Magic items make the game hiccup ??

Hello all.

I have a strange problem with SoA+ToB+TDD.

First I must say that I play under Linux with WineX (CVS version). When I
started to play, everything went fine: the frame rate and the animations
were beautiful and satisfying.

But, when I got towards the end of the Underdark part, something annoying
appeared: when I scroll the screen or when the characters walk, there is a
pause (about .2 sec) every second in the animations : walk - freeze - walk -
freeze etc. making the gameplay somewhat irritating.

I checked every config option I could, but got on results; I even upped the
frame rate, and got smoother gameplay when the game plays, but still the
same freezes.

I suspected a problem with the magic items I ha my characters wear (Shield
of Balduran, Cloak of Reflection, ...) and noticed that when they are
stripped, the freezing occurs no more.

Could you tell me if the same thing occurs under Windows (98, 2000, XP,
whatever) and if there is a cure, what is it?

Thanks.
See you.

--
Fabrice DELENTE
E-mail : fdelente@mail.cpod.fr

    The cloak of reflection uses a lot of graphical resources, with the cool
    looking sphere and also the humming sound uses quite a bit of sound card...
    so maybe thats the problem... (supposing the cloak of reflection is actually
    which I think it is, the one you find in Sahuagin city. is it?)

    Try setting the game to less deatils

    "Fabrice DELENTE" <fdelente@mail.cpod.fr> escribió en el mensaje

    > Hello all.
    >
    > I have a strange problem with SoA+ToB+TDD.
    >
    > First I must say that I play under Linux with WineX (CVS version). When I
    > started to play, everything went fine: the frame rate and the animations
    > were beautiful and satisfying.
    >
    > But, when I got towards the end of the Underdark part, something annoying
    > appeared: when I scroll the screen or when the characters walk, there is a
    > pause (about .2 sec) every second in the animations : walk - freeze -
    walk -
    > freeze etc. making the gameplay somewhat irritating.
    >
    > I checked every config option I could, but got on results; I even upped
    the
    > frame rate, and got smoother gameplay when the game plays, but still the
    > same freezes.
    >
    > I suspected a problem with the magic items I ha my characters wear (Shield
    > of Balduran, Cloak of Reflection, ...) and noticed that when they are
    > stripped, the freezing occurs no more.
    >
    > Could you tell me if the same thing occurs under Windows (98, 2000, XP,
    > whatever) and if there is a cure, what is it?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > See you.
    >
    > --
    > Fabrice DELENTE
    > E-mail : fdelente@mail.cpod.fr
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    One of the components of the Ease of Use mod turns off the visual aspect of
    that cloak (the cloak of eyestrain).
    "FmC" <antilopeloco@manquehue.not> wrote in message
    > The cloak of reflection uses a lot of graphical resources, with the cool
    > looking sphere and also the humming sound uses quite a bit of sound
    card...
    > so maybe thats the problem... (supposing the cloak of reflection is
    actually
    > which I think it is, the one you find in Sahuagin city. is it?)
    >
    > Try setting the game to less deatils
    >

    > "Fabrice DELENTE" <fdelente@mail.cpod.fr> escribió en el mensaje
    > >
    > > Hello all.
    > >
    > > I have a strange problem with SoA+ToB+TDD.
    > >
    > > First I must say that I play under Linux with WineX (CVS version). When
    > > started to play, everything went fine: the frame rate and the animations
    > > were beautiful and satisfying.
    > >
    > > But, when I got towards the end of the Underdark part, something
    annoying
    > > appeared: when I scroll the screen or when the characters walk, there is
    > > pause (about .2 sec) every second in the animations : walk - freeze -
    > walk -
    > > freeze etc. making the gameplay somewhat irritating.
    > >
    > > I checked every config option I could, but got on results; I even upped
    > the
    > > frame rate, and got smoother gameplay when the game plays, but still the
    > > same freezes.
    > >
    > > I suspected a problem with the magic items I ha my characters wear
    (Shield
    > > of Balduran, Cloak of Reflection, ...) and noticed that when they are
    > > stripped, the freezing occurs no more.
    > >
    > > Could you tell me if the same thing occurs under Windows (98, 2000, XP,
    > > whatever) and if there is a cure, what is it?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > See you.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Fabrice DELENTE
    > > E-mail : fdelente@mail.cpod.fr

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    FmC <antilopeloco@manquehue.not> a ecrit :
    > The cloak of reflection uses a lot of graphical resources, with the cool
    > looking sphere and also the humming sound uses quite a bit of sound card...
    > so maybe thats the problem... (supposing the cloak of reflection is actually
    > which I think it is, the one you find in Sahuagin city. is it?)

    Yes, that's one of those I use; another character wears a cloak of missile
    reflection.

    > Try setting the game to less deatils

    Will try. Thanks.

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE
    E-mail : fdelente@mail.cpod.fr

    After more investigations, it turns out that the problem is not
    graphics-related: even when I turn down the specs, the 'freezing' remains.

    However, I found a page on the Bioware forums that describes gave a hint: I
    had six scroll packs, three gem bags, a bag of holding and a potion case. It
    seems that these were the source of trouble: I kept only the bag of holding,
    one gem bag and the potion case, and the game is now much smoother (even
    with all the eye-candy and ambient sound on).

    What buggers me is that the Bioware page says that the latest patch should
    solve this problem, and I have patched ToB up to 2.5.26498, so I'm left with
    no solution (scroll cases and gem bags are so handy!)

    See you.

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE
    E-mail : fdelente@mail.cpod.fr

    "Fabrice DELENTE" <fdelente@mail.cpod.fr> wrote in message

    > Could you tell me if the same thing occurs under Windows (98, 2000, XP,
    > whatever) and if there is a cure, what is it?

    Ok,
    I believe the answers are: yes, yes, yes, and yes ;-)

    Items of regeneration (rings of gaxx, regeneration etc.) cause the "chicken
    walk"
    phenomenon you're experiencing.

    It started after your group members got their drow avatars, right? Do you
    have
    regen items eqipped? If so, unequip them and hopefully the game will run
    more
    smoothly.

    I believe the baldurdash fixpack helps this situation.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    kevin <completely@invalid.com> a ecrit :

    > Ok,
    > I believe the answers are: yes, yes, yes, and yes ;-)

    Good :^)

    > Items of regeneration (rings of gaxx, regeneration etc.) cause the "chicken
    > walk"
    > phenomenon you're experiencing.

    I have a Ioun stone, a ring of regeneration and the ring of Gaxx. But the
    problem occured after I had the ring of regen for quite a long time.

    > It started after your group members got their drow avatars, right?

    Yes, but not immediately after.

    > Do you have regen items eqipped? If so, unequip them and hopefully the
    > game will run more smoothly.

    Will try this.

    > I believe the baldurdash fixpack helps this situation.

    And I will investigate this.

    Thanks.
    See you.

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE
    E-mail : fdelente@mail.cpod.fr

    ***some spoilers***

    This is a common problem caused by all of the effects you have on you by
    this point. The only way of stopping it that I've found is by disabling the
    drow animation caused by the silver dragons illusion spell on you. This is a
    component of the ease of use mod which, if you don't already have, you can
    get from www.weidu.org.

    "Fabrice DELENTE" <fdelente@mail.cpod.fr> wrote in message

    > Hello all.
    >
    > I have a strange problem with SoA+ToB+TDD.
    >
    > First I must say that I play under Linux with WineX (CVS version). When I
    > started to play, everything went fine: the frame rate and the animations
    > were beautiful and satisfying.
    >
    > But, when I got towards the end of the Underdark part, something annoying
    > appeared: when I scroll the screen or when the characters walk, there is a
    > pause (about .2 sec) every second in the animations : walk - freeze -
    walk -
    > freeze etc. making the gameplay somewhat irritating.
    >
    > I checked every config option I could, but got on results; I even upped
    the
    > frame rate, and got smoother gameplay when the game plays, but still the
    > same freezes.
    >
    > I suspected a problem with the magic items I ha my characters wear (Shield
    > of Balduran, Cloak of Reflection, ...) and noticed that when they are
    > stripped, the freezing occurs no more.
    >
    > Could you tell me if the same thing occurs under Windows (98, 2000, XP,
    > whatever) and if there is a cure, what is it?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > See you.
    >
    > --
    > Fabrice DELENTE