Sign in with
Your question

Programming / Gaming rig, $2500-3000

Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2011 7:09:18 PM

I'm switching back to a stationary computer from using a laptop for the last 6 years, so I'm slightly out of touch with the hardware side of things. I need a new computer for both programming and various number crunching at work and gaming, I would like to play new games on high settings for a while so I'm prepared to spend a few coins on this rig.

I'm buying this for my company so the price ranges are flexible, If you really think it's worth it I could go above $3000 but would prefer to land around $2500-$3000.

Programming needs large screen estate, I'm planning on getting two 20" screens or similar.

---------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: Some time in may, once I got the details down I'll order.

Budget Range: $2500-$3000. No rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Programming, Gaming, number crunching, general usage.

Parts Not Required: N/A, need everything

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not sure, use what you're comfortable with, I'm shopping in Sweden so all the prices are rough equivalents anyway. I think I could get most parts.

Country of Origin: Sweden.

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Preferably not. I would like a rig that works fine without it.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. If you think it's worth it sure.

Monitor Resolution: Large. Planning on getting two 20" screens or similar.

Additional Comments: Having the pc quiet would be nice but that's a bonus.

---------------------------------------

My current list of components is mostly a mishmash of high rated picks from various reviews, I don't know if this will work well together but I hope you do know.

Current components:

Mouse: Not sure, might go with Razer Imperator
Keyb: Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard
Screen: Samsung SyncMaster F2380M x2
Case: Antec P193
CPU: Core i7-2600k
Memory: Super Talent Chrome-series WP160UX8G9(2x4gb)
Mobo: MSI P67A-GD65
SSD: OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 32MB 1TB x2
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 700
Gfx: "GeForce GTX 570" OR
2 x "GeForce GTX 460 1 GB" in SLI Configuration
Cooling:"Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler" OR
"Zalman CNPS9900 MAX" OR
"Thermaltake ISGC-300"
DVD: Not sure

The SSD will be the boot/os disc and then using the hdds for general usage/storage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you need more information about my idea or preferences.

Kind regards,
dutt
April 26, 2011 7:30:00 PM

You can build a pretty good gaming rig for $2k- check out Tom's last build:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-sandy-bridge-...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/newegg-combo-toms-h...

I think most gamers go bigger than 20" monitors these days, 22"-24" are relatively cheap. However up to 24" or so the resolution stays the same at about 1080 so you don't gain more real estate, just larger text and icons. If you go bigger than 24" then you can get higher resolution and even more real estate. My dual 22" monitors at work together measure over 40" wide. If you have the budget I would suggest to go with as much monitor as you can fit on your desk.
April 26, 2011 7:39:15 PM

Oh, those builds look really nice. Thanks for the links. I'll probably go with something very close to that alternate build. With multiple screens, mouse, keyboard, shipping and everything I'll probably end up closer to $2500 though.

Hm, then going bigger than 20" seems like a good idea. I have a huge desk but don't want monitors on all of it but two 24" seems like a fairly good idea then.

Thanks alot for the help.
!