• NICs
  • Wireless Router
  • Routers
  • D-Link
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
July 26, 2011 3:01:42 PM

I need to buy a new wireless router, for my D-link WBR-2310 router seems to be completely dead. After trying everything and being unable to get to the router web page interface, I decided it is dead and time to buy another router. Yesterday, I tried to reset it to its factory settings one more time, but the lights never blinked indicating that the reset took place.

Because of all expenses I had in the last few weeks (I bought a new laptop, for instance), I can only spend about $80 on a good new wireless router. I'd rather stay away from D-link since this router failed after a couple of years, and it gave me lots of headaches in the beginning. Besides, I had to reboot the router at least once a day and sometimes more than once a day so that everyone in my apartment could have WIFI.

I'd appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

More about : recommendation buying wireless router

July 26, 2011 8:42:04 PM

I am thinking to buy either Netgear WNDR3700/3400 or D-Link DIR-655. I'd rather stay away for D-Link because of previous bad experience with D-Link, but I will entertain any comments and/or suggestions. Thanks.
m
l
July 26, 2011 8:55:50 PM

In my experience, all the brand name routers pretty much to the same. The netgear looks good. Wireless N is nice to have should bust it's signal threw walls pretty nicely.

You say you needed to reboot your router once a day so everyone in your apartment could use it? How many people are we talking about? 5-10 people? Do you have WPA key on it? If you don't, you could have a neighbor who likes torrenting and is stealing your bandwidth..

if you're a big techy - you can do what i did and build your own router (using an old PC) with SmoothWall and my awesome Meraki Wireless Access Point.

Smoothwall
meraki
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2011 9:57:16 PM

I've been using this D-Link router (DIR-825), it hasn't crashed once for the whole year I've owned it, I'm a pretty heavy user aswell with quite alot of wireless (12x devices) and wired (36x devices) devices connected to it.
m
l
July 26, 2011 10:52:30 PM

I have a belkin and am happy with it. I would not buy a linksys router ever after having 2 back to back not work.
m
l

Best solution

July 26, 2011 11:40:04 PM

I have been using a Dlink Dir-655 for several years, it has never had a problem or required rebooting.
Wireless-N works well.
I have also installed it on my son's pc without a problem.

I am NO expert on routers, but this one has to be the easiest to install ever. The instructions are very good, and the web interface is good also.
I do not use any of the sophisticated capabilities $70:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-127-...
July 27, 2011 3:17:30 AM

rozz said:
In my experience, all the brand name routers pretty much to the same. The netgear looks good. Wireless N is nice to have should bust it's signal threw walls pretty nicely.

You say you needed to reboot your router once a day so everyone in your apartment could use it? How many people are we talking about? 5-10 people? Do you have WPA key on it? If you don't, you could have a neighbor who likes torrenting and is stealing your bandwidth..

if you're a big techy - you can do what i did and build your own router (using an old PC) with SmoothWall and my awesome Meraki Wireless Access Point.

Smoothwall
meraki

My apartment is only a 2-bedroom apartment and there were only 3 people living in while once in a while a 4th person comes with access to our wireless LAN. I wireless LAN was secured under WPA2 security protocol with a very long secured key, I personally set up each person at home including the visiting 4th person, my daughter. I am sure that nobody was stealing our signal even though the router went back and forth to some simple setting without the WPA2 until I was able to figure out how not to lose the LAN security. I am techy, but I would not be able to build my own router. Thus, I prefer to get a new router as I mentioned earlier. Anyhow, thanks for your comments.
m
l
July 27, 2011 3:21:54 AM

christop said:
I have a belkin and am happy with it. I would not buy a linksys router ever after having 2 back to back not work.

I would not buy a linksys either. When I was single and living in a very small apartment, I have a wired router, one a linksys, which I was not able to make it work, and the last one was a Netgear, which I loved. Now I need a wireless solution, and this is what I am trying to find such a solution. So far I found out that the routers I mentioned are the ones which I am considering to buy, but again I will entertain other options. Thanks.
m
l
August 16, 2011 11:36:58 PM

Best answer selected by orestesdd.
m
l
!