Status
Not open for further replies.

JSweens1323

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hello,

Is it currently possible to purchase a OEM dedicated box with WHS 2011?

I thought Acer was going to release one, but all I have found is the AH342-U2T2H, which seems to still be running WHS v1.

Currently I am storing all my movies on my 2T harddrive in my desktop, and using my dell m1330 laptop as a HTPC and XBMC to play my movies on my tv.

I want to purchase a a dedicated whs box to store all my movies on and start backing up my other PCS.. and then build a HTPC to replace my laptop in the setup.

Anyone know of anywhere to buy a box running WHS 2011?

Thanks

Solution
No one makes one yet to my knowledge. I too suggest you build your own. For what you decribe even an athlonII x2 would suffice, Got an old core 2 laying aaround or an old p4?

there are also alternatives to WHS such as the free ones: Amahi, Myth backend(linux based) , freenas , open filer, and more.

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Check this out. Might fit you needs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.693426

You'll need to add at least 1 gig of ram and perhaps add a 1 tb HD for data storage. But a good deal.

I just built my own WHS 2011 box

Case: Generic MidTower 80mm exhaust
CPU Athlon II X4-640-Zalman 9700 HS
MB MSI 785GM-P45
Ram 4 g Crucial DDR3 1333
HDD WD Blue 320g for WHS 2011 OS; 1 TB WD Green for client backup; 2TB WD Green for data and default WHS folders; 500g Toshiba USB external Drive to back up sertver
CD-Rom
PSU 460W Coolermaster

I use the onboard video. Nice server and not real expensive to build.

popatim

Titan
No one makes one yet to my knowledge. I too suggest you build your own. For what you decribe even an athlonII x2 would suffice, Got an old core 2 laying aaround or an old p4?

there are also alternatives to WHS such as the free ones: Amahi, Myth backend(linux based) , freenas , open filer, and more.

Solution

JSweens1323

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Thank you both for your replies.

@popatim: I didn't think there were any OEM builds out there yet and having someone else confirm that they have yet to see one is a big help. I don't have any extra cpu's around but I have no problem building a machine. My samsung blu ray rom came in the mail yesterday so I started ripping my Blu rays to my desktop PC. My SD dvds play great even over a wireless stream... I won't even go there with the HD movies. I will buy some CAT6 cables for a hardwire set up and make sure my router has speeds of 1 gig, if not then ill need a new router as well.

@guskline: Do you stream/play media (movies) from your server? If I build one I will want as quite, powerful, and small as I can go. I was thinking of running a micro board with maybe an I3 to be able to boost my Blu rays from the server to my HTPC. I would love to find a nice small case like HP's media smarts or the acer aspire easystore. The server should be fine with the cpu and onboard graphics from the mobo... the movies should be using the video card from the HTPC hooked up to my tv, in my case the M1330 using hdmi which I will eventual upgrade with a home built HTPC.

Also, do green HDDs cause any problems? I know they have a smaller power draw which is what I want, but are there problems where they turn off and are not awake for data backups?

Thanks again.

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006

So far I'm just using it for pictures and some video, but I have the power to do more, The Athlon II x4 640 has plenty of power. An I3 would be a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.