Who wants to jog w/ a HD strapped to their waist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

getmeon

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2002
Just wanted to field some opinions about the new iPOD for PC. Apparently, this mp3 player is the best of the current lot (and yes, more $ too). My question is this: I work out @ 3x a week, including jogging. I'm a little tentative about strapping a hard drive around my waist while running. Should I be worried about this? If so, what are the alternatives?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Yes, you should be worried. It puts a lot of strain on the disk. Heck, I wouldn't even put a microdrive in my camera.
I recommend a compact flash based player. Last time I checked, compact flash was the cheapest solid state storage pr. MB.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

dakels

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
I wrote this in the other peripheral forum.

I got <A HREF="http://www.iodata.co.jp/global/products/sounds/MDM-H203.htm" target="_new">this</A>. I love the fact that it's so tiny. I just clip it to my bag and I'm good to go. It's controls are simple, sometimes a little too simple but considering its size, its understandable. The sound quality is great. The compatibility is never a problem and it work on both my macs and PC's with all types of OS's. The software is simple yet detailed enough and they give you everything you need from the USB cable to the battery to a detachable belt/strap clip. It comes with an onboard 64mb and takes 64mb MultiMedia Cards for easy expansion. I bought mine for $40 at outpost then bought a $30 MMC from TigerDirect so it holds 128mb. It also doubles as a convenient mini USB HD where I take files from work home, and back.

This is certainly not an iPod but the price, size and portability and the fact that it has no moving parts like a HD or CD, make for a great portable/excercise MP3 player. Even if you buy an iPod later, you'll be using this for your working out.

I got it for $40 at outpost on special but they sold out quick. I then bought a 2nd one at Tigerdirect for $50. Again they sold out afterwards. I have been looking for a 3rd one to buy as a Xmas gift. Tigerdirect is supposed to be one of the main retailers for this yet they sell out all the time. I guess I-O data is not producing enough to meet the demand. You can look around but I haven't been able t see any more for sale. Sorry but I guess you could just ask Tigerdirect or outpost to see when they will have it back in stock.

getmeon

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2002
excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is solid state? I'll have to know the diff if/when i go mp3 player hunting!

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Solid State means eh... solid state :lol: As in no moving parts. RAM, ROM, flash etc. are solid state storage

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
DONT BUY APPLE!!!!

Dungeons and Dragons Famous Last Words:
"C'mon DM,let's see some REAL monsters!" And then you turn the corner as the Dungeon Master chuckles... DM: "It hits and... Oh hold on... I need more dice"

roncarney

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
GetMeOn, check these out:
http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/ewear/sd_audio_players.asp#morefeatures

They use SD cards, which are the size of a stamp, and are solid state, so no skipping or fragility!

They look pretty sweet. Small too, perfect for working out...
And SD cards come in sizes up to at LEAST 256, not sure how much higher...

Marge: Homer, stop picking at your head
Homer: Aw Marge, Im so sweet and tasty!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ralph Wiggum: I bent my wookie!

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I want one with more memory. So, I'll get one with 128 onboard and get a 512MB expansion card, then I will have enough music for quite a while. I want one with a nice cool gig solid state memory inside. That would be really phat.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

Status
Not open for further replies.