Overloading mobo?

ohhgourami

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I have an Asus P8Z68-V-LX mobo and I was wondering if I'm overloading it. I currently have 3 fans plugged directly into the headers and 2 into my PSU and sometimes when I try to add a 6th, my mouse (usb) and keyboard (PS/2) stop working. When I startup my computer, it will turn off before the BIOS screen and auto restart as if I pushed my OC too far.

Here is the specs for my rig:
i5-2500K OC'ed @ 4.5ghz
Asus P8Z68-V-LX mobo
2x4gb ram 1600mhz
Seasonic X-750 watt PSU
HD 6850
2x SSD
5x 120mm fans

Can anyone explain why adding fans screw up the power on the rear I/O ports and causes weird startups?

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Wow.......that is a lot of over clocking! I would be more likely to think that it's a coincidence that adding a sixth fan causes your issues, and that you need to back off on the over clocking. I certainly could be wrong here.....but, I bet you would have about the same performance at 4.0ghz. it's worth a try, anyway...... I have thought about your issue, and just dont see how adding a sixth fan could cause your issue, unless it's a faulty psu. But, on the other hand, do you really need 6 120mm fans?

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
It could be some sort of over voltage protection thing. I think motherboards run at about 1.5volts. So daisy chaining multiple fans on the same header may trigger a safety feature of the motherboard.

ohhgourami

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
4.5Ghz OC is very normal for a 2500k. Going higher gets difficult, but either way, I get the same issue even when I have it on stock clocks.

The 3 fans are plugged into their own headers. 2 fans are directly into the PSU via molex. I have a noctua nh-d14 so thats 2 fans. I also have 3 case fans. Sometimes I even have this problem with 5 fans plugged in. I do need a lot of fans as the OC gets hot and I like running them at low rpm.

Is it really possible that it is a faulty PSU?