Sign in with
Your question

Marvel SATA3 controller missing!

Last response: in Motherboards
April 8, 2012 10:29:04 PM

Hi all again :hello: 

I started this thread in Windows 7 / Drivers but it may was a misstake from my side to put it there. Therefore I have started a new thread with the same name but in this forum instead. Here under I paste a copy of my orgin question and its answers. Hope you show understandings with this action from myself! Also hoping you people can give me som more answers if this really is a hardware or software problem. Have anyone else experied the same problems as I have in this case/matter/item?

Regardings
/ Darth

DarthTengil 04-07-2012 at 06:50:04 AM

"I have BIG problems with doing my PC showing the Marvel SATA 3 controller in BIOS. Can see Intels controller for SATA2 port 0-5 but there is nothing at all showing for my two SATA 3 ports on my motherboard. Have flashed BIOS to the latest version 1304 but I cant still not see it. When using the Sandforce Firmware tool I cant see any SSD disc at all, nor can I open the Marvel 91XX tool/program (both programs in Windows). In System in Control Panel my SSD is showed as an SCSI, in BIOS boot meny it is shown as an IDE unit. When booting first my system discs is showing correctly, then it continue with first texting "No viritual disc installed!" and under that its texting "SSD Force GT 120BG", then its continue to boot up. Have downloaded every drivers a coupple of times and Windows is showing "new hardware (Marvel 91XX) found and installed" but I still cant open it or make the PC to detect my SSD as an SSD and not as an SCSI disc! The only way to in fact see that it exist is in boot meny in BIOS and there it is shown as IDE unit. Using RAID option for the SATA2 ports and AHCI for Marvel. Dont understand what the computer means with "no viritual disc installed" when I allready use a small (200 MB) windows viritual memory page file/exchange file connected to my C: HDD system discs and thats working just fine?

Using:
Windows 7 64 PRO
Intel i7 960 3.20 GHz 1366
ASUS Sabertooth x58 socket 1366 motherboard
24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
2x WD VelociRaptor 74GB HDD SATA2 in RAID 0 as system disc
Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD SATA3 (SandForce Controller) as game disc
Latest drivers (1304 for BIOS and 91xx for Windows) and a SATA3 cable to my SSD connected to port 0 in the Marvel socket on my MB
SysTweak Power Bundle PRO suite

When benchmarking my SSD the highest speed I got was 344/177 MB/s thus the disc should be 555/515 MB/s.

What is wrong? Why does the Marvel controller dont show itself in BIOS? How should it look in BIOS when those 2 ports are showing? If its broken circuits on my motherboard the two Marvel ports should not work at all, or? Dont want to hand in my PC for service and take out the MB = doing everything from the beginning again"

Here under is the text from my e-mail support with ASUS and their answer:

"Cant open Marvel controller for SATA 6 Mb/s ports in BIOS or Windows. BIOS is
showing IDE:Corsair Force GT in BOOT meny, in Windows it is shown as a SCSI in
SYSTEM. Cant open Marvel 91XX. There is not showing any SSD disc in Force GT 120
Sandforce Firmware. Can install Marvel controller from the DVD but nothing happens
and it cant open. Tried to download driver but I still cant open or see any Marvel
Controller nor in BIOS, nor in Windows. BIOS v.1304. Use two WD VelociRaptor HDD
in RAID 0 as system disc. Have used the Systek Power Bundle and it have found and
updated Marvel, but it still dont work. How to do to make my PC to see my Corsair SSD
disc as an SSD and not as an IDE/SCSI unit?"

ASUS answer:

"Hi
Try updating to bios version Sabertooth X58 1304 BIOS
if this doesn't help return the board to the store you purchased it from"

PLEASE HELP :cry:  !!!

ANSWER:

WR2 04-07-2012 at 08:15:02 AM

Hello DarthTengil;

Have you run this question through the Motherboard section of the forums?
It's looking more like a hardware issue than Windows 7.

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 11:17:59 PM

Look for a conflict in windows device manager in the system section of the control panel. If you don't find any, then you may have to use ide mode for windows 7 installation. It's just as fast, just no trim support. I had an older board that worked the same way; wouldn't load windows in achi mode. If you have more than one sata chipset, try the other one for achi mode. Sata II is a little slower, but may be more reliable than the marvel controller.
April 9, 2012 12:28:42 PM

Well, as I have mention I DONT want to use my SSD for Windows installation since I allready have Windows installed on my two WD HDD discs in RAID 0 mode (instead of IDE or AHCI mode) connected to the SATA2 slots. The Corsair SSD is only thought to install games on and then I really need the speed you get of SATA3 bus (for say Battlefeild 3 online gaming).

I will try to put it in to one the SATA2 slots and benchmark to see if I get better read/write speed that way, but still I dont know if this mess is coused by a software or hardware related problem. If its a broken MB I still can use the ASUS garanty for replacement, but if I dont is compleatly sure it really IS a broken circuit, then I still have to pay money to my PC store I got the components from for fault-searching and un-mounting every component I mounted myself beacuse they in that case first must test and make sure its NOT a software problem.
Related resources
April 9, 2012 1:59:41 PM

Welcome to the club of Asus ownwerthat cannot use the third party controller when main controller is set as RAID.

some time ago, I had an email conversation with Asus tech as why I cannot use my PCIe RAID card as RAID when the chipset controller was already set to RAID. That worked good on my Biostar that the Asus replaced and that is now working good on the Gigabyte motherboard that replaced the Asus because of this BIOS bug.

just make a test. unplug your array. set Intel controller to IDE and connect the SSD to marvel controller as SATA3. If it works, you have that BIOS bug and I can see that it has not yet been resolved...
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 2:41:10 PM

Quote:
When benchmarking my SSD the highest speed I got was 344/177 MB/s thus the disc should be 555/515 MB/s.

What is wrong? Why does the Marvel controller dont show itself in BIOS?

Hmm...I run SSD + RAID 1 on my ASUS P6X58D-E and the Marvell is fine but never shows-up in the BIOS which is normal for any (most all) third-party (non-native) SATA Chipset. I'm sure it shows-up booting Ctrl + M in the Marvell Control.

Speed, the fastest I've seen the Marvell 9128 run is 360MB/s~380MB/s which again is normal for any of the 'shared' Marvell x1 PCIe lane (500MB/s shared) chipsets. In contrast, the Marvell 9182 (no typo) is x2 PCIe lanes (1000MB/s shared), and you'll see the full bandwidth to the SATA3 SSD.

You have choices, the newer Gigabyte X58's offer Marvell 9182 or x4~x8 PCIe Dedicated RAID Card (costs more than the MOBO), OR simply know it's ALL about 4KB R/W and not the oddball aka useless R/W of ATTO. Windows and most applications are 4KB based and SSD is all about ultra-low latency. Unless you're a Borg you couldn't tell a Marvell 9128 vs 9182.

Lastly, IMO it's CrAzY to run data drives in RAID 0, if you lose (1) HDD you lose EVERYTHING on both drives!
April 9, 2012 9:29:51 PM

Thanks guys, now I really have something to test and work with. This means it almost for sure is a software problem - but cant be solved without changing the hardware (motherboard). One statement thus: I do NOT use a PCI-e RAID card SandForce controller, I use the motherboards own SATA ports which in this case happens to use the Marvel 91xx SandForce controller for the two SATA3 slots and Intel controller for SATA2 slots. Therefore I wonder what you mean with PCI-e lanes? Or is the Nortbridge/Southbridge using the same type of lanes into the motherboards SATA slots as it does down to the PCI-e slots so-to-say to simplify the terms and technical words?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 11:05:29 PM

DarthTengil said:

What is wrong?

Nothing is wrong, you've reached the limit of the Marvell 9128. You seemed to fly right past what I said, that's within 30~40MB/s of the fastest I've seen on Marvell 9128.

IF you want faster then it's not going to happen unless you either purchase a NEW MOBO with Marvell 9182 (eighty-two) <or> PCIe SATA or PCIe RAID Card that's bootable on your MOBO -- many are not bootable.

I also assume that your Marvell is set to RAID/AHCI, that the latest and correct Marvell Driver is installed (beta Marvell 91XX V1.2.0.1002), and make sure the registry Start values = 0 use 'Fix it' to or manually correct - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
April 9, 2012 11:43:07 PM

Have done new benchmarks with Crystal Disk Mark 3.0.1 x64 on my SSD, still attached to the SATA3 slot:

Used 1000 MB workload.
Results are in MB/s:

Seq: 379.9 / 171.2
512 K: 350.2 / 170.8
4 K: 30.42 / 58.76
4 K QD32: 111.0 / 163.9

OK for Marvel 9128?

Should I go into BIOS in Onboard Pheripials Devices and change the Marvel from AHCI to IDE

One question I still dont have got any answer to is why the PC is texting "no virtual disc installed" above "Corsair Force GT 120GB" when booting and doing POST? What does it mean with that? It just must be related to the problems with my SSD and Marvel 9128 but I dont know what to think. As mention above I allready have 200 MB as Windows Virtual Memory on my system disc and that works very well. Anyone that can explain this for me?
April 11, 2012 12:58:12 AM

pat said:
Welcome to the club of Asus ownwerthat cannot use the third party controller when main controller is set as RAID.

some time ago, I had an email conversation with Asus tech as why I cannot use my PCIe RAID card as RAID when the chipset controller was already set to RAID. That worked good on my Biostar that the Asus replaced and that is now working good on the Gigabyte motherboard that replaced the Asus because of this BIOS bug.

just make a test. unplug your array. set Intel controller to IDE and connect the SSD to marvel controller as SATA3. If it works, you have that BIOS bug and I can see that it has not yet been resolved...

Please write the whole name (model name) for your Biostar PCI-e SATA3 controller card! Is it bootable?
Is it this one I have found on the Biostars page?

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/event/sata3_card/index...

I have two huge MSI N460GTX HAWK in SLI 2x16x that takes up almost every other PCI-e slot I have on my board. Think I maybe can use one PCI-e 4x, one PCI-e 16x or a ordernary PCI slot for a THIN Add-on SATA3 controller card, but not sure. In what slot is it best to put it in to get the highest speed (over 500 MB/s)? Will this controller also delivere that speed between the card itself and the motherboard slot up to the Northbridge/Southbridge? Have three 16x PCI-e slots and are using two for the graphic cards, but if I insert a third card in the PCI-e 16x slot #3, the slot #1 & 2 will downclock bus speed to 8x to my graphic cards, and to 1x on slot #3. Will it still do this if inserting a SATA3 controller card into slot #3 even if that NOT is a PCI-e graphic card?
April 18, 2012 10:33:43 AM

What SATA3 controller cards do you guys use and recommend? In what slot should I put it in as mention above?
!