Sign in with
Your question

New computer not booting, RAM possibly at fault.

Last response: in Motherboards
April 9, 2012 4:08:48 AM

Hello, I recently put together a computer for a friend and everything was going good until I turned it on.

When I turn it on, I get nothing. It's as if nothing is even plugged in to the monitor. I ruled out the monitor as the issue, I tried four different screens of different sizes.

I've also ruled out all incompatibilities except for the RAM. I put in 2 four gig sticks of Kingston KHX1333C9D3B1K2, only to realize that this type was not on the verified compatible list after I got it.

I found another set of 3 four gig sticks that are on the verified compatible list (Kingston KVR1333D3N9K3)

I have a couple more days left to return the ones I already bought, so I thought I'd run this past you fine folks and see if there's anything else I might have forgotten, overlooked, or just not known before I waste the vendor's time.

Here are the parts used in the build:
RAM: (2x4GB) KHX1333C9D3B1K2
Graphics card: ATI Radeon 5850
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
CPU unit: AMD FX 6100 - 3.3 GHz (six core)
Hard Drive: Barracuda 7200 1Tb
Power Supply: 850 watts

What happens when I boot up:
The monitor does not respond in any way when the computer is turned on, it might as well not be plugged in. Everything looks right internally except for a red led light labeled "DRAM led" which is a solid light.

Additional information:
Most rookie mistakes have been ruled out, I double checked all of the connections, installed everything correctly to the best of my knowledge (only third build, so I'm not infallible), all fans are working, all parts have power. The fact that I don't get any response to turning it on is what baffles me, it makes it hard to work with. (Should incompatible RAM complete prevent the computer from showing up on the monitor?) Also, I've looked through this forum's troubleshooting guide and I've tried everything that sounded likely.

Thanks a lot for your consideration, I'll watch this carefully so I can provide any extra information anyone might need.
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 4:41:18 AM

Any reason why you seem so stuck on Kingston?
GSkill Ripjaws and Corsair Vengeance have much higher ratings.

One of the reviews of that motherboard says it's a bit finicky about RAM so definitely get RAM on the approved list. I'd look for GSkill or Corsair over any other Kingston.
m
l
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 471 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 5:01:07 AM

the pull you hair starts in 3..2..1..
the mb vendor without a lot of bios updates the fx cpu wont post.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97/#CPU...

it also shows on the mb cpu list that the mb wont run without the updated bios loaded.
if you bought it or have a local shop that can drop in another cpu to flash yours or send the mb back and get one from a vendor that run the fx with the stock bios.
m
l
Related resources
April 9, 2012 5:05:45 AM

sharkbyte5150 said:
Any reason why you seem so stuck on Kingston?
GSkill Ripjaws and Corsair Vengeance have much higher ratings.

One of the reviews of that motherboard says it's a bit finicky about RAM so definitely get RAM on the approved list. I'd look for GSkill or Corsair over any other Kingston.

No particular fixation on Kingston, it just happened to be cheap to be honest, I was on a 450 dollar budget. I have a bit left though, so if you think it's important I'll gladly take a recommendation from you on something that might work well for this build.
m
l
April 9, 2012 5:13:34 AM

smorizio said:
the pull you hair starts in 3..2..1..
the mb vendor without a lot of bios updates the fx cpu wont post.

it also shows on the mb cpu list that the mb wont run without the updated bios loaded.
if you bought it or have a local shop that can drop in another cpu to flash yours or send the mb back and get one from a vendor that run the fx with the stock bios.

I'm sorry, I don't get what much of that means. Can you please put it in layman's terms for me? Also, when you say "drop in another cpu to flash yours" is that something I could do myself provided I have another working computer with a compatible processor? Thanks for your time.
m
l
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 471 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 5:51:59 AM

look under supported cpu.
mb have a small chip called a bios chip it like the starter in your car. it tells the cpu what hard drive and other iteams are connected to the mb. these chips have to have a small code that called cpu id info. they have to have that becuase during the life of the mb there may be two or three new cpu that come out. with your mb the first bios was rev 0503. if you look at the cpu support list it all the older amd chips. the fx chips wont post unless bios 0803 or latter is in the bios. mb vendors are know putting in the hardware to flash motherboard bios without the need of a cpu installed. just a usb stick. your mb does not have that feature. you could send the mb back and ask for one with the newest bios installed. 2. fine a cpu that on the list and see if the mb will post. I dont recomed pulling a working pc apart...to easy to bend cpu pins...or if there a real issue with the new mb you could fry the other cpu. 3. you can send the mb back that you have and look on new egg or online what mb will use your cpu without having to update the bios before you can use it.
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:18:18 AM

smorizio said:
look under supported cpu.
mb have a small chip called a bios chip it like the starter in your car. it tells the cpu what hard drive and other iteams are connected to the mb. these chips have to have a small code that called cpu id info. they have to have that becuase during the life of the mb there may be two or three new cpu that come out. with your mb the first bios was rev 0503. if you look at the cpu support list it all the older amd chips. the fx chips wont post unless bios 0803 or latter is in the bios. mb vendors are know putting in the hardware to flash motherboard bios without the need of a cpu installed. just a usb stick. your mb does not have that feature. you could send the mb back and ask for one with the newest bios installed. 2. fine a cpu that on the list and see if the mb will post. I dont recomed pulling a working pc apart...to easy to bend cpu pins...or if there a real issue with the new mb you could fry the other cpu. 3. you can send the mb back that you have and look on new egg or online what mb will use your cpu without having to update the bios before you can use it.

So theoretically if I (being mindful of the risks) wanted to try using my other processor to try to get the motherboard to work, how would I go about doing that? Just unplug them both, swap the processor into the new computer, get it running, and then switch it out one the computer is functional? I will try your other suggestions if necessary, but I'm so close to budget on this thing already I don't know that I have the funds to.
m
l
April 9, 2012 5:27:53 PM

sharkbyte5150 said:
Did you try putting the latest BIOS revision on a USB drive and flashing the BIOS using that file yet?

Look at this:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2750...
Save the zip file for 1102 Bios update and put the ROM file on a USB drive and try to go into your BIOS and load that file.

Also, for RAM here's one I'd recommend.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Alright, if that one's compatible I'll put in an order later today, thank you.

Also, if I put the BIOS update on a usb, will I actually be able to load it? The issue I'm having is that the computer won't even get to the BIOS screen. Nothing at all happens on the monitor when I turn the computer on.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 7:11:08 PM

If you can't get into the BIOS, try to RMA and replace the board because like you said, you should get SOME kind of response if RAM is bad or not loaded.
m
l
!