Damaged video card? Conflict?

cbrichar

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I'm building a new system, but can't get it to boot (no post beep whatsoever) if I have my graphics card installed.

System spec - stripped down to the following for testing:
- Gigabyte 890XA-UD3 rev. 1.0, flashed with the latest BIOS (F6A)
- Phenom II X6 1075T
- Corsair tx750W PSU
- 1 x 2 GB DIMM Corsair XMS3 DDR3
- Sapphire HD4850 512M GDDR3 PCI-E (http://www1.sapphiretech.com/uk/products/products_overview.php?gpid=291)

If I boot without the graphics card, the system will post with an Award BIOS beep error of 1-long, 2-short "Video Adaptor Error", which makes sense. However, if I boot with the card mounted, there is no post beep at all, and no video output. I've tried it in both the PCIx16 slot and the x8.

My first instinct is to think the card is faulty, but I thought I'd ask around to see if there may be some kind of conflict between these components. I should mention also that the mobo in question doesn't have on-board graphics, and all components other than the card are brand new.

Basically, I've already spent enough on this new rig, and only want to dish out a bit more for a new video card if it's necessary. The 4850 was perfectly fine for my purposes for the time being...

Thanks in advance,
Colin

The HD4850 is a bit underwhelming for that setup, but nonetheless should work fine.

Make sure the 6pin PCI-E is inserted right, make sure that card is situated right, the monitor is plugged in right, etc. If you have another PCI-E card lying around try that.

Is the card new or used?

cbrichar

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Used. It's the one bit of kit in that setup that isn't new - in fairness, it's coming to the end of it's life. I bought it new just about two years ago.

I see. I have an HD4850 that was gifted to me through Tomshardware that's been use for two years, and then used in mine for a year.

Anyways, apart from being bale to test a different card in your computer (or your card in a different computer), there's not much one could tell. That card is pretty weak compared to your system; consider a higher-end crossfire setup (though I'm assuming the 4850 was a placeholder).

Can you test the card in the system it used to be in?

cbrichar

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Yeah, I agree with the assessment - current plan is to get an RMA on the card to have it looked at (there are a few more weeks left under the warranty, so I may be able to sneak in under the wire), but as you surmised, it is indeed a placeholder until a few more paycheques come along. :D

Sadly, the old system is no more - partly sold, partly fried. The old motherboard died, which kicked off this whole upgrade process.

I see. Well I'm glad the card is still under warranty. Who knows, you might get lucky. Some times when a company doesn't have any more of a certain card they'll give you the next-best thing..my cousin RMA'd his 9800GT for a GTS250.

Good luck!