqeaking sound. What you describe, sounds like these oscilations. They are
harmless.
May 6, 2005 7:33:57 PM

Ye Electrik Fanne Clubbe napisa³(a):

thank you all. BTW I have Acer TM 4051LMi

a b D Laptop
May 7, 2005 6:25:25 AM

Ye Electrik Fanne Clubbe <ian.shorrocks@baehisclothessystems.com> wrote:

>> Maybe I am over sensitive, but while my laptop is on the AC mode and the
>> battery is recharging it makes constant rather silent but audible
>> squeaky sound. Is it normal?
>>
>> Excuse me for a stupid question, but I spent a lot of money on it and
>> want it to be ~perfect :)
>>

> The power supply in the laptop uses an oscillator as part of its operation.
> Normally these operate at frequencies that are inaudible. However,
> occasionally, one is encountered that generates frequencies that are audible
> if it operates under extra load (as when charging the battery). These can
> be heard in the coil(s) in the power circuit as either a constant tone or a
> sqeaking sound. What you describe, sounds like these oscilations. They are
> harmless.

My IBM X31 has done the same thing since new, right back by the
cooling vent (which is where the DC input is). It's almost like a white
noise sound with a consistently timed tick/chirp and you can't hear it
unless you stick your ear right up to it. I thought it was the hard
drive at first but the drive wasn't active and it's pretty silent when
it is.

Just curious, any other X31 users notice the same thing if you
stick your ear down by the CPU cooling vent on the right rear of your
laptop? If not I was considering trying to get them to swap the board
out if it might indicate a potential future problem, but if it's common
then I'd rather not have some "qualified engineer" (9 times out of 10
you know qualified is used quite loosely in this title) arsing around
with hardware in my laptop since it's working fine.
!