New GeForce GTX 470 slower than GeForce 8800

eveng

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Hi
After my old Nvidia Geforce 8800 Graphic card died I bought and installed a new GTX 470. I did this because I expected better performance but I am getting very frustrated now because when running my games the images are visible slower and choppier. Basically, the games ran much better with the old 8800.

Since the GTX 470 suppose to be much faster and I have updated the drivers without that solving anything (running driver version 8.17.12.6658, date 07/01-2011), I have no idea about what could be the problem. I did not change anything else, same hardware, same software.

If anyone has an idea what can be causing this I would be very grateful…
The specs on my computer are as follows:
(Dell XPS 630)
Processor: Inel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz(4CPUs)
Memory: 3324 MB RAM
DirectX Version DirectX 11
Windows Vista 32-bit
Display: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Approx. Total Memory 2655 MB
Driver version: 8.17.0012.6658 (English)

The games I am having trouble with are MassEffect2 and Age Of Conan

Thanks in advance for any input…

Sincerely
Even

Solution
So you uninstalled the old drivers ..... shut down, removed the old card. installed the new card, then booted and told windows you will install the drivers yourself and then installed the new drivers from web site ?

If not, remove all drivers ...... use registry cleaner to remove all things nVidia, reboot. Then shutdown, boot and install driver below

Latest WHQL driver is Version 266.58 , Release Date: 2011.01.18

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

So you uninstalled the old drivers ..... shut down, removed the old card. installed the new card, then booted and told windows you will install the drivers yourself and then installed the new drivers from web site ?

If not, remove all drivers ...... use registry cleaner to remove all things nVidia, reboot. Then shutdown, boot and install driver below

Latest WHQL driver is Version 266.58 , Release Date: 2011.01.18

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

Solution

Dominaz1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
What´s your PSU?
The GTX 470 is a really power hungry gpu.

power_peak.gif

eveng

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Thank you for the replies!

JackNaylorPE: I did not wipe the old drives before installing the new card (argh! noob mistake). I will try that as soon as I get home from work today, and see if that doesn't resolve my issues...

nforce4max: Why do I get the sense I might basically have installed a Rolls Royce Engine on a Tractor;)? Anyway, if the reinstall of the drivers does not help, I will look into this...

orangegator and Dominaz1: The Power Supply Unit is a 750 Watt MAX model DT50E, so that should be sufficient I think...

Some users interpret the page tearing of having vsync off with a choppy feeling, does this cover you?

I noticed that for some games to feel smooth(mostly old quake 3 based games, but yeah)I needed vsync(removed page tearing and generally feels smoother) and triple buffering(prevents sudden fps drops) on.

May be worth a try(in game and Nvidia control panel). This will lower overall frame rates to 60, but will prevent fps changes that can be noticed by some users as well. Note this may cause a slight mouse lag, you will be able to see for your self.

What 8800 card was it? GTX, GTS 320, 640, 512?

It will work but using such a powerful card when it can be put to better use is just wasting it. If it is something that you really want to do then there is no one stopping you but just don't want you making the mistake. However there may be one or two things to justify though. Fold @ home and running cuda based programs off all the gpus. One client per gpu and you can load both cards. I once was friends with one who had two gtx 295 and even then used a 9800gt in the mix as well for extra monitors and to speed up encoding. As for me the one thing I want to waste money on is to try to get three dirst cheap gts 250 or gtx 2xx and put them in tri sli on my 780i rig. However I would be wasting my money on a system that is hardly ever used.

Good luck though but getting a second gtx 580 and going sli that way is the best option and I suggest that you look through the history of dual gpu cards and their problems before getting a gtx 590.

^^ There should be no reason to format for a driver install issue, none. Thats like admitting you don't have a clue what the problem is, so you hide it to make it go away.

PSU looks fine. Use driver sweeper to kill the old drivers, then install the new WHQL after a reboot.

Also, its possible the Q6600 could end up being a bottleneck, but the 460 should still be funcionally better...

eveng

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Okay, after a couple of afternoons of tormenting my computer I have the following observations:

First of all thanks for great ideas and suggestions, although I suspect that If I don't understand more than 50% of a procedure to do "something", it is probably not a good idea to try it yet;)...

That being said, I did a clean sweep of the drives, using a 3 page procedure I found (haven't got the link here, but can post if anyone is interested)...
I bungled the Drive Sweeper (I got a .NET error message of some kind)
Soldering on, and achieving more or less the expected results though I suspect in an unnecessary brutal manner, I managed to rip out most of anything NVIDIA related, after which I installed the drivers again as suggested by JackNaylorPE above.

I then had an ephiphany and went into the "setting / graphic" menus for the games in question (Mass Effect 2 and Age of Conan) changing those to dx10 (or in Mass Effect 2's case, asking for it to re-scan the computer)...

That seems to have resolved the graphic glitches at least, though by that time it was quite late so I haven't had the chance to try it out properly yet...

malmental, nforce4max and mrjericho1991: You are probably right that I could get more out of the graphics card, and that the rest of the rig is holding it back, though I think I will let it be for now as long as the rest works out. Will most likely have to play around with some of the game settings so I will see about that first;)...