Looking for a map of 1900 coverage

Last response: in Network Providers
May 22, 2005 12:36:42 PM

I'm thinking of getting a Nokia 9300, a high end smart phone.It's a
tri-band phone, and although Nokia originally announced that there would
be a U.S. version with the 850 band instead of the 900 band, it so far
has not appeared. The problem seems to be that Nokia is unwilling to
bring it out unless one of the U.S. cell phone companies sells it, and
so far none of them has taken it up.

So I would like to know how much coverage I would get if I only had the
1900 band in the U.S. So far I have been unable to find any map showing
Cingular's 1900 coverage--or anyone else's for that matter. Can anyone
point me at a source of such information?

--
Remove NOSPAM to email
Also remove .invalid

More about : map 1900 coverage

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:11:48 PM

"David Friedman" <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D dfr-BE8EC5.08364222052005@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net...
> I'm thinking of getting a Nokia 9300, a high end smart phone.It's a
> tri-band phone, and although Nokia originally announced that there would
> be a U.S. version with the 850 band instead of the 900 band, it so far
> has not appeared. The problem seems to be that Nokia is unwilling to
> bring it out unless one of the U.S. cell phone companies sells it, and
> so far none of them has taken it up.
>
> So I would like to know how much coverage I would get if I only had the
> 1900 band in the U.S. So far I have been unable to find any map showing
> Cingular's 1900 coverage--or anyone else's for that matter. Can anyone
> point me at a source of such information?
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM to email
> Also remove .invalid
> www.daviddfriedman.com

T-mobile is 1900 only in the US :
http://www.t-mobile.com/prepaid/coverage_popup.asp
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:31:19 PM

"Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "David Friedman" <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:D dfr-BE8EC5.08364222052005@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net...
>> I'm thinking of getting a Nokia 9300, a high end smart phone.It's a
>> tri-band phone, and although Nokia originally announced that there would
>> be a U.S. version with the 850 band instead of the 900 band, it so far
>> has not appeared. The problem seems to be that Nokia is unwilling to
>> bring it out unless one of the U.S. cell phone companies sells it, and
>> so far none of them has taken it up.
>>
>> So I would like to know how much coverage I would get if I only had the
>> 1900 band in the U.S. So far I have been unable to find any map showing
>> Cingular's 1900 coverage--or anyone else's for that matter. Can anyone
>> point me at a source of such information?
>>
>> --
>> Remove NOSPAM to email
>> Also remove .invalid
>> www.daviddfriedman.com
>
> T-mobile is 1900 only in the US :
> http://www.t-mobile.com/prepaid/coverage_popup.asp

Yes, t-mobile is only 1900. But the link you provided is only prepaid. Post
paid (or on a contract) is much different. The maps for the post paid is
here: http://compass.t-mobile.com/ T-mobile allows roaming on a lot of areas
that is not shown on the prepaid map. (Since prepaid people cannot roam off
of t-mobile.)
May 22, 2005 9:29:35 PM

In article <vvOdnWjK68RsUg3fRVn-sw@comcast.com>,
"Danska" <danskaNOSPAN@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "David Friedman" <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:D dfr-BE8EC5.08364222052005@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net...
> >> I'm thinking of getting a Nokia 9300, a high end smart phone.It's a
> >> tri-band phone, and although Nokia originally announced that there would
> >> be a U.S. version with the 850 band instead of the 900 band, it so far
> >> has not appeared. The problem seems to be that Nokia is unwilling to
> >> bring it out unless one of the U.S. cell phone companies sells it, and
> >> so far none of them has taken it up.
> >>
> >> So I would like to know how much coverage I would get if I only had the
> >> 1900 band in the U.S. So far I have been unable to find any map showing
> >> Cingular's 1900 coverage--or anyone else's for that matter. Can anyone
> >> point me at a source of such information?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Remove NOSPAM to email
> >> Also remove .invalid
> >> www.daviddfriedman.com
> >
> > T-mobile is 1900 only in the US :
> > http://www.t-mobile.com/prepaid/coverage_popup.asp
> >

> Yes, t-mobile is only 1900. But the link you provided is only prepaid. Post
> paid (or on a contract) is much different. The maps for the post paid is
> here: http://compass.t-mobile.com/ T-mobile allows roaming on a lot of areas
> that is not shown on the prepaid map. (Since prepaid people cannot roam off
> of t-mobile.)

Thanks to both of you.

I was actually asking about Cingular's 1900 coverage, since I am
currently a Cingular customer. I could imagine switching to t-mobile,
but I would prefer not to. Does anyone know where I would find maps
showing what areas Cingular had 1900 coverage in.

--
Remove NOSPAM to email
Also remove .invalid

"Danska" <danskaNOSPAN@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "David Friedman" <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:D dfr-BE8EC5.08364222052005@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net...
> >> I'm thinking of getting a Nokia 9300, a high end smart phone.It's a
> >> tri-band phone, and although Nokia originally announced that there
would
> >> be a U.S. version with the 850 band instead of the 900 band, it so far
> >> has not appeared. The problem seems to be that Nokia is unwilling to
> >> bring it out unless one of the U.S. cell phone companies sells it, and
> >> so far none of them has taken it up.
> >>
> >> So I would like to know how much coverage I would get if I only had the
> >> 1900 band in the U.S. So far I have been unable to find any map showing
> >> Cingular's 1900 coverage--or anyone else's for that matter. Can anyone
> >> point me at a source of such information?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Remove NOSPAM to email
> >> Also remove .invalid
> >> www.daviddfriedman.com
> >
> > T-mobile is 1900 only in the US :
> > http://www.t-mobile.com/prepaid/coverage_popup.asp
> >

> Yes, t-mobile is only 1900. But the link you provided is only prepaid.
Post
> paid (or on a contract) is much different. The maps for the post paid is
> here: http://compass.t-mobile.com/ T-mobile allows roaming on a lot of
areas
> that is not shown on the prepaid map. (Since prepaid people cannot roam
off
> of t-mobile.)

Do you know if any of that roaming is 850 ? I wan't sure so I used the
prepaid t-mpbile only.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:16:25 AM

"David Friedman" <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D dfr-BE8EC5.08364222052005@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net...
> I'm thinking of getting a Nokia 9300, a high end smart phone.It's a
> tri-band phone, and although Nokia originally announced that there would
> be a U.S. version with the 850 band instead of the 900 band, it so far
> has not appeared. The problem seems to be that Nokia is unwilling to
> bring it out unless one of the U.S. cell phone companies sells it, and
> so far none of them has taken it up.
>
> So I would like to know how much coverage I would get if I only had the
> 1900 band in the U.S. So far I have been unable to find any map showing
> Cingular's 1900 coverage--or anyone else's for that matter. Can anyone
> point me at a source of such information?

This is a bad idea. In some areas, i.e. the SF Bay Area, there will
eventually be no 1900 Mhz coverage by Cingular (they are selling the 1900
Mhz network to T-Mobile). Furthermore, carriers have a history of not
allowing roaming when you are in an area that they serve.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:14:10 AM

> "Danska" <danskaNOSPAN@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "David Friedman" <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > news:D dfr-BE8EC5.08364222052005@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net...
> would

>> > T-mobile is 1900 only in the US :
>> > http://www.t-mobile.com/prepaid/coverage_popup.asp
>> >

>> Yes, t-mobile is only 1900. But the link you provided is only prepaid.
> Post
>> paid (or on a contract) is much different. The maps for the post paid is
>> here: http://compass.t-mobile.com/ T-mobile allows roaming on a lot of
> areas
>> that is not shown on the prepaid map. (Since prepaid people cannot roam
> off
>> of t-mobile.)
>>

> Do you know if any of that roaming is 850 ? I wan't sure so I used the
> prepaid t-mpbile only.

Yes, but it may or may not be on the maps. I can roam in a few places here
in illinois that is not on the maps. Who really knows what the coverage is
with t-mobile. From what i have heard, they allow roaming on unicel, western
wireless and dobson.
To see a list, go here:
http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/roa_uswe.shtml

just scroll down to united states. (unless your just curious. I was. LoL )
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:16:07 AM

"David Friedman" <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D dfr-D5F2B2.17293422052005@news.isp.giganews.com...
> In article <vvOdnWjK68RsUg3fRVn-sw@comcast.com>,
> "Danska" <danskaNOSPAN@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "David Friedman" <ddfr@daviddfriedman.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > news:D dfr-BE8EC5.08364222052005@newsread1.mlpsca01.us.to.verio.net...

>> > T-mobile is 1900 only in the US :
>> > http://www.t-mobile.com/prepaid/coverage_popup.asp
>> >

>> Yes, t-mobile is only 1900. But the link you provided is only prepaid.
>> Post
>> paid (or on a contract) is much different. The maps for the post paid is
>> here: http://compass.t-mobile.com/ T-mobile allows roaming on a lot of
>> areas
>> that is not shown on the prepaid map. (Since prepaid people cannot roam
>> off
>> of t-mobile.)
>
> Thanks to both of you.
>
> I was actually asking about Cingular's 1900 coverage, since I am
> currently a Cingular customer. I could imagine switching to t-mobile,
> but I would prefer not to. Does anyone know where I would find maps
> showing what areas Cingular had 1900 coverage in.
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM to email
> Also remove .invalid
> www.daviddfriedman.com

Ah ok, that's a lot different. From what i heard, and this may or may not be
true.. Ex-Attws is 1900 in most places with a few places using 850 also.
Cingular is all 850 with the exceptions of the carolinas, ca, nv. (I think.
Someone here will know..)
!