How to sync laptop with desktop ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 1:57:47 PM

I'd like to keep the same files and emails on my laptop and desktop,
and to sync them whenever they are connected. What's the best way of
doing this ?

Cheers

Blewyn

More about : sync laptop desktop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 9:33:55 PM

"Blewyn" <blewyn@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:1115312267.947654.134570@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
Date: 5 May 2005 09:57:47 -0700

I'd like to keep the same files and emails on my laptop and
desktop, and to sync them whenever they are connected. What's
the best way of doing this?

Hi Blewyn... Well the thing I like to use to sync is the PowerDesk
v5 Folder Synchronizer. As it allows you to sync in many way. Like
only new copies, older, duplicate, move, etc. I use the retail
version, but there was a free version which I think did include this
as well. I don't know if the free version is still around though.

As for email, it is tough depending on the email program you use.
And even so, it could take very long doing this as well. I find it
is a lot better just keeping your email on the server option and
just pick it up with each computer over the Internet. And that works
with just about any email program. And it is faster too.

Although you have to be careful about getting your email server
full. So you have to keep an eye on that if the size is pretty
small. Mine are so huge, it won't happen for years. <grin>

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2005 3:08:30 AM

Blewyn,

I was interested in your posting because I've been looking at the same
question myself. After a lot of careful searching around I've settled on
Zsync (http://www.zsksoft.com/index.htm) for synching my files, and am quite
excited about it . All the other synch packages I saw or tried don't cater
very well for the situation where you accidentally edit the same file on
both machines - something which I know I'm going to do sooner or later.
I've tested it quite extensively between two machines over a WiFi lan and it
seems really effective.

For emails I use Outlook 2000. I want to be able to receive emails on
either machine and then synch the two sets of emails (plus calendars etc)
without having to copy over the enormous pst files every time. Haven't yet
done so, but the software I plan to try first is EZOutlookSynch
(http://www.ezoutlooksync.com/?r=features). Seems much more reasonably
priced than most Outlook synchronisers.

--
David Tong

[Please replace 'invalid' with 'com' to reply].
"Blewyn" <blewyn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to keep the same files and emails on my laptop and desktop,
> and to sync them whenever they are connected. What's the best way of
> doing this ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Blewyn

Related resources
May 6, 2005 4:30:57 AM

Plaxo (www.plaxo.com) synchronises Outlook (all versions) and is free. It's
also a superb contact manager. I've no connection with the company.

Bobby

"David Tong" <gz30@btinternet.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 5e91d$bcf$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Blewyn,
>
> I was interested in your posting because I've been looking at the same
> question myself. After a lot of careful searching around I've settled on
> Zsync (http://www.zsksoft.com/index.htm) for synching my files, and am
> quite excited about it . All the other synch packages I saw or tried
> don't cater very well for the situation where you accidentally edit the
> same file on both machines - something which I know I'm going to do sooner
> or later. I've tested it quite extensively between two machines over a
> WiFi lan and it seems really effective.
>
> For emails I use Outlook 2000. I want to be able to receive emails on
> either machine and then synch the two sets of emails (plus calendars etc)
> without having to copy over the enormous pst files every time. Haven't
> yet done so, but the software I plan to try first is EZOutlookSynch
> (http://www.ezoutlooksync.com/?r=features). Seems much more reasonably
> priced than most Outlook synchronisers.
>
> --
> David Tong
>
> [Please replace 'invalid' with 'com' to reply].
> "Blewyn" <blewyn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I'd like to keep the same files and emails on my laptop and desktop,
>> and to sync them whenever they are connected. What's the best way of
>> doing this ?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Blewyn

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2005 6:31:34 AM

Very interesting David Tong and Bobby.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

"David Tong" <gz30@btinternet.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 5e91d$bcf$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

"Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2005 8:14:45 PM

Bobby,

Thanks for the tip about Plaxo, but storing everyone's emails and contact
data on one big centralised database seems to be just asking for trouble one
day. George Orwell must be spinning in his grave at the very idea :-)

--
David Tong

[Please replace 'invalid' with 'com' to reply].
"Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com> wrote in message
> Plaxo (www.plaxo.com) synchronises Outlook (all versions) and is free.
> It's also a superb contact manager. I've no connection with the company.
>
> Bobby
>
> "David Tong" <gz30@btinternet.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D 5e91d$bcf$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Blewyn,
>>
>> I was interested in your posting because I've been looking at the same
>> question myself. After a lot of careful searching around I've settled on
>> Zsync (http://www.zsksoft.com/index.htm) for synching my files, and am
>> quite excited about it . All the other synch packages I saw or tried
>> don't cater very well for the situation where you accidentally edit the
>> same file on both machines - something which I know I'm going to do
>> sooner or later. I've tested it quite extensively between two machines
>> over a WiFi lan and it seems really effective.
>>
>> For emails I use Outlook 2000. I want to be able to receive emails on
>> either machine and then synch the two sets of emails (plus calendars etc)
>> without having to copy over the enormous pst files every time. Haven't
>> yet done so, but the software I plan to try first is EZOutlookSynch
>> (http://www.ezoutlooksync.com/?r=features). Seems much more reasonably
>> priced than most Outlook synchronisers.
>>
>> --
>> David Tong
>>
>> [Please replace 'invalid' with 'com' to reply].
>> "Blewyn" <blewyn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> I'd like to keep the same files and emails on my laptop and desktop,
>>> and to sync them whenever they are connected. What's the best way of
>>> doing this ?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Blewyn

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 9, 2005 5:35:27 AM

If you have the patience to set it up right, the Briefcase facility built
into Windows works pretty well for synching files between 2 computers, but
more than that, it gets too complicated. You can even put your Outlook
*.pst files into the briefcase. This works good if you mostly use a
desktop, except when you go on a trip, and then switch everything over for a
long trip. However, it is very hard to be disciplined enough to keep
everything straight if you are moving between computers on a daily basis.

I use Xdrive to store critical files on the internet (5 Gb storage for
$10/month), and use a Web-based email program, so my address book and email
is always available online.

news:D 5g55l$3ak$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

!