I don't understand my X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Googlybear

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
i recently installed an older game on my system that called for DirectX 9. since i have DirectX 11 already, i skipped their installation opportunity for 9. it gave me an error afterwards, and i uninstalled the game.

can somebody explain to me what DirectX is, exactly? furthermore, can someone explain why the game wouldn't work with my current configuration?

i wasn't sure which category to post this to.

thank you in advance!

RobisssLV

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011

What is DirectX - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

DirectX 10 and 11 dont work on older versions of Dx. I had the same problem on my old XP. But when i put and W7 64-bit, i could run many Dx9 games onDx10

When installing a game and the game asks to install direct x always say yes. It will only install what needs to be installed. And there may only be 1 item that needs to be installed. Not having that 1 item will keep the game from running or running right. Having DX11 doesn't matter.

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
DirectX is the program M$ uses for operating stuff on your computer.
When A program asks you to install whatever version it simply updates it.
For example: I am using Win7(DX11) and I install MW2 and it asks for DirectX 9, it is just updating your old DX9 files. Just click "yes". So games sometimes have different updates they need, and they just ask to install it.

Hope you got what I meant to imply!

DirectX is a language for developers to program in to get the graphics card to do stuff, it gives them advanced functionality in a much simpler form to work with, its like using C++ or Java except its specifically for graphics cards.

It wont over write DX11, directX installers are now smart enough to look and check which file is newer, but it will add in some DX 9 files, all of the DX 9 functionality is retained in DX11, it just might have been compressed into a different DLL than the DX9 game is looking for, so it will add the files that it needs to give it the functionality it wants but it wont hurt the more recent versions of DirectX.

Status
Not open for further replies.