Tags:
Last response: in Work & Education
April 12, 2011 6:22:17 PM

Money Making Game?
Related resources
April 12, 2011 6:32:56 PM

Get a degree in computer science..
April 12, 2011 6:39:16 PM

...I mean something right now, that is legal and easy to do, but not TOO easy. i want to make a contribution to benefit my local area.
April 12, 2011 10:24:04 PM

^Interesting.

Someone recommended I collect used computers and build better one then to sell the new builds for profit. Others warned that there would be possibly lawsuits if anything like a fire happened.
April 13, 2011 12:20:09 AM

how much money do you want to make thats the first question? If its just some side spending cash try posting on craigslist that you can build computers. This would do 2 things. For the most part ppl who buy pre built get less for more. So say they buy a Dell for $1000 what they get is the performance of a computer they could have built for $500-600. So if you were to build that $600 computer and charge $800 you would make a $100 and they would save $200 :) . However this would not make you tons of cash. In order to make more cash this way you would have to get the proper business license make or pay for a decent web page and so forth :) .
April 13, 2011 12:51:32 AM

I was thinking starting local. I would possibly project about 100 the first year, and grow further.

I am worried about lawsuits though. Some suggest that I start a sole-proprietor LLC, but I am not to sure if I would do such a thing as right now.
April 13, 2011 2:35:03 PM

How old are you dogman? I dont mean that condescendingly I am wondering because the business opportunities afforded to a 27 year old professional and a 17 year old kid are two different ball parks.

that site I posted is cool because companies pay thee people to take there equipment recycle it properly and they test and resell all of the old parts and some really really inexpensive white boxes.

I had to replace the HD's on 10 Win 95 Machines (recently, so parts were a pain to get and im not dumping anything new into those pieces O' shite) and I found 20 gb HD's for less than 10$ a pop.

This is a good way to get a catalog of parts and you can help recycle old office equipment. Also if your studying for your A+ you will get so much outdated hardware you wont know what to do with it all.
April 13, 2011 3:52:35 PM

dogman_1234 said:
I was thinking starting local. I would possibly project about 100 the first year, and grow further.

I am worried about lawsuits though. Some suggest that I start a sole-proprietor LLC, but I am not to sure if I would do such a thing as right now.

Well starting a proper business would include getting bonded and having insurance and such. A LLC would protect you and your personal assets from a lawsuit, then you have your insurance and stuff like that to protect your business. Also I was reading a book about these type of things ( multiple books really) and there is alot you can do as far as disclaimers and such on your website and advertising material. Basicly if you know what your doing and you built the computers the right way they should never catch on fire lol. So things that would do that would be your customer plugging in the PC to a socket with 20 other things on it and things that have nothing to do with you. So basicly you have a disclaimer that they would have to agree to before they by stating that you are only responsible for what you build and nothing else. Thats not how you would say it lol but you get the point :)  But again how old are you and how much cash are you looking to make both of those have real implications on what you should look to do.
April 13, 2011 6:09:48 PM

wanamingo said:
How old are you dogman? I dont mean that condescendingly I am wondering because the business opportunities afforded to a 27 year old professional and a 17 year old kid are two different ball parks.

that site I posted is cool because companies pay thee people to take there equipment recycle it properly and they test and resell all of the old parts and some really really inexpensive white boxes.

I had to replace the HD's on 10 Win 95 Machines (recently, so parts were a pain to get and im not dumping anything new into those pieces O' shite) and I found 20 gb HD's for less than 10$ a pop.

This is a good way to get a catalog of parts and you can help recycle old office equipment. Also if your studying for your A+ you will get so much outdated hardware you wont know what to do with it all.

I do not really give out personal info online, sorry. :( 

I will have to look further on the site. I only saw the statement.

Why would I get outdated hardware with an A+?

cburke82 said:
Well starting a proper business would include getting bonded and having insurance and such. A LLC would protect you and your personal assets from a lawsuit, then you have your insurance and stuff like that to protect your business. Also I was reading a book about these type of things ( multiple books really) and there is alot you can do as far as disclaimers and such on your website and advertising material. Basicly if you know what your doing and you built the computers the right way they should never catch on fire lol. So things that would do that would be your customer plugging in the PC to a socket with 20 other things on it and things that have nothing to do with you. So basicly you have a disclaimer that they would have to agree to before they by stating that you are only responsible for what you build and nothing else. Thats not how you would say it lol but you get the point :)  But again how old are you and how much cash are you looking to make both of those have real implications on what you should look to do.

Bonded?

What kind of insurance? Would a lawyer help?

So, would I type up as piece of paper stating I am no longer responsible for the use of the computer and that anything that happens is the new owners responsibility?

Sorry, I do not give out personal info online.

April 13, 2011 8:40:15 PM

dogman_1234 said:
I do not really give out personal info online, sorry. :( 

I will have to look further on the site. I only saw the statement.

Why would I get outdated hardware with an A+?

Bonded?

What kind of insurance? Would a lawyer help?

So, would I type up as piece of paper stating I am no longer responsible for the use of the computer and that anything that happens is the new owners responsibility?

Sorry, I do not give out personal info online.

Yes a lawyer would help but not for free lol. And every state is different as far as what they require and then there are things you can do that are extra that serve as protection. So I had a boss that had sexual harassment insurance, just like car insurance he paid a monthly fee and if he was ever sued for harassment they would cover up to a $25,000 settlement. So that was not required but if you have alot of female employees and a dirty mouth its good to have lol. So I guess you could start by going on local city/state websites for info on what you need to be leagle.

As far as a disclaimer it would be something like : Any damage or problems caused due to using this product outside of its intended use is not the responsibility of company X including ( insert list of thing you want to include here) .

Something like that. Again thats something a lawyer could draft up for you and Im sure that wouldent be cheap but then again being sued because your disclaimer was crap wouldn't be cheap either lol
April 14, 2011 3:07:06 PM

Just go to best buy or staples and take a look at their disclaimer.
April 14, 2011 10:18:09 PM

I was thinking of doing an online store...selling computer parts. What do you think?
April 14, 2011 10:22:51 PM

I'm in!
April 14, 2011 10:58:32 PM

dogman_1234 said:
I was thinking of doing an online store...selling computer parts. What do you think?

well unless you can get a direct discount from the part makers themselves it would be very very hard to compete with places like frys tiger direct and newegg. Building computers gives you more room for profit because you can charge for your time not just for parts that have a hard cost.
April 14, 2011 11:21:36 PM

I'd recommend you go to the library and check out some books about opening your own business. It sounds like you just woke up one day and decided that having your own company is a good idea. You need to do a LOT of research on all the rules, the tax laws alone will be daunting. A business isn't something you can start up overnight.
April 14, 2011 11:28:22 PM

I have a better idea than any mentioned above. This summer, provided that you live in an area where this is completely legal, get your medical marijuana caregiver ID and grow the maximum number of plants legal in your county. Growing outside, each plant will yield around one pound of marijuana, which can be sold to dispensaries for around $4,000. Some areas only allow 8 plants, but $4k*8=$32,000 dollars. That's a lot of money. And since growing small numbers of plants doesn't require all your time and attention, you can do whatever you want on your PC to your heart's content. That's what I'm doing :D 
April 14, 2011 11:38:48 PM

PudgyChicken said:
I have a better idea than any mentioned above. This summer, provided that you live in an area where this is completely legal, get your medical marijuana caregiver ID and grow the maximum number of plants legal in your county. Growing outside, each plant will yield around one pound of marijuana, which can be sold to dispensaries for around $4,000. Some areas only allow 8 plants, but $4k*8=$32,000 dollars. That's a lot of money. And since growing small numbers of plants doesn't require all your time and attention, you can do whatever you want on your PC to your heart's content. That's what I'm doing :D 

Let me know how that works out I live in CA so yeah lol. I dont smoke but dont think its bad either. I would guess more ppl die because they drank to much than smoking would ever add up to. If you can really make that much maybe I should look into that lol
April 14, 2011 11:43:50 PM

Actually nobody has ever died from smoking weed. It would take something like 50,000 joints in a period of 24 hours to die of a THC overdose. Marijuana is also a lot safer to smoke than cigarettes, as cigarettes are filled with all sorts of chemical additives that trash your lungs. Alcohol is just straight up bad for you, and leads to deaths through liver failure, alcohol poisoning, car crashes and the like. After having alcohol poisoning, I don't drink anymore. I can't stand alcohol. Cigarettes taste terrible. So I make due with marijuana. I find that supplying marijuana is a lot more moral than supplying alcohol or cigarettes. And it's legal under SB-420 :D  Check your county's laws about marijuana, you can potentially grow like 50 plants in some places from what I hear, and that's hella cash.
April 15, 2011 12:02:16 AM

SteveGP said:
I'd recommend you go to the library and check out some books about opening your own business. It sounds like you just woke up one day and decided that having your own company is a good idea. You need to do a LOT of research on all the rules, the tax laws alone will be daunting. A business isn't something you can start up overnight.

Well assuming you didnt spend all the money as soon as it came in most shpping cards will charge the propper ammount of taxed based on what state your in. And things like quick books can help you with accounting. As long as you set aside a proper amount of money taxes would be to outrages.

On the other hand I work for a credit card processor and one thing that could possibly get you later on is charge backs. So you would have to have a site thats very clear on things like return policy and things like that. A customer has 6 months to dispute CC charges and if they say they thought you had a 60 day return policy and its not very clear on your site they will uphold that dispute and you may find yourself with unsellable returns at that point. Thats why doing alot of resarch at the library like SteveGP said is a good idea. And the internet is a very good tool as well.

If your serious a simple but good book is "Small Business Kit for Dummies" I am also looking into opening a small business for extra income. And this book will not be the last one you read but it does talk about things like getting the propper licenses and how to protect your business for various things that could happen. After reading it I found many things to think about that I had not even considered. Also it comes with a CD that has alot of sample forms like disclaimers and contracts you might find useful. I would say for the most part if you have an idea the first thing you have to do is ask yourself how you would make a profit from that idea. So your idea about an online store for computer parts, you would have to think about were your stock is coming from. You can just buy suff from newegg and re sell it. So you would have to find a way to get your product cheep enough to were you could be competitive with places like newegg.

Now if new egg is buying 10000 HDD from brand X per month and you go and order 10 im willing to bet newegg is paying a lot less than you based on volume. So maybe they are paying $20 and selling for $35. Now you call to make your order and the price you get is $30 So you can sell for $33 and be the best buy and still make a small profit BUT big companies like newegg and frys can pay people to search the web for the lowest price then they match or beat that price. So some guy from newegg finds your site and say "hey thats cheeper than us we might loose some business here".... The next mourning neweggs price is $29 they still make $9 and you are out of the game.

So I would say if you want to work for yourself try this approach. Start with things you enjoy doing make the biggest list you can, this would be a compleatly different list for every person who did this. When you cant think of anything else you like to do start scanning the list to see if you think any of the items on that list might make you money in some way. It seems to me that anytime you see a success story about someone starting up a business. It is either some crazy new idea or its something they just enjoy doing like if you like working on cars open up a shop stuff like that. So if you like working with computers maybe you could open up a local repair shop. Im sure you could make a profit AND charge less than say geek squad. They charge $50 to install a GPU LMAO. You can install a GPU in 5mins and they charge $50 you could do it for $25 and make a profit.
April 15, 2011 1:34:54 AM

Hey guys,

Glad you imputed. I do not think drugs would be my deal.

I would like to star a business, I still do not know right now. Some say build computers. Where do I get the parts? I know to go to a Distributor to sell basic parts discreetly, but not builds.
April 15, 2011 1:42:24 PM

So I have this product:

AMD Phenom II 1090t.

Open Box.

How to sell it? I cannot use it right now and will want to get BD.
April 15, 2011 4:09:22 PM

dogman_1234 said:
So I have this product:

AMD Phenom II 1090t.

Open Box.

How to sell it? I cannot use it right now and will want to get BD.

craigslist,ebay,amazon :) 
!