Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can i use an ATI graphic card with an SLI motherboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2011 12:52:24 PM

Bought an HIS Radeon HD6950 and an Asus Rampage 3 Extreme MOBO. Just noticed last night that the mother board is SLI and the Card is ATI.
February 20, 2011 1:13:34 PM

It does support Crossfire
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 1:16:24 PM

An SLi motherboard - It just means that it is qualified/certified and is SLi-ready. AMD cards should run fine, I've done it in the past. It is based around an Intel X58 chipset anyway.
February 20, 2011 1:29:25 PM

Pardon my Ignorance, but could I still use the crossfireX capabilities even though the box says AMD CrossfireX MoBo required? If yes, will I have to take extra steps out of the ordinary to get it to work?
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2011 1:33:51 PM

Does your motherboard support CFX? If it does, then you should have no problem. If it's only SLI, then I don't think it's possible. Make sure you have a good PSU before you do that (if you can).
February 20, 2011 1:36:01 PM

I purchased the rampage 3 extreme which is CrossfireX ready and the HIS Radeon 6950

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 1:36:48 PM

"AMD has opened the CrossFireX architecture to Intel, allowing CrossFireX to be enabled on many Intel chipsets which feature two x16 PCI-E slots. SLI, however, requires a motherboard which is SLI certified, which includes all nForce chipsets (such as the nForce 590-SLi, nForce 680i-SLI, and nForce-790i), and most Intel X58 and Intel P55 based motherboards."

Source: Wikipedia
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 3:56:04 PM

shotkalla said:
Seeing that the Chipset is X58 I guess I'm good after reading Omnisome's helpful post. Thank you all for your prompt responses. New question. Reprotected mention my PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Likes Or Dislikes???

Rosewill... Mediocre. They are manufactured by Newegg, I've read good and bad reviews. Although we don't have Rosewill in England so I can't comment so much, they are certainly expanding in the PSU world.
February 25, 2011 2:28:25 AM

Best answer selected by Shotkalla.
!