Sign in with
Your question

Advice on using a Sony LED 40" & ATi Radeon HD 6970 2GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2011 3:56:08 PM

Hi Peeps

I’m building a new gaming rig, below are the specs but the thing is this, I’m going to be also buying a Sony LED 40” instead of a monitor! The model is KDL-40NX803, it has 200hz refresh rate and is obviously true HD 1080p. My question is will my games look good on it? How do games look running at 1920x1080, are the textures up close detailed for example? Also do most games play at 16:9 widescreen? I don’t want to have big black letterbox lines. Have a look at the specs below and tell me what you think, will Crysis 2 run at it’s highest detail?

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 'Thuban' @ 3.3GHz x 6 cores
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, AMD 890FX
8GB Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
ATi Radeon HD 6970 2GB
1TB sata II 7200RPM hard drive
Blu Ray reader combo drive
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 7.1 soundcard
650 watt silent 80+ effeciency Modular PSU
Coolermaster HAF X Gaming Tower Case
Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers 50 W RMS Sound System
a c 358 U Graphics card
February 20, 2011 4:33:54 PM

Not familiar with the KDL-40NX803, however, all HDTV only has 60Hz input. When playing games you should have the TV set to 60Hz or "Game Mode" because anything higher the internal electronics starts to do some video processing to smooth out video playback. This causes input lag for games since it takes a little time to do on-the-fly video processing.

As an educated guess based on some benchmarks I've seen... in Crysis Warhead with all graphic settings maxed out your rig can probably push 29FPS max and 22FPS average. Crysis 2 will have lower system requirements than Crysis Warhead, but maxed out in DX10 mode you may get 32FPS max and 25FPS average.

Crysis 2 is a DX11 title, but playing it in that mode with everything maxed out, I would expect your FPS to drop considerably. One feature of DX11 is Tessellation which is the on-the-fly processing that artificially increases the number of polygons in objects to make more details and better effects. I'm guessing you will get 25FPS max and 19FPS average; but this is only an educated guess.

!