Ultra-low-power / Mobile Computer?

lejason

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
So, as is the trends these days, I am jumping on board the UAV craze but for my project I want to get a full-blown computer airborne on an RC helicopter.

Physical Requirements:
- Small (<= FlexATX, maybe uATX)
- Extremely light (<= 5 lbs total)
- Run on an independent PWS/battery (obviously :p)
- Battery must support full load (whatever that ends up being) for 1 hour.

Processing Requirements:
- Support 3 USB ports (2.0 is fine)
- Pretty heavy transcoding in real-time (input 1,920×1,080, output 1280×720, probably compressed around 3.1 in h.264)
- Solid-state hard drive (its going to be a physically jarring working environmental :p)
- Enough ram/hd space to support OS (probably some lite-linux distro but windows 7 would be ideal if the hardware can carry it)

Now, I know there are probably a billion ways to solve for those variables so here are some specific questions.

Questions:
1) Where do I look for batteries and how do they work? Do they just come in [whatever] watts and output in standard 24-pin ATX/eATX? Or is it some special standard/connection? Can I get some links? All I seem to find on Google are laptop batteries (and those seem too proprietary to be useful)

2) What is the best mobo/type setup for that - something like SOM (or system-on-a-board) or just a straight up atx board? Links?

3) I am liking ATX fusion chips for this (maybe c-50/c-60 or even e-450 if the battery can afford the power) but if there are any reasons for Atom (or some other chip?) I would like to hear about it. Thoughts?

lejason

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Well, that's a little out of the scope of my hardware questions hehe...but - yeah, more or less; assume that the vehicle can life 5-8 pounds.

lejason

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Yeah...sigh....I was thinking that same thing - but before I went out and bought an Air (that will most likely die in a fiery crash) I thought I would check if there were other options. thanks :)